Australian And New Zealand Resources Discusion

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Thu Jul 10, 2014 04:40

Great news! This was sent to me from Ken Grimmond at Hansen's:

Hi Ursula

"I have spoken with MBL and they are willing to stock MOULD 600 culture

We are applying for import permits via AQIS and the turnaround is normally 6-8 weeks for approvals

I`ve copied David from MBL on this email and I`m sure he or one of his team will let you know when stock is available

Please let your group know the good news and support MBL if you require any further ingredients

They have excellent products & technical support."
How about that! We have moved mountains. Well done, everyone!
Ursula
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 10, 2014 08:57

Hi All
has anyone salted our Australian Salmon yet ...Is it worth the bother?..What about smoking it too?
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 09:25

Hi Aaron,
I've actually never cured and smoked an Australian Salmon. It's more a southern fish.
You better have ago at smoking them, curing recipes are on the Net everywhere.
I have smoked lots of Taylor(Skipjack to you may be) and Sea Mullet as well, both are fatty fish and smoke well.
Salmon might be different but have a go. you might be surprised.
If you need a curing recipe, just PM or email me. I have to check my notes first.
I bet my short and curlies that there is a fisherman living near you that smokes fish.
Ask the local Coppers, they'll know!!
Cheers,
JanO
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Thu Jul 10, 2014 09:31

Hi Aaron,I regularly smoke salmon. I buy the fillets from the market and brine them in 80% brine and after washing them and letting them dry at room temperature I smoke them on and off for two days in the cold smoker. Delicious!I've also warm smoked them.
Some I vacseal and freeze, others I use over a period of three or 4 weeks. I still cook them for eating, or use them as the star of a salad plate. With peppercorn mustard and a potato salad, it makes a delicious meal.
Marianski has some instructions in his book too.
Ursula
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:40

Ursula,

This is fantastic news! A mountain indeed.

Jan
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:48

Ursula, congratulations! Well done, my dear! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:21

Crusty wrote:
Hi Aaron,
I've actually never cured and smoked an Australian Salmon. It's more a southern fish.
You better have ago at smoking them, curing recipes are on the Net everywhere.
I have smoked lots of Taylor(Skipjack to you may be) and Sea Mullet as well, both are fatty fish and smoke well.
Salmon might be different but have a go. you might be surprised.
If you need a curing recipe, just PM or email me. I have to check my notes first.
I bet my short and curlies that there is a fisherman living near you that smokes fish.
Ask the local Coppers, they'll know!!
Cheers,
JanO
Hi guys,
Just a little tip for smoking fish. Be sure to use a separately designated fish smoker or a big cardboard box. If you smoke fish in your regular smoker, everything in the future will taste like fish. It seems like it takes forever to get the fishy odor out of the smokehouse. I've even tried lining my racks with foil but it still tastes like fish. Just think... your next batch of smoked kabanosy could end up smellin' and tasting just like stinky sturgeon. :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Thu Jul 10, 2014 13:59

Never had it, but my fishing friends said it is really nice. Otherwise you have to eat it fresh... unless you like cat food.
J
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 10, 2014 14:55

First of I need to thank Ursula for getting MBL to come to the party...Well done...And thanks very much for CW and Crusty's responses
I unfortunately have missed this seasons Salmon now so I won't be able to experiment until next year but I will give it a go...If I can turn this fish into something useful then I'll be talk of the town!!!...I will certainly try other varieties of fish to cure as I'm wanting to make a Brandade de Morue...traditionally made with cod but I'll take a look at our local fish market and see what may work best.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jul 10, 2014 18:17

I was thinking that if it was a pink-meat salmon that it would smoke up real nice, I even do Eagle Lake trout the same way as salmon because the meat is pink and very similar. Then I checked the net and found this:

"Arripis trutta, known as kahawai in New Zealand and as the Eastern Australian salmon in Australia, is one of four species of marine fish within the Arripis genus, found in cooler waters around the south eastern coast of Australia and New Zealand. Although it is referred to as a salmon in Australia, it is not related to salmons of the family Salmonidae."

A picture of the fish showed it to be built more like something in the tuna family, very sleek, probably a real strong and fast swimmer. I love tuna and it's a real favorite when eaten fresh, tried smoking it once and didn't like it, and we don't like after it's been frozen. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 20:39

To all Australian Members.
I had a better look at the MBLSA website. They just about stock everything we need.
Their stockholdings of Wiberg spice and ready made mixes is staggering.
Good prices too on casings, bungs, middles, meat cultures and shortly Bactoferm 600.
May I suggest that we buy as much as possible from them.
If we don't show some sort of support, the bactoferm 600 might deleted for obvious reasons.
I have purchased from them before, postage, freight charges are very competitive and best of all, they love to give advise on all their products.
My 2 cents worth.
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 21:38

Aaron, you wrote:
Hi All
has anyone salted our Australian Salmon yet ...Is it worth the bother?..What about smoking it too?
Here is some information that may be of help. A little about salmon smoking and two different recipes, one bland - one a little stronger. Smoked fish is better than candy!
Link here... http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=6961#6961

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Fri Jul 11, 2014 01:24

Chuckwagon wrote:Here is some information that may be of help. A little about salmon smoking and two different recipes, one bland - one a little stronger. Smoked fish is better than candy!
Link here... http://wedlinydomowe.pl/e...php?p=6961#6961
Thanks for the recipe Chuckwagon......We have some good Red and Pink Snapper down our way which is top class eating and is a good firm meat . Groper is perhaps another fish I could try.
We can buy Tasmanian Salmon here but it's not a local catch and I try and buy what has been freshly caught out on our continental shelf (indian sea)..On the way to Antartica!!
As for a more oily fish then our Sardines might be the go!
I want to also make air dried salt fish ..Bocalo I think it's called....It's good for stocks and stews and I can also make a type of fish Rillete with it.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Fri Jul 11, 2014 01:34

I was trying to find a cure #2 and came across an MBL product called "Salami Cure 3120023...It has the Nitrate/Nitite ratio with Fermented rice added. I did not buy it direct at the time but they distribute from Perth WA

Tel. 08 9334 9600
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 07:52

Hi Aaron,
Plain Cure #1 and #2, US manufactured, is for sale at Misty Gully in Victoria.
Everybody in Australia seem to be manufacturing a variety of cures.
I prefer to stick to the above ones because most recipes I like list it in their ingredients.
Saves converting them to local cures and a lot less mistakes.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.