Australian And New Zealand Resources Discusion

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 22, 2014 03:43

Welcome Anna! Nice to have you visit! Always a pleasure to have the distinguished Queen of the kitchen here!
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 00:50

ANNAM wrote:Hi Croc,

You can get pig's blood from a butcher at the Dandenong market.
oh wow, always the case of something being right under your nose and not knowing about it :D

which one is it? TC Quality Meats?
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 00:53

oneills wrote:Hi Croc.
There are only 2 abbatoirs East of Melbourne that kill pigs. Gathercoles at Carrum Downs and Gordyns at Sale. I have used Gordyns before but kill my pigs at home now. I doubt whether you will be able to import pigs blood due to quaratine laws. You are welcome to take blood next time i kill skme of mine but next lot may not be till June.

Cheers
Steve
thanks for the offer i might take you up on it in june, btw how hard is to butcher whole pig if you never done anything like that before?
ANNAM

Post by ANNAM » Thu Oct 23, 2014 04:12

redzed wrote:Welcome Anna! Nice to have you visit! Always a pleasure to have the distinguished Queen of the kitchen here!
Thank you.
Hi Croc,
I'm not sure of the name but there's only one butcher that sells pork. I will be going there tomorrow and can check the price for you if you want.
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:44

ANNAM wrote:
redzed wrote:Welcome Anna! Nice to have you visit! Always a pleasure to have the distinguished Queen of the kitchen here!
Thank you.
Hi Croc,
I'm not sure of the name but there's only one butcher that sells pork. I will be going there tomorrow and can check the price for you if you want.
if there is only one then it is TC Quality Meats that i been buying meat from, can't believe i never noticed they have blood, or you have to ask for it?
i'm not going to the market till next tuesday so please check the price for me, very curious about it now, can't wait to make my own kaszanka :)
ANNAM

Post by ANNAM » Fri Oct 24, 2014 05:11

Hi Croc,
I checked out the prices and for one container is $2.50. I think that one container is around half a litre.

Which recipe are you using for making kaszanka?
Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 24, 2014 23:49

Croc wrote:thanks guys, will order from ebay, hope customs don't have issue with it :O

other question i have is in regards to wild boar or deer meat testing, i got someone offering me some meat for bottle of scotch in return, he hunts on his land so i'm wondering what i need to worry about before i use such meat for sausages
G'ay Croc, I haven't dropped in here for a while and things sure have been happening.
Re local Gippsland wild shot venison. Our family and thousands of Sambar Deer hunters have been eating it for decades with no ill affects or parasites that can affect humans that I know of.

A few other breeds of wild deer in Gippsland also, all palatable and clean as far as I know, ie Red and Fallow.

Since the 80's I have made many 100's of KG's of venison products and now only use pork fat in the super lean sambar meat mixes. Tried lamb/mutton/beef, none of them near as good as pork fat.

Lean sambar mince w/o added fat is brilliant in rissoles and pasta sauces.

If I had some spare in the freezer we'd soon work out an exchange.
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:43

ANNAM wrote:Hi Croc,
I checked out the prices and for one container is $2.50. I think that one container is around half a litre.

Which recipe are you using for making kaszanka?
great to know, thank you so much for this tip about location and price update

i'm trying to hunt down my old neighbour from poland for recipe, my mother got his phone number so fingers crossed as i remember his kaszanka was outstanding, and considering how he finished off the links with toothpicks i'm guessing he got his skills from some old school expert.
if my mother can't get it off him i will pick one of the recipes on polish side of this very forums.
will make a post once i get my head around doing this
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 15:03

Pete wrote:
Croc wrote:thanks guys, will order from ebay, hope customs don't have issue with it :O

other question i have is in regards to wild boar or deer meat testing, i got someone offering me some meat for bottle of scotch in return, he hunts on his land so i'm wondering what i need to worry about before i use such meat for sausages
G'ay Croc, I haven't dropped in here for a while and things sure have been happening.
Re local Gippsland wild shot venison. Our family and thousands of Sambar Deer hunters have been eating it for decades with no ill affects or parasites that can affect humans that I know of.

A few other breeds of wild deer in Gippsland also, all palatable and clean as far as I know, ie Red and Fallow.

Since the 80's I have made many 100's of KG's of venison products and now only use pork fat in the super lean sambar meat mixes. Tried lamb/mutton/beef, none of them near as good as pork fat.

Lean sambar mince w/o added fat is brilliant in rissoles and pasta sauces.

If I had some spare in the freezer we'd soon work out an exchange.
hi pete, thanks for you post, i belong under "better safe than sorry" category that is why if if isn't huge trouble (and cost) i wouldn't mind paying for meat testing.
but meat is not tested what would be correct way of processing such wild meats to destroy any possible issues?
Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:53

I'm not aware of any problems or issues so can't really indicate what preventative cooking/handling procedure(s) could be carried out.

If any doubts held then I guess testing would be the best way to clear them up.

I understand about 40,000 sambar / annum are taken by hunters, a lot of meat is taken home and utilised with no ill affects that I know of or have ever heard referred to.

P.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 27, 2014 17:36

Hi Croc,

I'm not a hunter but like to make sausages using venison and elk meat. Last year I got some really nice venison from my brother in law. I boned out the carcass myself, trimming well and inspecting the meat carefully. I made smoked saysage, some dry cured salami and also dry cured the loins. I normally would not have made salami or the loins if the meat was just given to me, but I would have no problem in making a sausage that is smoked to an IT of 72°
Take a look here:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/poultry-and-game/game

Proper dressing of the animal, cleanliness and cooling down of the meat as soon as possible are the most important steps in assuring that your meat is safe. Game meat may can be contaminated with bacteria, viruses or parasites that can cause illness, and you have to make sure that it is throughly cooked. If the meat is from an experienced hunter, like Pete, your risk level is much lower. And you can also check with your local wildlife authorities to learn of any current issues that might exist.
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Tue Dec 16, 2014 13:17

got quick question for the locals, got some curing salt called kur kwik but sticker on the packet rubbed off on dosage info and i was hoping to use it tonight so fingers crossed someone else knows this product.
it is by corona (australia manufacturer) their website is poor (at best) so there is virtually no extra info http://www.corona.com.au/store/g/5-cure ... -injection

unlike my other cure #1 this one is 12% instead of 6.25% so i would have to half the dosage
confirmation if someone is till up would be great or if someone got photo of sticker without dosage rubbed off

TIA
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 16, 2014 21:07

Is this what you are looking for?

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 00:10

Croc,
Red has the correct label of the Kwik-Urit. I have a small container here but have never used it.
I prefer the USA made cure #1 and #2., 99% of the recipes in books I have lists cure 1 & 2.
The Kwit-Urit doesn't list any instructions for dry curing either. Piss poor as far as I am concerned.
Sorry, I only read your post this morning.
Cheers,
Jan.
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 02:30

thanks guys, mine turns out to be 12% not 11%
i sort of worked it out last night backwards from what wasn't rubbed off and was able to confirm it today with manufacturer so i can go ahead with my batch :)

i prefer cure #1 as well but what i had expired and that is what i got and really wanted to do first part last night