Mushrooms

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
redzed

Mushrooms

Post by redzed » Thu Oct 18, 2018 17:10

Mushroom season is here! Although the picking is getting harder due to logging, more people picking and the dry summers, I managed to gather a few. Yesterday I spent all day in a thick forest and managed to find only about 3 lbs of chanterelles. But I also had a few good days in the past couple of weeks. Will be back in the forest tomorrow.

Chanterelles and angel wings

Chanterelles, pines (matsutake) and admirable boletes

Chanterelles and admirable boletes
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Oct 18, 2018 23:42

I wish I knew enough about mushrooms to go pick them but I don't think we have anything like what you have. I'm envious. I have tried growing shitakes with mixed results.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 13:33

That's something I think Tadek would like to do, unfortunately as you know, kinda limited out this way. Looks yummy !!!!
JjNUrK
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Oct 19, 2018 15:11

Most of the mushrooms around me will have you seeing unicorns and soppressata flying through the air.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 20, 2018 16:28

Butterbean wrote:Most of the mushrooms around me will have you seeing unicorns and soppressata flying through the air.
Hey we've got those here too! In fact I've run across people looking for those only and not for something for dinner. :grin:
jjnurk wrote:That's something I think Tadek would like to do, unfortunately as you know, kinda limited out this way. Looks yummy !!!!
Maybe, but picking mushrooms here is not exactly a walk in the park. It often requires a long walk through thick bush, going over and under fallen trees and not seeing where you are stepping. Chanterelles also like to grow on hills and it requires a lot of climbing. You also have a risk of getting lost. A couple people die each year in BC looking for shrooms. It's getting harder for me all the time. When you get home after an outing you are pretty tired and then you have a few hours work cleaning the mushrooms. I was up until almost midnight last night. But it's addictive and I'm going back into the forest today. :lol:

Yesterday I spent most the day searching for new spots and found almost nothing. Then just about when I was ready to give up I found an area where I picked all those chanterelles within 150 feet of each other. When I got home I took the dog for a walk and two minutes from the house was rewarded with a flush of beautiful worm free Prince mushrooms (agaricus augustus). They smell like almonds and sauteed in butter with garlic and a dash of lemon the Prince is one of the tastiest mushrooms there is.

Chanterelles

Prince mushrroms
JasonB

Post by JasonB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 16:42

Hey Redzed, glad to see another mushroom hunter on the board. Here in Texas we don't find many chanterelles but enough to make a few meals. We do find lots of honey mushrooms, oysters, milk caps and boletes. The good part about mushroom hunting in Texas is NO one does it. Most people look at you weird if you have a basket full of mushrooms..lol

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 12, 2019 07:49

That is a nice collection Jason! I love the colour of your chanterelles and it would be great to compare the taste with our Pacific variety. You are lucky that you have no competition in the forest. It used to be like that here but in the last several years more and more people are stomping around in our favorite places. Mushroom shows, Facebook groups and community classes on foraging and cooking with wild foodstuffs are the reasons.