New contest - recipe of the month

All important news and announcements will be posted here.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 06:35

And the winner of Wedliny Domowe`s "Hall Of Fame" monthly contest, you know... it the one called, " Winning & Proven Sausage Recipes... Reliable, Endorsed, Confirmed & Validated... Accredited, Recommended & Guaranteed... Solidly Supported, Superior, and Sanctioned Sausage Recipes" (whew!) :roll: - for the month of June 2011, is.......... DaveZak with his recipe called "Hickory Hill Hot Italian". Hickory Hill is the name of Dave`s farm in western New York state.

Congratulations Dave! It`s a winning recipe... (but I`m sure glad you tamed it down just a bit). Your autographed book will be on its way from Poland. Watch for your recipe in the "WedlinyDomowe p/e Hall Of Fame"... (Winning Recipes). :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 02:07

There were no entries made for the July 2011 "Recipe Of The Month". :cry: Hmmm... Come on sausage makers - turn loose with a few of those "secret" recipes and share them with others. Previous contest winners are asked to wait a year before entering the contest again, but that shouldn't stop winners from posting them in the "sausages" forum. Right now, lets give others a chance to win an autographed copy of Stan Marianski's latest book. If you have a recipe you've tried and like, post some photos of the process and the exact recipe with instructions - right here. Be sure to state that you are entering the Contest Of The Month.

Good Luck and...
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 23:41

Hey Sausage Makers

Would you like an autographed copy of "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages"... by Stan and Adam Marianski (twenty seven bucks in the bookstore) or "Polish Sausages: Authentic Recipes and Instructions"... by Stan and Adam Marianski & Miroslaw Gebarowski?
Win a copy! Simply enter an original sausage recipe in the topic "RECIPE OF THE MONTH" in the "Announcements" forum (just below Hyde Park on the home page).

1. Post your recipe (meat products only) and be sure to state that it is to be entered in the contest.
2. Include pictures of the stages of preparation and final product. (If you need help posting pictures, please PM me and I`ll give you a hand. I can also assist you with calculating the right amount of nitrate/nitrite in your product)
3. Previous winners are asked to wait 1 year before entering the contest again so that others may have an opportunity to win.

That`s it! A panel of professionals in Poland will choose the lucky winner. If your recipe wins, it will be translated into Polish and posted on the Polish-speaking part of the forum also. Authors Stan and Adam Marianski and Miroslaw Gebarowski will sign the book and address it to you. The winner will be announced during the first week of the following month. Post your favorite recipe with some photos of the preparation and win!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Bubba's Boerewors (*)

Post by Bubba » Fri Sep 23, 2011 01:41

This post was transferred to this forum in order to enter the recipe for "Bubba's Boerewors" in the September 2011 Recipe Of The Month Contest. (Merged by Chuckwagon 9.23.11@18:56 at request of author).

This past weekend I made 30 lbs of this wonderful sausage, remember it's rugby world cup time, and whenever there is a game that the Springbokke play (South African team), we take out sausage (wors), grill some and watch the game with Boerewors Rolls. (That is one way of eating it, there are many other ways of course!)
It is (in American terms) a Hoagie roll cut open length-wise, sausage inside and topped with a tomato and onion mixture. I have posted the recipe below as well.

(*) If anyone can suggest a suitable name for this sausage I would appreciate it very much.

My revamped recipe to one I posted a while back, scaled to a 10lbs batch (because I made 3 batches of 10lbs each):-

INGREDIENTS
4.5 lb Beef (Chuck)
4.5 lb Pork (Boston Butt)
1 lb bacon - low sodium

1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2-3/4 Tbsp Adobo (without Pepper) (Reduce qty to taste when using Kosher salt)
1-1/2 tsp ground pepper
3 Tbsp fresh ground coriander seeds
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp ground dried thyme
1 tsp ground allspice (e.g. Publix complete seasoning)
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Hog casing 28 to 32 mm

I always let the sausage rest overnight in the Refrigerator before freezing or grilling.

Some meat cut up and some ground (course plate)

Bacon mixed in (Bacon was part frozen and ground with course plate so they ended like pellets

Spice display (the amount of spices shown is not relative to the 10 lbs recipe)

All stuffed and ready to package

Vacuum packed

My grill sample :)

And for anyone wanting to make the Tomato - Onion topping:-

Tomato and Onion topping

2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (28-ounce) can whole, peeled tomatoes
2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp apple cider
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a saucepan, heat butter and sauté onion and garlic over high heat for about 3 minutes until onions are translucent and garlic is barely golden. Turn heat down to low, add remaining ingredients, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. If needed, add a little sugar to sweeten.
Last edited by Bubba on Sat Sep 24, 2011 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 02:24

Beautiful... just plain beautiful. Wow, I can hardly wait to try that great recipe! It looks like a real winner. Are you going to enter this sausage in September's recipe of the month contest?
Hey Bubba, what are you using for stuffing the casings? Vertical stuffer? And just how in the world did a South African gentleman get a name like "Bubba"? :wink: Thanks for sharing the recipe. Want to win a book?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Bubba's Boerewors (*)

Post by JerBear » Fri Sep 23, 2011 05:36

Bubba wrote:(*) If anyone can suggest a suitable name for this sausage I would appreciate it very much.
Bubba's Boerewors sounds like as good a name as I can think of.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46

They look fantastic Bubba.

Looks like you leave them coiled rather than make links. I'm curious why that is.

Dave
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Sep 23, 2011 15:03

Dave Zac wrote:Looks like you leave them coiled rather than make links. I'm curious why that is.
That's an interesting one Dave, I guess nothing wrong with them being tied into links, all other sausage I have made I have always linked except Boerewors. I usually pack them in to 1 lb or 2 lb portions to freeze. For as long as I remember, we always went to the butcher and his sausage was also not linked, ask him for x lbs, he'll judge a piece and it is grilled like that. Also when one has a cook out (called a "braai") there would nearly always be steak, ribs and / or Lamb chops to go along. After "braaing", the meat is in a meat dish, and everyone cuts off as much as they would feel like.
JerBear wrote:Bubba's Boerewors sounds like as good a name as I can think of.
:mrgreen: I'll keep that one
Chuckwagon wrote:Are you going to enter this sausage in September's recipe of the month contest?
Hey Bubba, what are you using for stuffing the casings? Vertical stuffer? And just how in the world did a South African gentleman get a name like "Bubba"?
yes Chuckwagon, I'd like to enter that. :) I use a vertical stuffer, works like a champion but lately I have been eyeing out the Kirby canon.
Here is a previous Photo of my stuffer, a bit blurry because I had the camera focus on nearest point Bubba's 5 lbs Stuffer
The name "Bubba' was tagged on me many years ago when I first arrived in the USA, back then I had so many settling in questions and being on a forum that catered for those questions, some Alec suggested I be "Bubba" and have been since then.
Chuckwagon wrote:Want to win a book?
Can I send you my address? :lol:
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 01:50

Bubba wrote:
Can I send you my address?
Surely you may! However, you've got to win the contest first! :lol:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Contest recipe

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 26, 2011 00:56

This is not an original sausage recipe but an adaption for a fine Recipe By The Marianskis.
It all started because I had ten chicken thighs in my freezer for far too long. And further because I stopped at a market farm and found some beautiful peppers for less than two dollars a pound. We love stuffed peppers and are tired of the standard "meatloaf " recipe that is common. Working my way through the book of Quality home production of meats and sausages I found this recipe:
Preserving
Chicken Curry Sausage
Chicken curry is an original, yet simple to make sausage.
Meats
Metric
US
chicken
700 g
1.54 lbs.
pork back fat, bacon or fatty trimmings
300 g
0.56 lbs.
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
salt 12 g
white pepper 3.0 g
curry powder 2.5 g
garlic 1 clove
white wine 50 ml (50 g)

Instructions
1. Grind meat and fat through 3/8" plate (8 mm).
2. Mix meats with all ingredients.
3. Stuff into 32-36 mm hog casings forming 4" (10 cm) links.
4. Keep in a refrigerator or freeze for later use.
5. Cook before use

I made the mince as instructed but used a second grind through a 3/16 plate. I did not stuff but rather blanched the quartered peppers and when they had cooled filled them with the sausage mix. These go into the freezer but for thr one we eat tonight baked with tomato sauce and served with some pasta.
Last edited by ssorllih on Mon Sep 26, 2011 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
gurkanyeniceri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gurkanyeniceri » Mon Sep 26, 2011 03:15

Recipe of the Month entry
TURKISH SUCUK
Started with about 7 Kg of beef and 3Kg of fat

Here are the spices and cure#2

After kneading and mixing and grinding, they are ready to stuff

After stuffing.

In the curing chamber, my old freezer

Me and Sucuks

The white mold started to grow

And the taste was awesome

After this project, I upgraded to a vertical SS 3 litre stuffer

And a MGT12 kick a** commercial grinder. :mrgreen:
TURKISH SUCUK
Salt 1.50%
Soy Flour 1.50%
Olive oil 1%
Cumin 1.50%
Fresh Garlic 1.50%
Paprika 1.50%
Cure #2 0.45%
Black Pepper 0.50%
Fenugreek 0.50%
Glucose 0.40%
Coriander 0.20%
All Spice 0.20%
T-SPX Starter 0.012%
Chilli Flakes 0.20%
Cajun 0.40%
Rusk 10%
Milk Powder 10%
Onion Salt 0.3%

Meat has got about 35% fat in it. It is all beef. Percentages calculated based on meat and fat in total. I also baked my own rusk. Addition of Rusk was my idea.

Filled into 3cm diameter beef casings and fermented for a week at 12C and 85% humidity following either a cold smoking and poaching or air drying at 10C and 80% humidity for 2 months. I didn't use Bactoferm 600 but white mold started to grow, probably from my camemberts, it must be P. Candidum rather than P. Nalgiovense.

The taste was good at the end of 2 months, some of the old ones (up to 4 months due to an overseas trip) were rock hard but went well as a pizza topping.

The recipe I have devised is based on 3 slightly different recipes including one from the "The art of Making Fermented Sausages" and my own additions based on what I learnt from this forum and others on modern meat fermentation rules.

I have started making sausages with an air dried and cured sausage type and didn't know that this is one of the hardest recipes to make. Since I have a cheese fridge where I can regulate the temp and humidity, it went OK.

I couldn't get T-SPX in Australia but found Sacco brand VBM02 which has Staphylococcus xylosus, Staphylococcus carnosus and Lactobacillus sakei and also same brand VHI-41 culture which has Staphylococcus xylosus, Pediococcus pentosaceus and Lactobacillus plantarum.

I was specifically after Lactobacilli Sakei, Micrococci Varians, Staphylococci Xylosus and Lactobacilli curvatus as they have identified as being in the Turkish sucuk according to a research I found on the net as pdf. The VHI-41 and VBM-02 mixture provided most of the strains I required.
Last edited by gurkanyeniceri on Tue Sep 27, 2011 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Gurkan Yeniceri
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 08:47

Hi Gurkan, it looks like a great recipe. It`s interesting to note that pediococcus pentosaceus, or pediococcus acidilactici are used for rapid fermentation, while any Lactobacilli is used for slower fermentation.
Good luck.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Sep 27, 2011 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:19

Dear Winners,

We recently had some problems with deliveries of books from Poland.
In many cases they were shipped back to us with customs stamps, comments etc.
I would like to apologize all winners, who still not receive their books.
Currently we are testing new way of distributing the books, which will be sent from US.
This should eliminate delivery problems.
All of the winners, who still did not received their books, please send me PM with your mailing address.
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 19:22

OK kids, here's another recipe from "Snagman" in Sydney, Australia. He's sort of a "greenhorn" around these parts... :lol: and not sure where to post his recipe, so I placed a "shadow" here. To view the photos that Snagman included, click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=4054#4054
To all contestants, Good Luck!
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

Hungarian Csabaii
This renewed posting corrects my earlier one, quantity is now for 1 Kg meat. All ingredients are in grams, most scales have a choice of either....
This sausage takes its name from the village which many years ago made it famous. There is, in October each year a festival, celebrating its uniqueness, culminating in the crowning of the "Csabai King", who is the winner of the best sausage made in a space of two hours, with meat supplied by the organisers.
It is a great tasting sausage, both grilled as fresh, or smoked and used in sandwiches or as an ingredient in dishes.

The Recipe;
1 kg Pork - 80/20 meat/fat
14g Salt
25g Garlic - fresh, pressed and covered with water for 2 hrs
16g Sweet Hungarian Paprika
5 g Hot Hungarian Paprika
2.5g Whole Caraway
5g Icing sugar
2g Prague # 1 - if smoking

Freeze the fat. Cube the meat and spread a single layer on the bench. Spread all ingredients on top, covering the whole surface. Mix together until the red colour develops. Cover in a bowl and refrigerate overnight. Grind together all ingredients with coarse plate, mix well and stuff into hog casing, 350mm/14" double links for smoking, 150mm/6" for fresh. Both should be hung in fridge for three days before freezing/smoking.
It is suggested that a patty is fried prior to stuffing to correct/modify for personal preference, bearing in mind that the original taste is a combination mainly of garlic, paprika and caraway. The hot version will require more of the hot paprika, should not be overbearing, but have a "bite".
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 09:07

Hi Folks! I just received word from the judges in Poland. They did indeed, have a hard time deciding on the winner for September. All the entries were great recipes. Thanks to all who posted .

And the winner for September 2011 is......"Bubba`s Borewores" by Bubba - submitted 9/22/11
Congratulations Bubba! You've won an autographed copy of one of Stan Marianski's books.
(Bubba, please send me your full name and address by email or PM.)

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon