New contest - recipe of the month

All important news and announcements will be posted here.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 23, 2011 21:53

Interesting stuff Big Guy. Comminuted bacon without chemicals. Just the thing for my ol' worn down molars! Thanks for sharing. Did you work out this recipe yourself? If so, you may want to enter the recipe of the month contest. Oh, and yes, "over easy on those eggs please"! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 24, 2011 09:51

OK, All you Chorizo Chompers!

You`ve only got one more week to turn in your RECIPE OF THE MONTH for May! Win an autographed copy of one of the sausage making books from Bookmagic.com. Authors Stan and Adam Marianski and Miroslaw Gebarowski will sign it and address it to you. Post your original recipe under Recipe Of The Month Contest in "Announcements" (just below Hyde Park on our front page). Do you remember the rules? They`re easy.

1. Post your recipe (meat products only) and be sure to state that it is to be entered in the contest.
2. Include pictures of the phases of preparation and final product. If you need help posting pictures, please click on this link for instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvvxraciwvI
If you still have trouble, PM me and we`ll give you a hand. I can also assist you with calculating the right amount of nitrate/nitrite in your product)

That`s it! A special "jury" will choose the lucky winner. If your recipe wins, it will be translated into Polish and posted on the Polish forum also. The winner will be announced after the first of the following month.

Good Luck! And of course...
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Tue May 24, 2011 15:11

Yes its my version of the recipe, and you can put it in your contest.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 08:01

And the winner for April 2011 is ...I meant MAY (oops!) :oops: ........................... Big Guy ! (Thanks Siara)
His "Big Guy's Ontario Bacon" dynamite recipe for "restructured" venison and pork was bound to be a winner. The photos are terrific and the instructions are clear. I hope all you deer hunters give it a try. Congratulations Big Guy. Your autographed book is on its way from Poland. Watch for your recipe in the "WedlinyDomowe p/e Hall Of Fame"... (Winning Recipes).

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Jun 08, 2011 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:49

Chuckwagon wrote:And the winner for April 2011 is ............................... Big Guy !
Chuckwagon, mean May :wink: congratulations Big Guy,
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:49

Hey, hey Big Guy! :cool:
How about sending me a PM with your mailing address?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jun 12, 2011 00:59

So while I wait for the Salami action to heat up, I decided to stay in practice with an Italian sausage.

Second grind

And stuffed and linked. Almost ready for the fridge overnight. As Chuckwagon will notice, I still need to prick the air pockets with a pin.
What I'll be serving the sausage with tomorrow.
And one more cute picture. This little fella was born last week. Maybe in a few years...just maybe :mrgreen:

Hot Italian sausage. On the test, this turned out a bit hotter than the missus and I desire. Can't wait to see after an overnight stay in the fridge. Maybe hotter because I used some crushed Habanero pepper flakes from last years garden and commercial red pepper flakes.

10 pounds pork butt
15 grams chili flakes *
20 grams black pepper
15 grams coriander
42 grams kosher salt
17 grams sugar
5 grams ground caraway seed (ground fresh)
15 grams ground fennel seed (ground fresh)

Grind pork with coarse plate. Mix spices into meat for a few minutes. Grind with medium plate and stuff into hog casings. Allow to sit overnight in the bottom of your refrigerator.

The flavor was very full. Nice fennel immediately and then some heat.

Dave Zac

*Recipe modified by request of posting member. 6.13.11 @19:19 by Chuckwagon
Last edited by Dave Zac on Tue Jun 14, 2011 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 12, 2011 01:19

I worked in a butcher shop when I was in High School. One day a customer asked for some mild sausage and we were out. I askd my boss what to do. He said sell her the hot if she complains I will tell her that is my mild the ot is over here.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 04:27

Hey Grandpa Dzak,
Congratulations! Is everyone healthy?
Yikes, your Italian sausage looks like a winner! I'm sure going to give it a try. Monday I think. Yum.
Oh, and yes ol' pard, forget the needles for those air pockets. You're going to need a sixteen-penny nail! :mrgreen: Har, har, har!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jun 12, 2011 22:37

The Italian sausage was fantastic. Lots of heat. Note to self, next time use only 8 grams habanero flakes or 15 grams red chili flakes.

We put the sausage in a high sided clay baking dish with bell peppers, onions and 1 can of diced tomatoes. Covered and put on grill set on low ((300-350 F) for about 45 minutes. Ate on fresh rolls from the local baker. The sausage was so juicy and casings were very tender.

This would be a fantastic sausage for lasagna or pizza too.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 06:36

Dave, I can go back and modify your recipe (by your request only) if you'd like to enter the contest with any changes to the original. I would never, ever, change anyone's posts or recipes of course, without their permission. As you are entering the contest, let me know exactly which ingredients you wish to change along with the amount of each. Good luck pal, I believe you've got a winner there!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Jun 24, 2011 18:06

We do a "managers" cookout for employees once a month in the summer. Today I brought in a batch of my Hot Italian sausages to grill for the guys and girls. Holy Cow, they were a hit!! It's a great feeling to know people appreciate our efforts in this hobby.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 21:17

Congrats Dave, I'm glad the sausages made such a hit. People will remember stuff like that. I'll bet you have several folks asking you to make some for them eh? And if you think they like your links, just wait until you slice off a thin sample of your Allysandra Salami. You might have to put up an electric fence around the stuff! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

recipe of the month contest

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 04, 2011 17:57

I have made turkey based ham sausage twice now with very pleasing results and a very low cost. I think that it is a worthy entrant even though it is just a species substitution with some minor variation.
When turkeys go up against their sell by date they are still perfectly good but I can often get them for 69 cents per pound and have on one occassion gotten them for 25 cents per pound. I use everything but the bones and those get cooked for canned soup stock.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 05:43

Ross wrote:
I have made turkey based ham sausage twice now with very pleasing results and a very low cost. I think that it is a worthy entrant even though it is just a species substitution with some minor variation.
Hey ol' buddy, why not write down the recipe and post it here along with preparation photos and the background of the stuff. Don't forget to put a name on it. You could enter it in the contest for July. How about it? Let me know if I may help in any way.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon