New contest - recipe of the month

All important news and announcements will be posted here.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 22:03

Steelchef,
Question How did you Finish these sausages? Have they been Smoked? Dried in the Oven Etc. In the third Picture Is that a Oven, Smoker or Humidity Cabinet? The Recipe sounds very interesting but does not mention how you reccomend to finish them and the pictures are not clear enough (at Least That Step in the Process) for a rookie like me to figure out! I am Hungry Now Though :grin:
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Apr 08, 2011 22:42

Apologies to all,

John has pointed out that my recipe did not include the finishing procedure. So; the third picture is of my upright freezer/smoker, on it's virgin mission. I used a combination of 75% hickory and 25% cherry wood over a 4 hour period of medium smoke, turning the sausage with every replenishment of chips. The sausage was then brought in to the kitchen oven to finish at 170F. The fourth picture is the finished product.

Photos and further dialogue in the topic "Where There`s Smoke" in the "Hardware" forum.
Edited by Chuckwagon @ 15:54 - 4.14.11
Last edited by steelchef on Thu Apr 14, 2011 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Thu Apr 14, 2011 20:33

The book it's on it's way. Thanks maxell.
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 00:00

Hey Sausage Makers

Win an autographed copy of one of the sausage making books from Bookmagic.com! Simply enter your original sausage recipe in the topic "RECIPE OF THE MONTH" in the "Announcements" forum (just below Hyde Park on the home page).

1. Post your recipe (meat products only) and be sure to state that it is to be entered in the contest.
2. Include pictures of the stages of preparation and final product. (If you need help posting pictures, please PM me and I`ll give you a hand. I can also assist you with calculating the right amount of nitrate/nitrite in your product)

That`s it! A special "jury" of professionals in Poland will choose the lucky winner. If your recipe wins, it will be translated into Polish and posted on the Polish forum also. Authors Stan and Adam Marianski and Miroslaw Gebarowski will sign the book and address it to you. The winner will be announced during the first week of the following month.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 13:22

John`s (JBK101) Jerky Recipe
Submission for the Wedliny Domowe Monthly Contest

Ingredients
● 4 pounds Lean Cut of Beef (Bottom or Top Round Roast) or a cut of Sirloin or a Boneless T-Bone
This recipe can be made with either Beef or Deer Meat (works well with either one)

● 1-3/4 cups Soy Sauce
● 1 cup Worcestershire Sauce
● 1/4 cup Liquid Smoke
● 1/4 cup Steak Sauce (I use whatever I have on hand)
● 1 teaspoon Curry Powder
● 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
● 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
● 1 teaspoon Black Pepper (fresh ground)
● 1 cup Brown Sugar (Packed)
● 4.5 grams Prague Powder Cure #1
Edited by request of the posting member 4.18.11/20:00 (Chuckwagon)
Optional Ingredients
• 4 tablespoons Honey
• 1 cup Teriyaki Sauce (only if you want to make a Teriyaki flavored Jerky)
• Black Pepper Additional to taste applied after marinating process

Directions
Freeze the Meat slightly (1 to 2 hours) until its firm but not completely frozen. (This makes slicing and removing any excess fat easier).

Slice the meat as thinly as possible with the grain. Make the slices no thicker than 1/16 of an inch, and try to make them as uniform as possible to facilitate a more uniform dry time.

Remove as much of the visible fat as possible.

Mix all marinade ingredients together in a large bowl that has a lid. Place the Marinating Meat into the Refrigerator during the specified marinating time.

Place the sliced meat into the bowl and place the lid on and remove any excess air.

Shake the bowl to distribute the marinade over the meat and refrigerate the meat pieces for a minimum of 3 hours but no more than 24 hours. (The longer the better the marinade absorbs into the meat.)

Shake and invert the bowl from time to distribute the marinade over the meat.

After marinating the meat, drain off as much of the remaining liquid and discard.

Dehydrator
Arrange meat pieces on the dryer rack(s) and dry according to your Dehydrator Recommended Directions.

Oven Drying
Place a piece of Aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven to catch drippings.

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees F and then turn the heat back to the lowest setting on your oven. (Try to maintain a temperature of no more than 160 degrees F. but no less than 150 degrees F. maintaining the temperature utilizing a meat thermometer is best).

Arrange the seasoned strips of meat in a single layer on wire racks -- cake-cooling or oven racks

Place the meat in the oven, leaving the oven door open for the part of the drying process (5 to 6 hours).

After five or six hours, turn the strips over and continue drying at the same temperature for an additional four hours.

When thoroughly dry the jerky is shriveled and black, and is brittle when cooled.

I slice the meat using my meat slicer but it can be sliced by hand.

Trim Off any excess fat from the slices.

Beef Sliced and trimmed of fat and ready for the Marinade

The Ingredients that I use

The Marinade Mixture

Meat pieces soaking in the Marinade

Jerky on the dehydrator during the drying process

Jerky after it has been drying for a couple hours

The finished Beef Jerky
Last edited by jbk101 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 03:48, edited 2 times in total.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 15:51

Good looking recipe JBK. You may want to add prague powder(cure) #1 to prevent any possibilities of botulism developing in the finished product.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 06:16

John, that is a terrific recipe. I can hardly wait to try it. Great photos too! Gosh, you may just have a real winner there! :smile:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Apr 19, 2011 07:44

Another job well done John. :grin:

If anyone copied this recipe earlier, please note the edited version which includes the appropriate amount of cure.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 18:20

Hello all,
I forgot one more thing! :sad: Old age is kicking in! :???:

You should place the "Marinade and Meat Mixture" into the Refrigerator during the marinating process of the recipe.

Safety first everyone I will ask ChuckWagon to modify it one more time.

And I hope you enjoy it. :smile: I know when I make it never is around very long, my two boys can`t keep their hands off it till it`s all gone.
John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 07, 2011 20:26

And the winner for April 2011 is ............................... jbk101 !
Old age kickin' in John? I don't think so. That is a winning recipe. I hope everyone gives it a try. Got just the right everything in it to make it very tasty! :mrgreen:
Congratulations John. Your book is on its way. I think it will be coming from Florida pretty quick. Enjoy the read and keep making great jerky and sausage! Watch for your recipe in the "WedlinyDomowe p/e Hall Of Fame"... (Winning Recipes).

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun May 08, 2011 08:40

Congatulations John!

Your pics are great and the marinade recipe looks very tasty. Our family puts up a lot of jerky and we enjoy Asian flavours. Teriyaki is definitely high on the list but this one is also a favourite.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia ... erky1.html

This can be rehydrated and used in stir fries as well as being enjoyed alone.
We also jerk chicken in Asian and Jamiacan marinades. This makes an excellent addition to salads or other dishes when reconstituted in the broth from canned mushrooms or chicken boullion.

PS: Don't expect your book soon. I'm still waiting for mine, awarded for March.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Mon May 09, 2011 19:40

Chuckwagon and Steelchef,
Wow I Won! I got an Oscar Moment that I will cherish forever! First off I have to thank the Great Stanley Marianski for his dedication to the Art of Sausage Making and I will truly cherish his book whenever I receive it. Then of course I must acknowledge Chuckwagon and Steelchef for their help and Guidance along the way since I have joined this great Forum. The knowledge of these two "old timers" is legendary to say the least! I also would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the People behind the scenes of this great website and forum, without the creators of the WedlinyDomowe website (Polish and American sides) I would not have ever attempted to make my own sausage and be brave enough to even begin to think about making other types of Sausages etc. And to now have a recipe that is close to my heart in the WedlinyDomowe p/e Hall Of Fame, I am truly honored. And finally to all the readers and other forum members keep asking great question(s) making good sausage and other meat products sharing your recipes and stories that`s what makes this site so great!
Thanks again,
Your Humbled April Winner,
John
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue May 10, 2011 06:38

jbk101 wrote: I am truly honored. And finally to all the readers and other forum members keep asking great question(s) making good sausage and other meat products sharing your recipes and stories that`s what makes this site so great!
Well John, I'm sure that I speak for Chuckwagon in thanking you for the recognition. There is a but, however.
Without any false modesty, it should be clear that Chucky was an accomplished sausageman long before my enlightenment. He and our Polish benefactors taught me virtually everything I now know about the craft.
Our fearless Moderator is considered a peer by Marianski and other top shelf Charcuterions.

Life experience has allowed me to contribute a small amount of information to the forum. I'm very gratified that it seems to have been helpful. Being retired and having way too much time on my hands is also a factor.

Your full statement indicactes that you are a true gentleman and I'm proud to share this space with you.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 10, 2011 08:18

Those are pretty nice words guys! I am grateful. Ya know, the really cool thing is when folks share their knowledge with others, we ALL benefit. I'm wondering just how many people around the world will be making John's "Indiana Jerky" from now on. Again, thanks for the kind words gentlemen. It's a pleasure to be associated with folks like you!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Venison bacon

Post by Big Guy » Mon May 23, 2011 13:44

This recipe and post was moved to "Announcements" by Chuckwagon 5.25.11@01:13 in order to enter the monthly contest.

I ground up 6# of venison with 7# of pork chunks, divided it in half and made some salamis and some venny bacon. They are in the fridge overnight to meld the spices and will be smoked tomorrow and the salamis on Monday if there is still a world left.

Semi frozen venison and pork chunks

Grinding

all mixed up, stuffed and molded

Raw bacon ready to pepper crust

crusted

all 3 crusted and ready for the smoker

in the smoker

12 hrs of smoking and overnight in the fridge, they are ready to slice

all sliced and ready to package

test fry

on the plate

the recipe

Venison Bacon

2 lbs. Venison
2 lbs. pork
3 tbs. coarse salt
¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tbs. gelatin
1 tsp cure #1
1 cup ice water
Cracked black pepper
Grind pork and venison through a 3/16 plate, mix with ice water and spices, regrind. Mix well and pack into a 9x9 baking dish lined with saran wrap to make un-molding easy . Let set in the fridge overnight to set. Unmold from the baking dish and coat in cracked black pepper, then place in the smoker on a fine ¼ inch mesh.
Smoke @ 120 for 1 hr to dry. Increase to 130 and start smoke. Continue to increase smoker temp to 150 and smoke for 2 hrs. Finally increase temp to 170 and smoke to an internal of 155. Cool then refrigerate overnight. Slice and package.
Last edited by Big Guy on Wed May 25, 2011 08:15, edited 1 time in total.