temperature stall

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:36

Understanding And Beating The Barbecue Stall, Bane Of All Barbecuers, And How It Helps Create "Bark"

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_tec ... stall.html
cmustang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cmustang » Fri Jun 27, 2014 05:51

Just to recap with more experience under my belt a large part of my problem was to large heat source so to keep proper temp I was adding to much air flow therefor evaporation was stalling my temp
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jun 28, 2014 04:47

cmustang wrote:Just to recap with more experience under my belt a large part of my problem was to large heat source so to keep proper temp I was adding to much air flow therefor evaporation was stalling my temp
That's a good way to look at it. The IMT stalls because something is cooling the meat, and what's cooling it is the water evaporating. If you think about working in the hot sun on a humid day versus a dry day... you got it! If you can wrap the meat in foil, it lessens the stall. Likewise, having plenty of humidity by restricting air flow helps lessen stall effects.

This suggests that you should start out at low temperature with the vent open during the drying step, then once the meat is dry, start smoke and close the vent down (many say, to 25%) to boost both smoke and water concentration.

...comments?
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jun 28, 2014 06:35

After the drying period when the vents are wide open once I introduce smoke the vents are somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 open, never more. Hark, the raven? RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Fri Oct 24, 2014 05:24

If you cook at a higher temp, say about 300F, you will have no or very little stall period.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED