Favorite BBQ Sauce Recipe

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Favorite BBQ Sauce Recipe

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun May 19, 2013 02:32

So Who has a favorite BBQ sauce recipe? My staple recipe is the Southern Style BBQ sauce from Jeff Smith's Frugal Gourmet Cook Book. I read of and made one with a Coke and Tomato base. It was good but I'm always looking for new recipes. I am kind of partial to the southern types with piles of mustard and vinegar.

Thanks,
V465
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 19, 2013 04:09

Hey, hey, sausageman...
Click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146 then look down the page to find, "non-sausage" recipes. Look under "sauces" and you'll find twenty of them. This is the MRI... the member's recipe index.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun May 19, 2013 04:11

The only homemade sauce that I really like is a mustard based sauce for pulled pork.

Roxy's S.C. Mustard Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Jun 02, 2013 05:15

Thanks for that Mustard sauce recipe. Looks great! Gonna check out the ones on the site too!

Thanks again
V465
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jun 03, 2013 14:07

I have one that was left to me in someone's Will. Some people take their sauces pretty serious. This one is seriously good though and out of respect I have to do the same so be sure to be nice to me and I might leave it to you. :lol:

The mustard sauce posted is very good. I like the mustard type sauces more for chicken than for pork.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jun 03, 2013 14:41

A while back I boiled a gallon of cider down to 10 ounces and it is thick like molasses, slightly sweet and slightly sour. I ground a half cup of mustard seed and mixed them into a half cup of this and thinned it with cider vinegar. It is good like this but still needs some work. The cider molasses is a good taste in it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 07:07

To the honourable Mr BUTTERBEAN,
PLEASE help an old geezer out and email me this great recipe you mention.
I am just in the process of collecting BBQ sauces, it has never been high on my wanted list.
Since retirement this has changed a lot, now I want to know everything!!!!!!!!!!
Help!!
Jan.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Jun 06, 2013 02:11

Sorry Crusty, I have to go by the conditions of the Will. I had tried for years to talk the guy out of the recipe but to no avail. He would always just bring me some. He loathed his daughter and her husband so before he died he asked if I would be the executor of his grandchildren's trust and the recipe was left to me as a thank you but with conditions.

There are a lot of great sauces out there but what sets this one apart is its appeal to everyone's tastes whether you are a fan of mustard, tomato, vinegar or white sauces. On top of that it is shelf stable for months. I've never had a sauce so good on anything and have such an appeal to anyone's pallette.

Some sauces are very complicated and some are too complicated. Here is a sauce that is good on its own or can be used as a base to make a more personal sauce. I think if you will try this you won't be disappointed.

1c. Ketchup (anything but Hunts)
3/4c. brown sugar
1/4c. finely minced onion
1/2t. Liquid smoke
1/4t. garlic powder

Saute the onion in a pot with some butter till it sweats good and becomes translucent then just add everything else to the pot and simmer a while. Typically I will add black pepper and other things to this depending on the mood. This is very good for pork.
Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Sat Jun 08, 2013 05:47

A wealth of info. & recipes in this thread, many thanks to CW for the link to the members recipe list, excellent :grin:
mechels

Re: Favorite BBQ Sauce Recipe

Post by mechels » Thu Jun 20, 2013 06:56

sausagemaneric wrote:So Who has a favorite BBQ sauce recipe? My staple recipe is the Southern Style BBQ sauce from Jeff Smith's Frugal Gourmet Cook Book. I read of and made one with a Coke and Tomato base. It was good but I'm always looking for new recipes. I am kind of partial to the southern types with piles of mustard and vinegar.

Thanks,
same as chinese style steamed fish, the microwave part is the steaming, just use choke vegetables.

I prefer oven/foil method and lately I've been using ti leaf, makes for easy transfer from foil to ziploc. use search feature, search chinese style. Flash fry with peanut oil after. Everybody get different "chinese style".
korma recipe
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 09:11

Thanks Butterbean for the starter recipe. I can understand why you can't divulge the sauce recipe handed to you with conditions by your friend.
Best Regards,
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jun 21, 2013 17:48

Back in my Colorado days, I had Japanese-American friend who used a 50-50 mixture of soy sauce and bourbon. Every 30 minutes, he would baste his brisket with maybe a quarter of it, then make up the level loss with bourbon, then we would taste. After about five hours of this...

Well, I don't remember how the brisket came out, but by then, we really didn't care.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.