Tusiaczek pastrami - by StefanS

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Tusiaczek pastrami - by StefanS

Post by StefanS » Mon Dec 31, 2018 02:47

My polish friend made this recipe to get close as possible to famous Katz Delicatessen pastrami.
Original recipe has been posted on polish WD. Few days ago, using his recipe I have made whole brisket in his way. - Results - outstanding..
so it is -
EQ curing in vac pouches with addition of 22 g/kg sea salt, plus 2 g/kg cure #1, Refrigerator temperature and 7-10 days.
Eventually repacking with addition some spices like granulated garlic, BP, dried onion (it is your own preferences). I have made 2 pieces with, BP, garlic, little soy sauce. another 2 pieces without any addition. Vac pouches i kept for 26 hours at 55*C(131F) for sous vide method.
After that time - pieces went to ice cold water to completely cool down. Unpacking them and dry with paper towel. At this moment it is perfect time to make own taste preferences. I have used
as glazing mix 1 part of molasses and 1 part of soy sauce plus a few drops of liquid smoke and few drops of Tabasco sauce. It is glazing mix that i have put over dried and cooled down meat with brush.
Then special rub - for 1 kg of meat..
20 g of black pepper(multicolored pepper is better)
10 g of coriander
5 g of granulated garlic
3 g of yellow mustard seeds
5 g of chopped dried onions
3 g of smoked paprika
3 g of dried Coleman mustard
coarse grind then added 100 g of Turbinado Sugar
Spices rubbed over meat pieces to make nice crust.
Pieces of meat moved to oven on crates and baked at 250F for around 1 hour 20 min.
It is time consuming but worth that effort
in oven -
Hot - directly from oven (better than Katz Delicatessen)
Cold - also very good to sandwiches..(or as snack)
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 31, 2018 04:21

That looks good
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Dec 31, 2018 13:49

Looks outstanding!! That's a nice thick Brisket. However Katz's also smokes their Pastrami.
jrittvo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jrittvo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 17:35

I have a similar routine for pastrami, but I use about double the amount of paprika, and I use smoked paprika rather than plain. Seems to add enough smoke flavor to cover that aspect of the flavor profile. Before serving, I lay the pile of slices in a large skillet with a tablespoon or two of water and steam it for 10 or 15 minutes until the added water boils off, flipping the pile around so most of the slices hit the bottom of the pan at some point. That softens up the fat a bit and adds a little crunchy dryness that for me sets the texture nicely.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Jan 01, 2019 00:07

Bob K wrote:owever Katz's also smokes their Pastrami.
and they steam it before serving too ..
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Tue Jan 01, 2019 02:02

Looks beautiful and tasty!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 01, 2019 18:44

StefanS wrote:
Bob K wrote:owever Katz's also smokes their Pastrami.
and they steam it before serving too ..
The "Montreal Smoked Meat" served in Jewish delis in that city is also smoked and steamed just before serving. My daughter lived in Montreal for several years and having a thick sandwich with slices of fat brisket on rye with a large pickle was always a highlight of my visit to that city. The most famous is Schwartz's where there are always long lineups and it's crazy busy inside. Best is to get a seat at the counter and watch as the staff keeps bringing out an endless supply of steaming hot briskets, slicing them and stacking on bread.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Tusiaczek pastrami - by StefanS

Post by jjnurk » Mon Apr 27, 2020 16:18

11.jpg
22.jpg
33.jpg
44.jpg
So I tried this recipe and it turned out fantastic !!! I cured it with cure and salt for 7 days, repacked with spices for another 2 days. Washed everything off, padded it dry and coated with a 1:1 mixture of molasses and soy sauce. Covered everything with a generous amount of cracked bl pepper, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, ground mustard, garlic and onion powder, brown sugar and paprika. Heavily smoked with oak for about 2.5 hr and finished it off in a steam bath. The crust was no longer a crust, so I put the brisket on indirect heat on the bbq, just to dry up the spices, about 15 minutes and voila!!!
Once again, fantastic recipe and excellent flavour.
JjNUrK
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Apr 27, 2020 22:03

Smacznego..
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri May 01, 2020 14:55

Joe I wish I could have had one of those sandwiches! Looks delicious and I haven't had one of those in four years! I see many hobbyists make "pastrami" with all kind of cuts, but nothing compares to the original, made with beef brisket with a decent amount of fat.