pork/smoked deer boudin

lowpull
Beginner
Beginner

pork/smoked deer boudin

Post by lowpull » Sat Jan 14, 2012 23:35

10 lbs pork shoulder, 6.5 lbs smoked deer meat (hot smoked) rice will be cooked in the stock liquid. This will be bulk packaged in bags. Casings are just too expensive.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 15, 2012 03:44

Consider extruding the sausage through a stuffing tube and poaching it just long enough to keep it from sticking to the piece beside it. They will hold their shape in a pot of soup or stew..
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 05:25

In our area markets, it's becoming quite the fad to extrude "skinless" sausage and a few meat specialty outlets are making a small fortune by extruding spicy pork sausage through a 7/8" horn in lengths of five inches. They are sold 4 to a pack on a non-stick moisture absorbent pad inside a styrofoam half-dish, covered with cellophane and the store label. Of course the word "skinless" is in huge type and lit up in neon! They seem to be very popular for breakfast especially with those who refuse to eat "triturated pork secured inside a porcine bowel intestine". :roll:
What is the secret of getting the sausage to stick together in a formed link? Simple. Use a 3/8" grinding plate (or smaller) and when the meat is mixed, it is agitated until the development of the myofibrillar proteins develop a sticky meat paste. When extruded at low temperatures, it will keep it's shape very well. Shucks, if casing prices continue to rise, skinless sausage may be the way to go. :???: Who knows?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 15, 2012 06:30

When I can buy pork butts for 1.29 USD and have to add thirty to fifty cents per pound for casing..................? I have laid uncased sausage on parchment and hot smoked it with considerable success. Twice through a 3/8 plate and then through the stuffing tube works pretty well.

There is a very successful local sausage maker that makes only about four types/flavors of fresh sausage, all cased at the rate for 7000 pounds per day. And it is meat, water, salt, and spice. Our Polish hosts would be well pleased. They are the standard that I work towards.
Ross- tightwad home cook
lowpull
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lowpull » Sun Jan 15, 2012 08:11

boudin doesnt go into soups or stews, when it is in casing most people squeeze it out of the casing anyways. So not having it in links is not a big deal. Since it is about half rice I dont think it would hold together without the casing anyways.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jan 15, 2012 14:03

Hi Lowpull,

There should a way that you can get the sausage to stick together even when one of the ingredients is rice.
I have also made skinless sausage before and it worked very well. So far I have only tried Breakfast links though.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 15, 2012 16:21

I use cooked long grain rice(basmati) to push the last of the mince from the grinder and stuffing tube. When the rice starts to show I separate the extrusions and keep the rice mixed sausage separate from the rest. I mix the rice and sausage together because as it comes out it is first almost all meat and at the finish almost all rice. I form it into balls about as big as the circle between thumb and first finger and poach them in salted water. they sink when I drop them in and float when they are done.
Ross- tightwad home cook
lowpull
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lowpull » Sun Jan 15, 2012 18:35

If you do these things to it, then it wouldnt be boudin. Boudin is a loose product even when its in a casing. Everything is precooked before its put together.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 15, 2012 18:49

I wondered about that . I have read the recipe and didn't think that the cooked meats would stick together. It seems kinda like a dry soup.
Ross- tightwad home cook
lowpull
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lowpull » Sun Jan 15, 2012 22:46

You grind the meat after its cooked and then mix it back into the rice mixture ( which is cooked soft and wet) you add some fine chopped green onion tops into it.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 15, 2012 23:34

It seems to me to be a low fat sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jan 15, 2012 23:50

Hi Ross and Lowpull,

I was thinking about what Lowpull is making after I posted this morning, something similar to the below (click on link) from CrankyBuzzard a few months back.

:lol: I saved his recipe at the time, and saved it so well I had to search for it now on my Computer.

Boudin, Cranky Buzzard's Texas Style
Ron
lowpull
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lowpull » Mon Jan 16, 2012 01:00

I forgot the green onion tops at the very end. But its still pretty good. But when I was grinding the smoked deer and cooked pork I wanted to mix it up with some barbeque sauce.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 16, 2012 01:05

I think that I know now the difference. When this is made without liver it can be crumbly but if it is made with the traditional amount of liver then the liver will serve as a binder to keep the sausage coherent.
Ross- tightwad home cook