Venison Sausage Rolls.

Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Venison Sausage Rolls.

Post by Divey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 01:27

Being a keen hunter, I often have the less desired cuts of Venison in the freezer and I came up with a recipe for Venison Sausage Rolls. Now, I don't know if our 'normal' Sausage Rolls is an Aussie thing or not, probably English, anyway, I really like this Venison version and it is definitely a winner with the kids.

VENISON SAUSAGE ROLLS.

500 grams of minced venison.
3 slices of white bread.
1 small brown onion, diced.
1/2 carrot, grated.
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped.
5 tablespoons of milk.
1 egg.
1/2 teaspoon of mixed herbs.
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
6 Juniper berries.
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley.
A good pinch of sea salt.
3 sheets of prepared frozen puff pastry.
1 egg, extra, lightly beaten.

Place the juniper berries in a mortar and pestle with the mixed herbs, pepper and salt and give a good grinding. I do this as the juniper berries tend to be a little bit gluey and the other ingredients helps to grind them up so they don't stick to the sides of the mortar.

Soak the slices of bread in the milk for a while or until they a quite soft and then place into a food processor with all other ingredients other than the extra egg and pastry. Process until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed and well combined.

It is best to work with the pastry when it is about half way thawed out. Cut the sheets of pastry in half length ways leaving the plastic separating sheets on the pastry as it makes it easier to roll the pastry around the sausage mixture.

Divide the sausage mixture into six equal parts. Place one single part of the sausage mixture onto a half sheet of pastry length ways and spread out with your fingers until it is an even for the full length of the pastry, roll the pastry over the sausage mixture removing the plastic sheet as you go. Brush a little of the beaten egg onto the last of the pastry and then cut the long roll into two equal rolls, or smaller if you wish, and then place on a baking tray lined with baking paper with the seam of the pastry on the bottom. Repeat the process for the remaining 5 sheets of pastry and sausage mix. Brush the tops of the rolls with the beaten egg.

Cook in the oven @ 220 C for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with Tomato Sauce if you wish.

Makes 12 sausage rolls or more if you wish.

Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:26

Thats a fairly interesting recipe Divey, juniper berries, must try that !! They also look delicious, send a few down south thanks..lol..

Wet enough up there, we had 200+mm last week and its pouring again all day in Gippsland, VIC.
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 01:36

Pete wrote:Thats a fairly interesting recipe Divey, juniper berries, must try that !! They also look delicious, send a few down south thanks..lol..

Wet enough up there, we had 200+mm last week and its pouring again all day in Gippsland, VIC.
Venison and juniper berries go hand in hand. I have a Chef mate who puts good quality Dark Chocolate into Venison casseroles. The flavour is amazing.

The rain has been absolutely constant and bloody annoying up here in Sydney. And, today I think were are heading for a shocker of a day. I think I'll thaw out some more venison. :smile:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 08:23

Hi Divey,
I think your recipe is dynamite! At first, I was thrown off by the double listing of eggs, but then I read the directions. I can't wait to try this one. Yum.... tomato sauce you say?
Thanks for posting and sharing mate!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:41

Hi Divey,
I am going to make these sausage rolls with a 50/50 veal-pork mince. That all I have available at the moment. Never tried the juniper berries though.
Thanks for posting this interesting recipe.
Regards,
Jan.
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 04:17

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi Divey,
I think your recipe is dynamite! At first, I was thrown off by the double listing of eggs, but then I read the directions. I can't wait to try this one. Yum.... tomato sauce you say?
Thanks for posting and sharing mate!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
We call it Sauce, you folks call it Ketchup. Sorry about that.

These little sausage rolls are a real hit with a few fellas whilst partaking in a taste session of the amber fluid.