Smoked dry venison/back bacon

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Smoked dry venison/back bacon

Post by Devo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 01:20

2°F today and not a nice day to be smoking but hey it could be snowing to but its not.
Got two small deer roasts from a friend so I thought I would like me some smoked deer meat. Gave it soak in my bacon brine. I have never used it as a wet brine before always just rubbed it on my bacon as a dry rub but gave it a go at wet brine. Went a full 7 days as per the instructions. Never followed them before either. Out of the brine last night and soaked in fresh water. Sat in the fridge over night and tested a piece this morning in the frying pan. Good stuff, tasted just like my Canadian bacon. So this afternoon its getting a tube of smoke from the A-MAZE-N TUBE SMOKER and going to an IT of 150-152 ish.

Brine from https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSour ... fault.aspx

Two small deer roast

The brine all mixed up, I add one cup of brown sugar to this.

My weighted cutting board cut to size holds everything under

This is when I went out to brush it with another coating of maple syrup and the IT was about 105°F.
7 days later we be smoking

Just out of the smoker, IT 152 F. Going to let sit in the fridge over night to firm up and than slice tomorrow.

Looks like candy don't it :wink:
Thanks for looking
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 30, 2014 17:04

Those smoked deer hams look quite interesting! I would never have thought of using maple syrup on venison. Curious to see how they look inside and whether brining kept them moist?
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 18:41

Went down stairs and used the big boy (Hobart 12" blade) which seemed real funny compared to the size of the roast but I wanted those thin cuts that bear had mentioned.

Sliced in half for easier slicing. The holes are from the probes.

This won't take long :lol:

Yup that's about the right thickness

All sliced

Vac sealed some for later

And since buddy was nice enough to give me some of his deer I saved this one for him. Hopefully he will give me more in the future. :wink:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jan 12, 2015 05:04

redzed wrote:Those smoked deer hams look quite interesting! I would never have thought of using maple syrup on venison. Curious to see how they look inside and whether brining kept them moist?
FWIW, brining relaxes the protein molecules and this creates a space for moisture to enter so once brined there is more moisture (and flavor) in the meat and as long as you do not overcook it your meat will be more juicy than it would otherwise be.

If you wish to test this, brine some chicken and then fry it like you would regular chicken. The end result will be some of the best grease free chicken you've ever cooked. The added moisture in the chicken will be forced out during the frying which in turn will keep the grease from penetrating the meat and making the chicken greasy.
charcoal junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by charcoal junkie » Sat Dec 24, 2016 23:58

Makes me wish i would of had a tag or 10 this year. Great job 👍