Venison Sausages

redzed

Venison Sausages

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 22, 2015 04:27

Last month I scored some Saskatchewan whitetail venison and this past weekend made a smoked sausage and a liver sausage. The smoked sausage was made from a recipe posted on the Polish WD forum by Andrzej Kwiatek, chief technologist and instructor at the School of Domestic Meat Processing. It is a well seasoned and flavourful sausage, with good mouth feel and aroma. The liver sausage is based on a Polish recipe with an addition with venison, which added to the flavour of the pork liver and pork. Flavour is mild and pleasant, and it goes well with rye bread and a pickle or on a cracker as an appetizer.

Venison Sausage

Recipe for 1kg of meat

Venison, Class I, no connective tissue, no fat, 400g
Venison, Class II - III with connective tissue, no fat, 100g
Pork picnic and butt meat, Class I, lean and no connective tissue, 200g
Pork picnic and butt meat, Class II - III, with fat and some connective tissue, 200g
Pork back fat, 100g.
Salt, 17g
Cure #1, 2g
Pepper, finely ground, 5g
Coriander, 2g
Fresh garlic, 5g
Juniper berries 2g.
Nutmeg, 1g
100ml. water

Cube the venison and pork, keeping the Class I meats and Class II - III meats separate. Add the salt and #1 to the cubed meat, mix well, pack into a container, cover, and refrigerate for 48 hours.

Grind Class I venison and pork through 10mm plate and the Class II - III meat and fat through the 4.5 plate. Toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds and the juniper berries and grind finely. Combine all remaining ingredients and mix well, adding the water gradually as you mix. Stuff into 40mm hog casings. Set the sausage overnight in fridge or up to two hours at room temperature. Smoke for 3 hours at 130-150F (55-65C). Finish by poaching with water temp 170F (77C) until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 155F (68C) Cool gently with water and hang at room temp for 3 hours before refrigerating. Sausage will taste best the next day.

Liver Sausage

Recipe for 3kg.

700g pork liver
800g Pork Class I - II pork
500g Venison
500g pork belly
500g pork fat
1 large raw white onion
48g kosher salt
6g Cure #1
6g white pepper
6g marjoram
1.5g ground cloves
1.5 ginger
750ml broth

Soak liver for one hour in cold water, remove veins and poach for 10 min. Poach fat for 5 min. Cook the at a low boil for about 1 hour. Strain but reserve the broth. Cool everything to room temp. Chop the onion, add the broth and the spices, mix, and grind everything twice with a fine plate (I used a 3mm).

Mix well and stuff into what ever you like. I used 40+ hog casings so that the sausage can go on a cracker.

Poach in 185F(85C) water for 50 minutes. Cool in ice water and allow to rest for a few hours or overnight. Cold smoke for 2-3 hours.

Last edited by redzed on Mon Dec 28, 2015 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 26, 2015 01:34

Those look tasty Chris!
redzed wrote:Add spices and mushrooms,
I think you omitted the mushrooms in the list of ingredients for the liver sausage ?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 26, 2015 19:59

Those look good. I really need to get out and do some deer hunting and get some more deer but it don't seem right with this summer weather we are having.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 28, 2015 22:42

Bob K wrote:I think you omitted the mushrooms in the list of ingredients for the liver sausage ?
OOPS! :oops: No, there are no mushrooms in this recipe and it is a different recipe than my earlier one with the chanterelles. The above errata has been corrected. Thanks for the catch Bob. :grin:
Butterbean wrote:Those look good. I really need to get out and do some deer hunting and get some more deer but it don't seem right with this summer weather we are having.
Ain't nothing better than a venison and pork mix for sausage!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 28, 2015 23:31

redzed wrote:
Bob K wrote:I think you omitted the mushrooms in the list of ingredients for the liver sausage ?
OOPS! :oops: No, there are no mushrooms in this recipe and it is a different recipe than my earlier one with the chanterelles. The above errata has been corrected. Thanks for the catch Bob. :grin:
Butterbean wrote:Those look good. I really need to get out and do some deer hunting and get some more deer but it don't seem right with this summer weather we are having.
Ain't nothing better than a venison and pork mix for sausage!
I agree and our whitetail are really mild tasting and almost beef like.
redzed

Re: Venison Sausages

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 04, 2019 22:56

With the new hunting season almost here, I found a pack of mule deer meat from last year in the freezer. I turned into into one of the best tasting venison kielbasas that I ever made. And that is not only my opinion1 :D Mild tasting yet flavourful, good texture, sliceability and mouth feel. The recipe is based on the recipe at the top of this thread, with some modifications. I highly recommend this Polish style kielbasa!

Image Image

Polish Style Venison and Pork Sausage

Recipe for 1kg of meat

Venison, Class I, no connective tissue, no fat, 400g
Venison, Class II - III with connective tissue, no fat, 100g
Pork picnic and butt meat, Class I, lean and no connective tissue, 100g
Pork loin and butt meat, Class II (40% fat), 350g
Pork, Class III 50g.
Salt, 16g
Cure #1, 2g
Pepper, finely ground, 4g
Coriander, 1g
Fresh garlic, 6g
Juniper berries 1g.
Mace, 1g
100ml. water

Cube the venison and pork, keeping the different classes of meats separate. Add the salt and #1 to the cubed meat, mix well, pack into a container, cover, and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.

Grind Class I venison and pork through 10mm plate, the Class II 6mm plate and class III 3mm plate. Toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds and the juniper berries and grind finely. Take Class III ground meats add all the spices and approximately 30% of the water. Mix and mix until you achieve consisted loose paste. Add this the other ground meats and mix well. I mixed mine for 12 minutes in my 33lb. electric mixer.. Stuff into 32-40mm hog casings. Set the sausage overnight in fridge or up to two hours at room temperature. Preheat your smoker to 160F, let it cool a bit and load your sausage into it. Open top and bottom dampers wide and warm sausage at 110F Smoke for 3 hours at 130-1445F (55-65C). Finish by poaching with water temp 170F (77C) until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 155F (68C) Cool gently with water and hang at room temp for 3 hours before refrigerating. Sausage will taste best the next day. Sausage is excellent sliced cold. If heating, bring up to temp only, don't cook again.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:42

Very nice looking sausage Redzed, I'm adding it to my long list of products to try.
One question I have is why such a long mix time? A few minutes by hand would give you a good bind, what more does 12 minutes with a power mixer give you. Thanks.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 11, 2019 04:38

Hi Dan,
Sorry for not replying earlier, but I'm away from home and don't always have access to the internet. I find that using my mixer, a Cabella's 33lb model powered by my grinder, is unequivocally superior to mixing by hand. I get a better overall mix of the batter, spices and water and a better texture in the end product. I also don't freeze my hands in the process. Trust me, it would not be easy to mix 25lbs of sausage batter by hand and achieve the same results as mixing for 10 minutes in a motorized mixer. 12 minutes mixing is quite normal in sausage making.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:16

redzed wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 04:38
it would not be easy to mix 25lbs of sausage batter by hand
Thanks for the reply Chris, I guess i didn't realize ya had 25 pounds going, although looking back at your pic's of them blooming on the rack I should have known. :roll:
I usually only do 5-10 lbs at a time, is it accurate to say the more sausage batter you have, the longer it takes to mix?
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 15:24

This looks really good, I may actually make this instead of the summer sausage I referenced on my other post
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 13, 2019 03:41

DanMcG wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:16
I usually only do 5-10 lbs at a time, is it accurate to say the more sausage batter you have, the longer it takes to mix?
That's a tough question, because even when I mix a small batch by hand, it depends on the type of sausage as to how long. And I think the mixer is more efficient than mixing by hand. So if I had more or less of the same sausage batter and the same mixer, I probably would have mixed it for the same length of time. If mixing by hand you just have to mix until the batter is mixed thoroughly and the meat is really sticky. If I was making a salami, I would not mix it to the same consistency as for smoked sausage to avoid fat smearing.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 13, 2019 03:44

Scogar wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 15:24
This looks really good, I may actually make this instead of the summer sausage I referenced on my other post
If you do make this sausage you won't regret it. Make sure you report the results with pics! :D
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 15:12

Nice looking sausage Red! I have a moose and 1 deer in the freezer and just cut my daughters deer yesterday. We made 25 pounds of garlic rings and 25 pounds of hot dogs. The old Hobart cutter is still chugging away. I bought one of those large Cabelas mixers too. Works much better than my old small one. Pics to follow later if I can still post them up.
Cheers.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:40

fatboyz wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 15:12
Nice looking sausage Red! I have a moose and 1 deer in the freezer and just cut my daughters deer yesterday. We made 25 pounds of garlic rings and 25 pounds of hot dogs. The old Hobart cutter is still chugging away. I bought one of those large Cabelas mixers too. Works much better than my old small one. Pics to follow later if I can still post them up.
Cheers.
Congrats on being drawn for the moose and getting one. Saw a couple near my daughter's home near Prince Albert last weekend. Your white tail season in Alberta started earlier than in Sask. It's still two days from today. I'm currently in Sask and hope to take some venison home when I fly back next week.

Yes please post pics and I'd like to see your recipe for the garlic coils. Best and easiest way is to use IMGUR.
Dynametix

Post by Dynametix » Sat Nov 23, 2019 13:00

Looks Yummy!!!
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will try this.