Venison Sausages

Butterbean

Re: Venison Sausages

Post by Butterbean » Sat Nov 14, 2020 19:32

Looks great and sounds interesting. Never done a second smoke. Does it make a noticeable difference? Just for clarity, after refrigeration did you let them come to room temp before adding to the smoker or was the heat enough to dry them in the smoker without smudging issues.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 15:08

Looks awesome. Red. I have been away three weeks so just starting hunting now with just 2 weeks left of the season. Heading out this afternoon, If I'm lucky I'm going to try this recipe!
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Nov 16, 2020 16:16

Hey Chris, nice looking recipe. Gonna give it try. One little flaw that I see, which would make it taste that much better, is if you actually shot the deer yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 17, 2020 01:02

Maybe. But I don't feel like pushing bush anymore. I let my brother in law and nephews do that. The venison I used in this last sausage was from last year when I was in Sask and I processed two big bucks by myself. Looks like the whitetail season is starting this weekend for you guys. Did you get drawn for anything else?
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Tue Nov 17, 2020 14:41

You were doing it the hard way. Find yourself a nice clearing and call them in, no need for bush pushing. They are so promiscuous at this time, they come to what ever sounds or smells like a doe. :D . I didn't get drawn for anything, was supposed to go for deer this past sunday, however due to the wonderful virus going around, our household got shut down for 2 weeks. Hoping last few days there will be a deer tied to a tree waiting for me.
JjNUrK
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 01:01

Neighbor came by and dropped off some deer trimmings. He said make something. So I did. You have to love it when the deer come to you and you don't have to get off the couch.

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Nov 18, 2020 01:36

That looks terrific Devo. Would you explain the process of making the jerky in sheets? Looks interesting.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 03:32

Butterbean wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 01:36
That looks terrific Devo. Would you explain the process of making the jerky in sheets? Looks interesting.
Thanks
Its a pretty simple process actually. I used to use a poly cutting board that I added strips on the sides to give it a 1/4 lip on both sides and lay the ground meat in the middle. I would then use a rolling pin to flatten it out to the right thickness.
I saw a fellow post on another site where he just used large freezer bags. Rolled the meat out with a rolling pin and it sure saves a lot of time and clean up. The bags are about the right size for my smoker racks so it worked out very well.
Cut the bags down the sides and lay it on the rack. Peel the bag away. No fuse, no mess. LOL
Once the jerky is at the right texture I just used a pair of kitchen scissors to cut them into strips.

Heres a picture of my old way of doing it.
Cutting board method:
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 15:36

My friend Kirby has it down to a science. I just used his idea for the board although mine was not as fancy as his. He does hundreds of pounds of venison and elk each year with his hunting buddies so he has all the equipment. You don't need to anything fancy if your just doing small batches.

Check out his video
https://vimeo.com/246894240
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Nov 18, 2020 23:27

Thanks Devo! That's ingenious! I'm a little unclear on one thing though. Once you have it spread to the right thickness do you put the mince on a screen and then in the smokehouse or does it stay on the board for a while till it firms up?
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 03:26

A long time ago I bought Reusable Teflon Grilling Mats. Can't remember the name but they fit my bradley smoker racks. Good to 400 degrees so they say. Smoker don't go that high so I really don't know. Just transfer the flattened out ground meat to the mat and lay that on your smoker rack. You can see the Teflon Mat sitting inside the rack if you look at the jerky pictures.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Nov 19, 2020 16:48

Thanks. I see it now and understand. I'm a bit slow at times. :oops: Thanks, I may give this a try. Normally make jerky with whole meats but could see where using mince might add additional flavor.

My children will be here over the holidays and we plan on doing some hunting. They are probably looking for antlers while I am looking for some plump doe to add to my collection. With this cooler weather I plan on filling the smokehouse with all sorts of things. Have four deer in the freezer now and plan on adding more to this as long as I don't exceed 12 as that is my limit. Of course between the four of us we could go as high as 48 and still be legal. We have an overabundance of deer and they need to be thinned but everyone these days wants to hunt horns. Nothing wrong with that I guess but the population needs to be thinned because they are causing problems. I plan on doing my part though and the excess products will be given to charity.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 20:39

Sounds great. Here is a good recipe but I can no longer get the soy vay veri veri teriyaki up here in Canada unless I sell my house. By the time it crosses the border it triples in price. Walmart in the States usually has it.
https://www.soyvay.com/products/veri-veri-teriyaki/

3.3 oz per pound of meat soy vay veri veri teriyaki
1 tsp / pound crushed red pepper
1 tsp / 5# cure # 1
And that is it. Smoke and dry.

It is so simple and taste great and has a spicy bite.

Stay safe this holiday season, its getting nasty out there.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Nov 19, 2020 23:32

Thanks, I'll look for that marinade. Have you ever tried making your own? I can make a pretty decent teriyaki sauce and usually a thick marinade just has added corn starch to it. Just a thought.

It is getting bad out there. Just got word that my daughter, a nursing student, now has the corona and since I was near her yesterday I possibly might have it as well. Gonna be tested Monday. It sucks having two nurses in the house with this virus going around. Looks like our whole Thanksgiving is going to be shot now. My wife has already had it, now my daughter has it and I may have it so its going to be a real pain to social distance under these circumstances. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just pitch a tent and sleep in the deer woods for the next two weeks until its safe for me to be around people. :lol:
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Fri Nov 20, 2020 14:39

I feel for you BB. My kid landed up getting it and the whole house hold is on lockdown for 2 weeks. I asked if I could go hunting, even though I'm negative and by myself, they still refused me. Just to have them check on me every odd day to make sure I'm staying at home. It's a bummer but what do you do. If all goes well, there will be a couple days left in the season for me, so hopefully there will be one tied to a tree. We're not as abundant here as you guys. 1 deer overall and in some more populated zones an 2nd anterless one.
JjNUrK