Venison Sausages

Butterbean

Re: Venison Sausages

Post by Butterbean » Fri Nov 20, 2020 17:01

Yeah, this thing really stinks. I'll be tested Monday to see if I have it and hopefully I don't so me and the boys can camp and hunt and practice Level 17 social distancing. :lol: :lol:
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 17:34

Just harvested a nice fat mature dry doe this morning. I had limited time to hunt this year and my daughter is coming home sunday night to hunt for two day so I left the bucks for her. A batch of this sausage of Reds is hanging in the garage in the "kit form"!
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 21, 2020 17:54

Hi Don, congrats on the hunt! Looking forward to seeing the results of the sausage.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Nov 23, 2020 00:51

redzed wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 05:31
It's mid November and once again time for deer sausage! This is my latest take on the original recipe posted at the start of this thread. Double smoked and dried for three days. Downright excellent!

Image Image

Polish Venison and Pork Kielbasa

Recipe for 1kg of meat
Venison, Class I, no connective tissue, no fat, 400g
Venison, Class III with connective tissue, no fat, 100g
Pork picnic and butt meat, Class II (40% fat), 500g
Ingredients
Salt, 17g
Cure #1, 2g
Pepper, medium grind, 3g
Coriander, 1.5g
Fresh garlic, 6g
Mustard seed, whole, 4g
Juniper berries 1g.
Mace, 1g
Corn syrup solids, 2g
100ml. water

Processing Instructions
1. Cube the venison and pork, keeping the different classes of meats separate. Add the salt and #1 to the cubed meat, mix well, pack into a container, cover, and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.
2. Grind Class I venison through 10mm plate, the Class II pork through 7mm plate and class III venison twice through the 3mm plate.
3. Toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds and the juniper berries and grind finely.
4. Take the Class III ground meats, add all the spices and approximately 30% of the water. Mix and mix until you achieve a sticky but still loose paste. Add this to the other ground meats and mix well. Add the rest of the water gradually. I mixed this batch for 10 minutes in my 33lb. electric mixer.
5. Stuff into 32-40mm hog casings. Twist into neat and uniform links.
6. Set the sausage overnight in fridge or up to two hours at room temperature.
7. Preheat your smoker to 160F, let it cool, and load your sausage into it. Open top and bottom dampers wide and warm sausage at 110F for one hour. Smoke for 3 hours at 130-145F (55-65C).
8. Finish by poaching with water at a temp of170F (77C) until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 160F (71C). Cool gently with water and hang at room temp for 2 hours before refrigerating.
9. The next day smoke the sausage for 3 hours with warm smoke, 122F (50C). Air cool and hang in a cool place for 3 days to dry. My sausage was dried in the garage at a temp of 46-52F (8-11C).

Sausage is excellent when eaten cold. If heating, bring up to temp only, don't cook again.
Smacznego!
Redzed, I was wondering why in this recipe you chose to add the corn syrup solids. I know you typically have a reason for doing things and was wondering what your reasoning was on this.

BTW - have some in the smoker as I type. Can't wait to try them.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 04:06

redzed wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 17:54
Hi Don, congrats on the hunt! Looking forward to seeing the results of the sausage.
I butchered the Doe today. I am going to make 10KG of this sausage. I have the 5kg of Venison (2 classes) portioned out and in the cooler. Just thawing the 5 kg of pork Butt. Will cube it and put it to cure/salt tomorrow night after My daughter and I get back from hunting.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 23, 2020 22:31

A small amount of sugar 1-3g is a common ingredient in many sausage recipes. Sugar rounds out the flavours and we all like the taste of it. So instead of adding common sugar (sucrose), I added corn syrup solids. It's a little less sweet, but also have water binding properties and help in the bind. I don't think it made much of a difference, but didn't hurt in any way.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Nov 23, 2020 23:09

Thanks, I was just curious. I followed your recipe to the letter and now have them in the smokehouse for their second smoke bath. If the weather stays cool I may just leave them in there to finish drying.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 24, 2020 07:43

Can't wait to see the sausage and your review!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Nov 24, 2020 21:23

redzed wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 07:43
Can't wait to see the sausage and your review!
In all honesty, this brings back childhood memories of a little butcher shop I'd ride my bike to and gaze at the sausages the guy had hanging in his window. This is excellent and the second smoke, which I had wonders about, transformed the sausage into something better than it was two days ago. The bite, the flavors and everything else has been elevated to a higher degree of excellence. This is NOT the smoked sausage you buy in a store but is what I remember eating when I was a child. It is incredible....... and I still have a couple days of drying yet to do and I know its only going to get better. If someone doesn't like this sausage they must be a vegan or have mental problems. I give it Five Stars.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 14:24

I made up 25 pounds last night. In the cooler now and goi g for the first smoke tonight.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Nov 26, 2020 05:05

Just out of the smoker and into the water bath to poach!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Nov 26, 2020 05:33

Out of the water bath and into the shed. Chinook came in so it's 1C out, perfect temp to cool sausage for the night.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Nov 26, 2020 16:36

Looking good!
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 26, 2020 17:15

Boy that's a nice looking bunch of fat boys! It's nice to stuff into those 40+ casings because they're usually strong and you're done in no time.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Nov 26, 2020 20:35

redzed wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 17:15
Boy that's a nice looking bunch of fat boys! It's nice to stuff into those 40+ casings because they're usually strong and you're done in no time.
It sure does Stuff quickly. These fat rings remind me of the traditional Ukrainian garlic coils we got got when I was a kid. I'm just sampling some now to compare after the second smoke and dry. It's very nice and the Juniper flavor is just there. This batch may be just a tad lean as the only pork I had on hand was boneless loins. The 2 half loins I had were just under 6kg, and I used 5 kg of Venison. 3 KG of loin and 3KG of picnic would have been better. Still awesome so far though!