Big Guy's Venison Summer Sausage

Butterbean

Big Guy's Venison Summer Sausage

Post by Butterbean » Tue Nov 24, 2020 16:47

This is the recipe I mentioned in another post created by one of our past members who went by the name Big Guy. He normally used volumes in his recipes so I set about to convert this to metric for ease in making. I'll give the recipe verbatim. This is a beautifully flavored summer sausage and well worth the time and effort to make.

Meats - 1/2 venison or moose and 1/2 pork shoulder

Grind meats through the 3/16" plate.
Add spices and water and mix well and refrigerate for 48 hours.
Stuff into cloth casings 4"x12"
Place in 130F smoker for 2 hours with no smoke
Turn up smoker to 150F and give heavy smoke for 4 hours.
Increase temperature to 175F and bake till internal temperature reaches 150F
Remove from smoker, shower with water and let rest at room temperature for a couple hours.
Refrigerate overnight.

Recipe per 1 kilogram

Salt 23.0 g
Cure 1. 2.5 g
Onion Powder. 4.4 g
Granulated Garlic. 8.8 g
Course Black Pepper 4.0 g
Mustard Seed. 2.9 g
Sugar. 7.0 g
Fresh Nutmeg. 0.22 g
Basil. 0.88 g
Coriander Seed. 0.44 g
Powdered Milk. 9.4 g
Ice water. 50.0 ml
redzed

Re: Big Guy's Venison Summer Sausage

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 24, 2020 18:29

Good recipe, especially if the venison might have a stronger gamey taste. The only thing I would adjust here is the amount of milk powder. I would cut that in half, or else you probably would need to add more water.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Nov 24, 2020 21:02

The milk powder thing could be my math. I calculated that after the fact. He called for 1/2 cup for every 10 lbs and this would be the milk powder you buy in the store and not the NFD milk powder you get through butchering places.

What I typically do is add all the dry spice ingredients together and make a slurry then coat the meat with it before the first grind. This time I cured the meat for about three days then did this with the spices then ground it. I really think there is a lot to pre-curing your meats but I'm so impatient at times.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 15:09

When I made reds Venison sausage last night, that was the first time I had pre-cured all the meat. The grind and mix was defiantly quite different. In the shop I helped at they made such volumes and so often it would be very difficult to do that with every batch. It really mixed up nice and sticky. Smoking it tonight. I'm also impatient and don't usually have the cooler space to have it all sitting for a few days. I usually make 3 or 4 batches of different sausage at one sitting as clean up is a pain in the ass, especially the silent cutter.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Nov 25, 2020 15:23

fatboyz wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 15:09
When I made reds Venison sausage last night, that was the first time I had pre-cured all the meat. The grind and mix was defiantly quite different. In the shop I helped at they made such volumes and so often it would be very difficult to do that with every batch. It really mixed up nice and sticky. Smoking it tonight. I'm also impatient and don't usually have the cooler space to have it all sitting for a few days. I usually make 3 or 4 batches of different sausage at one sitting as clean up is a pain in the ass, especially the silent cutter.
I learned a few years back that pre-curing the meat is the best way to go but my impatience often gets in the way of my doing this all the time. IMHO, it makes a lot of difference and by far the best way to make really high quality sausages.