Fermenting with Duck

christofaun

Fermenting with Duck

Post by christofaun » Sun Jan 24, 2021 17:56

Greetings,

I'm interested in developing a fermented/ dried duck sausage. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there or recipes to reference so I thought I'd reach out. Has anyone ever experimented with this outside of the ubiquitous duck "proscuitto"? Are there extra considerations or safety hurdles to consider with poultry? The texture of cured breast is sublime, and it seems to me it would translate quite well to a saucisson-style product, allowing some interesting interpretations for seasoning. I'm sure there's good information around but I thought it would be enjoyable to bounce this one off of a forum.

Thoughts?
redzed

Re: Fermenting with Duck

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 24, 2021 18:05

Wild or domestic duck?
christofaun

Post by christofaun » Sun Jan 24, 2021 23:13

Domesticated.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 25, 2021 17:44

Poultry salami is not common in NA or Europe. In Asia salami where poultry meat is fermented, smoked and cooked is common. In North America hobbyists are not advised to make salami with poultry meats because a very large percentage of the meat that is sold to us in supermarkets is contaminated with listeria. Poultry fat is also soft, mostly unsaturated, which makes it difficult to make a product that is made from 100% poultry. That would also apply to your question about using duck. Having said that, it's not impossible and if you apply the correct technology, you should be able to create a duck salami. If you pm me your email, I'll email you some info on the subject. Because of copyright, I can't post it here.