Smoker plans

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 01, 2011 03:40

I have yet to build a smokehouse but I have in mind to use 3/4 inch plywood and cut 4- 2 feet by 4 feet panels. Hinge one and fasten the others with screws. Set it on a raised base and provide a vented cover. Supply smoke from an external fire. just have to figure out how to not set it on fire.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Mar 01, 2011 04:19

Chuckwagon wrote:Steelchef wrote:
Testing - Testing!
Eureka! I think I've got it!
Uh, don't depend on it Chef-o !
Look at the picture again. Photobucket has cut all your tomatoes and eggs in half! :shock:

Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
Jeez Dad,

Stop embarrasing me!

I knew that this new technology was cutting edge but had no idea that it would prepare food. Now I can avoid the drudgery of cutting this stuff up, simply use Photobucket and put it in the smoker? Should I put the photo in too? I'm confused.

:idea: :oops: :roll:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Tue Mar 01, 2011 06:26

SikaStag, I've corrected your link. And a little help here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL_ymezOxls
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Mar 01, 2011 06:49

ssorllih wrote:I have yet to build a smokehouse but I have in mind to use 3/4 inch plywood and cut 4- 2 feet by 4 feet panels. Hinge one and fasten the others with screws. Set it on a raised base and provide a vented cover. Supply smoke from an external fire. just have to figure out how to not set it on fire.
Welcome Ross and good luck with your project. I am not an authority but would recommend a smaller metalized smoker for a first go. One of the big concerns about plywood is the plastic that is used to laminate it. Should that leech into your smoke it could potentially contaminate the food, even lethally. If you wish to continue, please buy an industrial sized fire extinguisher first.
There are many smoke generators out there which could be attached to your concept but they would have to be insulated against the inevitable heat generation. Another solution would be to extend a 4" - 6" pipe from the smoke source to the plywood box. This would provide a cold smoking environment but I still have concerns about the possible chemical contamination.

Cheers!
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 06:56

Hi ssorllih,

Before you lay out any bucks, why not read Stan Marianski`s book "Meat Smoking And Smokehouse Design" (available at Bookmagic.com). This book is jam packed full of ideas and information. To get an idea of the material in his book, click on Wedlinydomowe.com then look in the upper right for smokehouse plans.
The link for the firebox itself is:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse ... se-firebox

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

PS... having some computer issues... or I would fire-up the link for you.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 01, 2011 13:39

Good points. It is probably better to go to a sawmill and get natural wood. I am open to any and all advise.
Ross- tightwad home cook
SikaStag
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SikaStag » Wed Mar 02, 2011 13:34

Siara wrote:SikaStag, I've corrected your link. And a little help here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL_ymezOxls

Thank you Siara, I have it sussed out now, thanks to the link you have given.
Much appreciated, thank you.

Ian