Post Pics of your Smokers!!

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 10, 2012 03:32

Russ you have the complication of the alkaline ashes. A cast refractory lining would be the most durable.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Nov 10, 2012 04:25

True. Noted. I probably need a fire tray so I can keep ashes from contacting the inside of the firebox. (Brick is a great idea, too.)

The exterior is a problem, too, though. Phosphate plus interior firebrick ought to work wonders, I suspect. What do you think? ...maybe there?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 10, 2012 05:19

Firebrick cut into mosaic tiles could line the inside. As you know hot steel oxidizes very quickly and black iron oxide quickly turns red. There are some very heat resistant paints. I have a Rustoleam® brand BBQ paint labeled to withstand upto 800°F. I have painted the smoke pipe on my smoker with that.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

post pics of your smokers

Post by ursula » Sat Nov 10, 2012 08:41

Hi all
Thank you all so much for the lovely compliments and the great suggestions. Since that photo I have solved the condensation problems. The inside of the smokehouse is lined with black plastic in removable frames. There is now a raised baffle above the inlet pipe which condenses the moisture before it enters the chamber. Also a new air intake with a control valve to increase airflow.
This is the first thing I have ever built and I learnt a heck of a lot. It took ages to plan, modify, work out materials, and lots of mistakes along the way. I had some great technical support. I especially loved the chiselling and the mitre saw, but the jigsaw is no friend of mine.
I will take on board, Ross, the suggestion to use phosphoric acid on the firebox.
Unfortunately, there is rarely any snow here, so the pitch is a bit of a waste!
I thought initially that if the smoking meat thing doesn't work I could use it as an outhouse or a church.
Now I am designing a new kitchen, but that might have to wait till 2013.
More sausages to make....
Ursula
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Nov 10, 2012 23:55

ssorllih wrote:There are some very heat resistant paints. I have a Rustoleam® brand BBQ paint labeled to withstand upto 800°F. I have painted the smoke pipe on my smoker with that.
I must have hit 805°F+ with mine. The Rustoleum wasn't up to it, despite the loving care lavished on it while preparing the surface. ...firebrick looks like a good way to get ariound that. Thanks. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 07:01

I must have hit 805°F+ with mine. The Rustoleum wasn't up to it
Duck, ol' boy... The Rustoleum can take intense flame... it can take boiling liquid... It's the constant exposure to "hot air" that made it fail! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 11, 2012 19:56

The mark II smoker on my Charbroil grill. Image
First run .
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 07:42

Ross ol' pal,
You deserve a good smoker and that looks like a pretty good outfit. Thanks for all your contributions. You've certainly helped a lot of folks. We appreciate your input.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Wed Jan 30, 2013 22:37

Under construction:

In use:

and an 18" WSM

Retired:

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 22:56

Yes sirrrr-eeeee, we`re mighty proud to be in cahoots with a huckleberry above a persimmon such as the likes of ya' all. Shucks, Nick... your pics are excitin`! Yup, sort-ta like a rattler at a square dance! I reckon ya' all ought-ta skee-dattle back home now and put on the feed bag. Side step the round browns pardner, and jain me fer some bear paws in the kitchen. Tarnation, if you ain't the sound on the goose! Well done, friend. :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Thu Jan 31, 2013 00:25

That smoker is just gorgeous. Love the shingles. Are you adding to the roofline on the side for an undercover area? Nice work, Nick.
Regards Ursula
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Jan 31, 2013 00:26

atcNick - I've really appreciated watching the progress of your current smokehouse build. What is the purchase of the A-Frame-ish extenstions on the side? Support?
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:37

Thanks guys! The extension of the roof will be for a covered wood storage. I hope to have that built tomorrow
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:42

ursula wrote:That smoker is just gorgeous. Love the shingles. Are you adding to the roofline on the side for an undercover area? Nice work, Nick.
Regards Ursula
No shingles, it's lap and gap cedar boards. I wanted to use cedar shakes but I couldn't find anyone that sells them. Thanks for the compliments'!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

New firebox.

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 05, 2014 21:36

As a result of poor material choices and about 3 years of use my firebox and smoke stack needed to be replaced. I have a small pile of firebrick and a length of 2 inch aluminum pipe so I built a new firebox.
Ross- tightwad home cook