A-MAZE-IN Smoker - Feedback Requested

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 30, 2012 00:52

look into ornamental plantings as a source of wood for smoking. You folk are far enough south to grow apples and pears and stone fruit. All very good for smoked meats. Any of the nut trees will be good.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Marty
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Marty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 01:30

Oh yes there are plenty of those around! A lot of the apple and pear orchards have been taken out in our area sadly, but I do know a guy who has a cherry orchard and a lot of cherry stumps (which I just pulled out for him with my excavator a few weeks ago!). I'm sure he'll be more than happy to get rid of a couple of these.

So anyway - that is my reason for not getting an AMAZE-IN cold smoke generator. I can't get pellets, unless I start up a pellet making factory (and that isn't happening anytime soon!!)
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jul 30, 2012 01:46

ssorllih wrote:look into ornamental plantings as a source of wood for smoking. You folk are far enough south to grow apples and pears and stone fruit. All very good for smoked meats. Any of the nut trees will be good.
Hmm, most agree that hickory is excellent, but not all nut woods. Walnuts are common throughout Europe but never used to smoke meats because it produces a biiter taste. Did we not have a thread about this somewhere?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 30, 2012 01:52

American black walnut is quite different from carpathian walnut and butternut is quite closely related to black walnut. I also wonder about corellis or hazelnut also known as flibert. Pecan is related to hickory but also different. Almonds are more closely related to peaches.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sun Aug 26, 2012 05:09

From my understanding, the new tube smoker works better in low oxygen environments.
I have the 18" version and use it on my gaser with no problems. Works great in the FEC-100 also.
Todd also make a shorter version, I think it's 15"???
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker