Help modifying concrete building to make a cold smoker

tdimler
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tdimler » Sat Mar 09, 2013 21:27

Smoking now!

I planned to tinker with it and monitor the temperature this afternoon but the wind started whipping around 35-40mph so it wasn't safe to mess with it.....still anxious to see if I can put some real heat to the house. It smokes like the dickens though. Still puffing away after several hours and only a little bit of wood. The chimney has a damper in it although these dampers they sell leave nearly as much open space as they block. I'm going to re-do the firebox connection above when I get some good clamps. I've got a piece of black stove pipe and a damper, but the worm gear clamps won't put enough squeeze on the stovepipe. What I've got going on now is some aluminum flashing...it actually worked great and I'd leave it as is but I think I need a damper there.

Travis
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Mar 10, 2013 02:34

Looks like you have plenty of smoke. Now you just need a hazmat suit so you can check the sausages.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sun Mar 10, 2013 05:04

What a beautiful job, Travis!
The building looks really rustic, looks like it belongs in a French province. Bet it makes you smile every time you look at it.
I love it.
Ursula
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Mar 10, 2013 06:42

ursula wrote:What a beautiful job, Travis!
The building looks really rustic, looks like it belongs in a French province. Bet it makes you smile every time you look at it.
I love it.
Ursula
I agree 100%!

Great looking setup, looking forward to seeing some meat come out of it.

Charlie