First Smoker and Question

Flaffer

First Smoker and Question

Post by Flaffer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 01:32

I inherited this old fridge turned smoker from my brother, who passed recently. He was the smoke master in the family and I would like to continue the tradition. Please bear with me as I am somewhat new to smoking. I took his design and added a pid unit to control the temp and element, and also added a smokedaddy big kahuna to have the option of cold smoking. When I tried it out a few days ago, I noticed the smoke in the smoker was yellow and heavy. I tried it both with the air pump on high and low with the same results. I used wood chips purchased locally that state they are good for gas or electric models. I am assuming I need more airflow? Any hints or am I just paranoid? I am looking to make and smoke some summer sausage this weekend for my family and I would hate to ruin the flavor. Thanks everyone.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Tue Jun 10, 2014 02:49

I can only tell you of my experience with the masterbuilt electric. To much wood and I will get the same thing. On a calm day it will only take a very little bit of wood to get a thin blue smoke. At least you have a blower. Once the wood gets going it is very hard to control
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 07:26

Nice to hear from you Flaffer. Be sure to check out this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5154
I can't help much with "SmokeDaddy". Hang on... these good folks will help you with your question.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 09:38

Flaffer,
I have never use a Big Daddy but a friend of mine refuses to use one. He is an experienced smoker and a member here.
Having said that, Smoke Daddy's seem to work very well on YouTube.
Shoot them an email with your problems, I bet they will be able to solve your problem.
Good Luck,
Jan.
vietinis

Post by vietinis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 22:21

I have Smoke daddy for 4 years - mainly got it for cold smoking. Works perfect ... if you have too thick smoke - you need to allow air to flow. When I started the same was happening for me ... Generator needs to "warm up" or just be hot to touch , only then you will be able to softly regulate smoke flow. my version did not had even adjustable pump, so I got some cheap power adjuster from lowes and it did the trick ... now cold smoked tenderloins, loins , mozzarella and salmon lox is a breeze to do ...
Food is most desired thing for old man and second most for young one …