Cadillac by StefanS

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Cadillac by StefanS

Post by StefanS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 15:12

Hi All.
As promised - today will start posting my photo report building my smoker.
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/2306/hkyXsi.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/2306/hkyXsi.jpg
Foundation - leveled and compacted, crushed stone, double layer of weedblocker, and 2" sand.
Last edited by StefanS on Mon Jan 25, 2016 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 15:18

During all process I have get some new ideas, so finally my foundation is too big, but it stays like it is.
Getting new ideas, new measurements, preparing to build walls and smoke channels.
https://imageshack.com/i/exN7sLl6j
https://imageshack.com/i/idfP93Prj
https://imageshack.com/i/eyOL8Tnmj
During that process again some changes, so finally walls and channels looks like this
https://imageshack.com/i/exVUYjbHj
https://imageshack.com/i/idMDgxrzj
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 26, 2015 16:37

Wow Stefan that looks like quite the project! Cant wait to see the finished smoker.

Bet you wish it looked green out there now....snowing here again today :cry:
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Feb 26, 2015 16:40

Stefan that is a Cadillac for sure! You certainly know what you are doing. Definetely superior to my Cabellas Pro!00 electric! Solid and well insulated, you can smoke in any weather! And by the looks of that sausage, you look like an old hand at this!

I noticed that damper for smoke/heat and wonder how well you can control the temperature in the smokehouse with it? That is not always easy with a natural wood fire. But the sausages look perfect, great clour, very evenly finished and no smudging.

And you don't need to post a link to each photo. I was able to scroll through all 33 pictures after opening the first one.

Good job!Image
Last edited by redzed on Thu Feb 26, 2015 16:50, edited 2 times in total.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 16:45

https://imageshack.com/i/pcDppbGYj - just taking a "thinking brake" :wink:
using a brainstorming liquid "Warka Strong" :lol:
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 17:01

Oh ok - thank you Redzed -just saw your post. so do not need post any other links.
To answer your questions - temp. control is perfect, maybe you didn't pay attention but - chimney damper is one, second- floor openings (there are two) has also dampers, plus front doors to fire chamber is also regulator. Burning chamber has measurements (inside) 24"widht by 16"tall by 46"long. also there is additional channel (cold) long going around Burning chamber(picture where bricks laying on concrete slab)). So during smoking it is additional temperature control because can switch between direct smoke entry to smoking chamber or by canal entry.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 17:16

Just uploaded a few pictures more.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Mar 05, 2015 21:21

I would like to add one comment to this image
https://imageshack.com/i/pag93leEj
Here is visible a cover for burning chamber that looks like a "dog house". In future it will be a dehydrating/ drying chamber for fruits and vegetables. After a few smoking processes I have found out that there is almost perfect conditions to do drying process. My mini orchard (26 fruit trees ) and 450 s.ft vegetable garden will provide enough staff to experimental drying process.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Apr 02, 2016 17:19

Here we are - by my promise to Betterbean and PEG(peg), I would like to update my posts and attach some pictures. Main focus of it is to show you "plumbing" and temperature control in my smokehouse.
Layout - some ideas I got during use of my old smokehouse, some ideas I've found on polish site of WD. Main focus on my ideas was that I want to build smokehouse to be useful in 2 systems - cold smoking and hot smoking. Smoke source - wood.
Burning chamber and main canal - 46" long, 22" wide, 16" tall. Inlet opening to smoking chamber - 12X12"
"Cold" canal - 96"long, 10" wide, 16" tall - going around main canal with inlet opening 10X10" located in corner of smoking chamber.
Smoking chamber - outside wall made from shipping crate, 3" insulation, inside wall - 3/4" planks(grove and tongue). 42"X38"X74" to roof.
Roof - asphalt shingles, plywood, insulation, planks, Chimney 16" tall with opening 12X12".
Walls covered in plastic sidingImage
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 02:01

Controls in my smoker. They are helping mountain required temperature of smoking.
There are 3 of them - 1. door to burning chamber 2. sliding latch between burning chamber and smoking chamber (there are two of them - hot and cold channel), 3. damper on chimney.
Most important control of temperature is on chimney. Also important is opening door to chamber - it is letting air (oxygen) going to burning chamber. It is special correlation between two of them to keep temperature in right level. Another important issue is wood and way of burning. I'm using seasoned, dried wood , mostly hickory, and apple wood. Keeping a pieces of wood together during burning will rise a temp., separate them - will keep steady temp. also it will keep flame on low.
After almost 2 years of using - it is perfect and easy to use smokehouse - fits my needs for hot smoking (95% of smoking). During summer and hot weather is not possible use this smoker to cold smoking purposes ( in this purpose I have started think about build and connect a smoke generator - future). During winter - yes. Required small amount of wood to do the job.
Small " dog house" above burning chamber - I'm using it to dehumidify/dry my veggies and fruits.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:56

Nice job and interesting setup. Can you add heat with no smoke by adjusting the dampers?
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Mon Apr 04, 2016 16:41

Thank you StefanS very good information and very generous of you to provide.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 21:53

Butterbean wrote:Nice job and interesting setup. Can you add heat with no smoke by adjusting the dampers?
BB - it is not possible - if you asking about smoking chamber.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Apr 06, 2016 00:47

I was hoping you had figured out the magic of that. I tried several things but just couldn't swing it. Still like your smoker nonetheless. Nice job and good craftsmanship. Its amazing how well insulated you can make a structure like that isn't it?

Do you often use the damper in the chimney or have you found a certain setting that pretty well does it? Reason I ask, is in BBQ'ing I was always cautioned on using a vent damper. I have one on one of my BBQ smokers but seldom ever use it. Find I can control most everything from the inlet dampers.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Apr 09, 2016 00:35

Butterbean wrote: Do you often use the damper in the chimney or have you found a certain setting that pretty well does it? Reason I ask, is in BBQ'ing I was always cautioned on using a vent damper. I have one on one of my BBQ smokers but seldom ever use it. Find I can control most everything from the inlet dampers.
BB - BBQ and meat smoking- are two different processes. So it is not comparable in operating whole process. In my case - smoking - I'm using different settings for inlet, dumper all time. During a smoking process mostly I'm using chimney dumper as main regulator for temperature control plus for density of smoke in smoking chamber.
Inlet of air is just for delivery of oxygen for burning process, dumper on chimney is for absorbing and control of smoke to preserving job on meat.