Curing Chamber

tazplas
User
User

Curing Chamber

Post by tazplas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05

My first post here but i reckon a few people may be interested.

Here are the pictures of the fridge I have converted. It's an old style wine fridge that has a cooling plate in the back.

The controls on it were shot but every thing else worked so here's what I did:

1. Ebay - brought a
a. temperature controller - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Temperature- ... 2c67ce92f8
b. humidity controller - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Humidifier-A ... 20c8166b07
c. Ultrasonic Humidifier - http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Home-Garden- ... humidifier
2. Local Electrical Wholesaler - 1 x box and 2 single outlets
3. Dick Smith - 12V DC supply for the PC fan
4. Wired it all up. Temp on the left, Humidity on the right.

I also have a small 12V DC computer fan that forces air over the cooling plate in the back of the fridge. This only comes on when the fridge is running.
The humidity looks after itself and I just need to top up the water every now and then.
Typical humidity over here is less than 55% so hence the need for the humidifier.
I had a 240V version but that died after about 3 weeks. The one I have now runs from a plug in 24V transformer. They're only about $20 each.

Results

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Steve
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 23:10

Now that is sexy! :mrgreen:

Looks like you put some thought into this about the controls and such. I take it the humidifier is adjustable to set the exact level you want, or a span?

Is the wood rack teak? Also, how well does the wood hold up to the constant humidity?

I love the glass door on the front as well! Watch it cure and drool without disturbing it!

Those "down under" outlets are confusing to me! :lol:

Charlie
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jan 08, 2013 00:23

Is the green/white plastic item on the bottom (with the inverted water bottle) in there in case the kitty cat wanders in while the door is open and gets trapped?

Beautiful piece of work. Keep us posted on how well it performs.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ajwillsnet
User
User

curing chamber

Post by ajwillsnet » Tue Jan 08, 2013 00:41

Very nice work !. You inspired me to get going on one of these for myself. I see on ebay there is a controller that has both humidity and temperature all in one box for about
$ 30.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-WH8040-Dig ... 53f205abc5.
I am going to order it.
Keep up the postings of the end results with pics.

Best Regards,

Bert,
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 08, 2013 01:40

I have a very serious problem with my sausage making...... I don't eat enough ! I get sausage out two links at a time about once a week.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 04:07

Charlie,
We now have another member on the forum, Redzed and a host of others, that load photo's on the forum of their cured and dried meats that absolutely drive me nuts.
Steve mailed me a sample a long time ago that was superb, every time I see the postie I am hoping???????
Cheers,
Jan.
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 05:17

Hi guys

The humidifier is adjustable but i have it wound up on full and the sensor/controller does all the work. Brings it on as required.
I believe the wood is a hard wood. Not sure but could be Jarra or similar. Humidity is not a problem.
Either way, the Penfolds Grange in the wooden boxes at the top seem to like it :lol:

Jan, you never know what the post will bring. How about a swap for some of those snags you make?

Cheers

Steve
ajwillsnet
User
User

ultrasonic humifidier

Post by ajwillsnet » Tue Jan 08, 2013 18:35

Has anyone tried one of these to add humidity to a curing chamber ?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-12-L ... 2651706%26
A humidity controller would still be required of course.

Bert
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 08, 2013 18:56

That is the purpose of the humidifier.
Ross- tightwad home cook
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Jan 08, 2013 22:19

Wow - how inspiring. Making a curing cabinet is next on my list after I have sorted out a new smoker. How do you stop mold growing inside the chamber, is the fan enough to do this? How do you replace the stale air - is occasionally opening the door enough?
tazplas
User
User

Re: ultrasonic humifidier

Post by tazplas » Sat Jan 12, 2013 00:51

ajwillsnet wrote:Has anyone tried one of these to add humidity to a curing chamber ?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-12-L ... 2651706%26
A humidity controller would still be required of course.

Bert
Well that is basically what i have installed.
I swap out the air via two ways.
1. i keep my wine in the same place so that requires a daily visit :wink:
2. i have the wires running past the door seals so there is air leakage anyways and that seems to work.

As for mould, the only mould i get is on the meat. Humidity is kept at about 70% and that works for me at this point in time.

Cheers

Steve
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 12, 2013 01:22

I have this cool mist humidifier and it works well for me. I need t refill it only about once per month. I use only distilled water and wash it with a mild chlorine solution between fills.

Never had a problem with mould in the chamber.

I installed a computer fan with a damper on the top of the converted fridge. It runs on a timer for 30 minutes every 12 hours. I cut out an intake air hole at the bottom and use a built-in vacuum receptacle to control how much air to let in. Works very well, limits excessive humidity build-up, and I don't have to keep having to go and open and close the fridge. I went away for three weeks last fall and everything was fine.
Tom J
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom J » Sat Jan 12, 2013 17:47

redzed

Looks great, great job.
The built in vacuum receptacle you speak of, is this of the central home type and is the flap spring loaded? OR, am I just totally confused?

Tom J

P.S. Wish I had your RH %, here the avg. is around 25 %
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:06

Tom, you hit right on the nose, it's the spring loaded type. Covers the hole neatly and seals it well when you don't need it. Yeah the conditions here are better for dry curing, in fact my garage for about 3 months is around 6-12° and 75% RH, so you almost don't need a curing chamber.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Jan 12, 2013 21:02

Redzed,

When you refer to the garage being 6-12 degrees, are you talking C or F?

I would assume C given your location, but wanted to clarify for others.

Charlie