Curing Chamber

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Curing Chamber

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed May 04, 2016 14:10

With the help from all of you, I have created some great stuff. I am running into a bind and thought you could enlighten me. I have coppa and bresaola hanging in the chamber at 55 degrees. They are taking longer than I expected, which is no problem. I have always used my chamber for fermentation process also. In all other cases, I would ferment at 73 degrees in the chamber until the meat reaches the desired PH. Once that happens, I would flip the chamber to the desired settings for curing process. Now, I am ready to make more product, yet I have coppa hanging in the chamber. Can someone please make some valid recommendations for fermenting the 36-48 hour process without having to flip my chamber over to 73 degrees? Obviously I can't do that if I have product hanging. Thanks.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed May 04, 2016 15:57

Redzed uses a cooler with a small crock pot for a heat source, without a controller you would have to play around with the settings for the right temp.

Other folks use the oven with the light on.

I just have a dedicated chamber. Makes life easier.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed May 04, 2016 17:29

You can use a cooler or any other type of plastic container, with water pan and a simple heat source and a temp controller. Or you can wrap your coppa in paper and store in fridge while you ferment in the unit. A couple of days for the coppa out of the chamber will not hurt it.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu May 05, 2016 06:00

I use my oven. Door closed, and I get 75-85 deg and 90-95% humidity. Plus the family doesn't mind asking they get to order out or eat out for two days! :-)
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Thu May 05, 2016 13:22

Before I made my chamber, Umai recommended an unused oven for fermentation. Can I stack the meat on top of each other? Should I lay them on a rack with spacing? I remember in the olden days, after stuffing the casings, they used to lay them flat in a bushel basket with towels between them for a couple of day before hanging them in the cellar. Maybe that's what they considered the fermentation process? Again, I'm not convinced anybody knew why they were doing things those days other than saying "that's the way they used to do them"
Kunde

Post by Kunde » Wed Aug 17, 2016 01:59

http://www.steaklocker.com/

pro version almost 4000 USD