Humidity in my curing chamber

bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Humidity in my curing chamber

Post by bolepa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 17:41

Hi everyone and this is my first post on this forum but I am sure not a last one. I am reading posts on this forum for last two - two and a half month to learn from your experience and get ready to start making my first dry-cured sausage.
I bought three major (from my point of view) books and learned the subject more in deep. I think that at this point I understand theory and principles of making dry-cure sausages.
I have two hardware-related problems and I am looking for your help here... I build dry cure and fermentation (mini fridge) chambers and able to control temperatures perfectly using Inkbird ITS-308 controllers.
I was able to get humidity under control for my fermentation chamber but it' not a case with controlling humidity for my curing chamber: I ordered and had to return back two humidify controllers (Inkbird IHC-200 and Titan Controls EOS 1).
They both did not work properly and even customer service for both manufactures admitted that controllers are faulty.
I decided to get "what I paying for" and get Auber HD200 Dual Output Programmable Humidity Controller which is much more expensive and recommended by many members of this forum. In spite I don't need to control a dehumidifier (uncontrolled temperature in my curing chamber is 40-45%) I decided to go ahead and but dual controller just in case.
When I set this controller first, I thought "I got it!" - my humidity was controlled for first 30 min perfectly but then it started jumping up to 85% and down to 50%. The controller triggered alarm way to often... I am sure that I did not set it up properly but my problem is... I CAN'T GET IT!!! I was reading manual back and forth for many times but still - cannot get it..
My last resort is this forum: if someone who has this same controller can share with me with controllers setting - I would really appreciate that.... It is not a "Plug and Play" device, how Auber claim it is. At least from my point of view.
My second question is my fermentation chamber: when I set the controller for first time and I was able to control humidity within 83 - 92 %, I left a chamber working overnight. When next morning I woke up and check it - there was a topical rain in my chamber and water was (just a little) coming out from the chamber. Is this supposed to be like that? Don't think so.
I know this is a pretty long email and I probably made you tired of it but... please, please help me... with your knowledge and experience... I know, I probably missed a few (if not more than that) details on the issue so, if this is a case - just let me know. Thank you very much in advance!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Sep 25, 2016 18:41

Welcome to the Forum!

I think Lou has that controller and my be able to help with settings.

In the mean time what do you use to raise and lower the humidity.

Example would be a humidifier to raise and a dehumidifier or air exchange to lower.

Or Just explain your set-up
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 19:06

Bob, than you for the prompt reply! Probably, I was not clear enough when mentioned in my original post that I don't need to control a chamber with dehumidifier (uncontrolled temperature in my curing chamber is 40-45%) so I just need to keep humidity up at certain level. Another words, I don't think I need to dehumidify my chamber as soon as a humidity level in it is 40-45% by default, without working humidifier....
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Sep 26, 2016 00:57

You need to fill in details, type of chamber, constant or variable temp, how you humidify, ect .

Also if you are using a small dorm type fridge, the small environment is difficult to control.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:54

I have an HD-200 and a TD-400. What size is your curing chamber and how much meat do you have in it? During the winter months, I usually need a humidifier. Even when I have a humidifier, I always have a small portable dehumidifier in my chamber mostly because I have a tendency to overload the chamber,,,,which is why I went to a 34 cubic foot chamber now. If you give me your email address, I have an excel spreadsheet that will allow you to set the HD-200 and TD-400 set points in the yellow areas of the spreadsheet. Once you tinker with these in the spreadsheet, the other fields will automatically fill in the humidity and dehumidify levels the controller will turn on at. The HD-200 is a pain to understand and the spreadsheet I created helps a lot. Remember though, all this will do is control the outlets when something is necessary. If you don't have the sufficient gear to remove your humidity or increase your humidity, your numbers will never satisfy. So, the better the humidity and dehumidity equipment you have, the tighter range you can maintain.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:57

This is a sample of the spreadsheet: Image
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:08

Again, I have never run into a situation where a dehumidifier was not needed. Walmart has some small ones that I place right in the chamber. I normally get 3-4 oz of water daily.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:12

bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Mon Sep 26, 2016 19:42

Lou, Thank you very much for your advice. Yes, this is definitely make sense and I am going to my local Walmart to get a dehumidifier. My curing chamber's capacity is 17.7 and currently it is running in "test mode" until I make sure that temp and humidity are under control.
Thank you a lot for the spread sheet - this is exactly what I needed and I am going to provide you with my email....
You guys, on this forum just great!!! Not just you are helping people... Most importantly - you are willing to help.