Humidity / Temperature Combo Controller

AndyPandy
Beginner
Beginner

Humidity / Temperature Combo Controller

Post by AndyPandy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:04

Can anyone recommend a Temperature / Humidity controller. I have the an Inkbird and an Aubern Instruments, which I use in two different curing chambers, but yesterday the Inkbird, after several years of good service, went down the drain. I was thinking of maybe upgrading to a wireless one.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Jan 28, 2019 17:18

Well I don't think you can beat the Auburn as the "more robust" humidity sensor lasts a long time and even if they STB they are reasonably replaceable. What would be the advantage of a wireless controller?
taegutom

Re: Humidity / Temperature Combo Controller

Post by taegutom » Wed Feb 27, 2019 02:38

I am making a dry meat chamber and I understand about the temperature and Humidity controller, but is there a controller that will also dehumidify allowing me to plug in the dehumidifier along with the humidifier and temperature controller? . Guess I am asking this, I want the best way to set this up but have not read anything on when there is too much humidity do I have to manually turn it on? I am very new to this but have looked the FAQ's and not seen anything address this. Please help
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Wed Feb 27, 2019 03:23

taegutom:

To directly answer your question, I believe that the inkbird IHC-200 controller turns on a humidifier when humidity drops below a set point, and turns on a dehumidifier when the humidity exceeds a set value above the set point. Now for my experience. I have a DIY humidity controller that does the same as above. Since where I live, the ambient temperature is frequently near the desired chamber temperature, the refrigerator runs only rarely. Water drying out of the sausage then causes the humidity to run too high. So I got a small dehumidifier (1byone mini humidifier). These are not very efficient, and as they use a peltier cooler to condense water, they also add heat to the chamber. The heating causes the refrigerator to run much more frequently, and the "frost free" refrigerator is very much more efficient at dehumidifying the chamber. I eventually found that just leaving the dehumidifier running all the time allowed the refrigeration and humidifier to maintain the desired environment regardless of ambient temperature.

If you decide to use any one of the inkbird type low cost humidity controllers, make sure that you calibrate it. The low cost sensors that they use are notoriously inaccurate at high humidity settings.

Hopefully this long winded answer makes some sense.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:38

On the Auber side, here's the best way to do it. The HD-220-W is a wifi humidity and dehumidify unit. If you don't need wifi, the model is an HD-220

For Heating and cooling, they TD420P is a dual temp unit. Unfortunately they do not make this available in a wifi unit.

Make sure to calibrate all of your sensors when you get them.

I've also had a humidity sensor fail, so I keep a backup on hand. I also have a 2nd td-420 that I use for the fermentation box which is only used for a couple of days at a time when fermenting, so I can always use that as a chamber backup if needed.