Commercial refrigerator/drink cooler conversion to a curing chamber

redzed

Re: Commercial refrigerator/drink cooler conversion to a curing chamber

Post by redzed » Sat Jul 24, 2021 18:52

Image Image

Thanks for asking. I picked up the unit a couple of weeks ago, but it's still in my garage. The thing is 7 feet high! It came from a juice bar at a gym and is clean and keeps cold. The guy I bought it from said it was about 5 years old, but after I ran the serial number it was shipped from the factory in July, 2013. I've had no time to modify it as yet, just running things through my head. Eric's video about his fan modification was helpful and I will possibly proceed with removing the existing fan and replacing it with a smaller one. My main quandary is whether to install intake and exhaust fans to facilitate air exchange. I'm not always around to open and close the fridge and I've always drilled large holes for this in all my previous setups.

However, at the moment I'm busy with other household projects so I won't get to this until the fall. I also want to reorganize my lower level workroom and apply an epoxy coating on the floor. Since I also make wine down there the floor is badly stained and the existing paint is peeling. It looks terrible.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Commercial refrigerator/drink cooler conversion to a curing chamber

Post by Indaswamp » Sat Jul 24, 2021 22:21

Thanks for the update. I have an old TRUE double door I am holding on to that needs a new refrigeration system. I may repair and put into service if I find a way to do so cheaply. I would not think I would need the cooling capacity as the original system and might fabricate a smaller system to reduce the cost.
If a dehumidifier is used in the system, I don't see the benefit of having air exchange daily. I would think the introduction of wild bacteria and molds would be more of a risk than the need for having fresh air. I do see the benefit of fresh air in a cellar or open air system like in Italy where the volume moisture in the meats hung in close quarters would need fresh air. Can you explain why this is necessary? Thanks.