UMAi dry aging bags

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Nov 10, 2014 18:22

Thank you both for the advice and leading me to the right place. I'll crunch the numbers and see if this is feasible for me, refrigerator space is at a real premium at my house. Two freezers, tons of space, one reefer, not much. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 01:13

sawhorseray wrote:I've gone thru this thread from start to finish now and what's produced by using these UMAI bags looks absolutely fantastic. I'm wondering if this price from Amazon is decent, appears to have everything needed. Wondering if there are better deals to be had, not cheap. RAY

UMAi DryŸ Dry Curing/Aging Bags, Charcuterie by UMAi

$24.99 + $8.99 shipping
comes with (2) 8" x 18" and (2) 10" x 20" bags
5 VacMouse Strips (for better seal)
Insta CureTM #2
0.5 oz Juniper Berries
easy to follow instructions
You know I have had two curing chambers, one I still have. I have spent a good amount of money on humidity controllers temp controllers, PH testers and casings and pretty much any thing else needed to make dry cured salami. If I knew I could make just as good if not better whole muscle and salami from these dry bags I would have saved myself a fortune.
Last edited by Devo on Tue Nov 11, 2014 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Tue Nov 11, 2014 01:42

Devo wrote:If I knew I could make just as good if not better whole muscle and salami from these dry bags I would have saved myself a fortune.
But think how much you would have eaten - the bag is well worth a try. Be sure you are getting the pack that matches what you want to make. Also, for me, some of the packs had ingredients I already have on hand so I often buy just the bags and I bought a bulk pack of the vacmouse. Have fun :!:
Phil
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 01:58

Shuswap wrote:
Devo wrote:If I knew I could make just as good if not better whole muscle and salami from these dry bags I would have saved myself a fortune.
But think how much you would have eaten - the bag is well worth a try. Be sure you are getting the pack that matches what you want to make. Also, for me, some of the packs had ingredients I already have on hand so I often buy just the bags and I bought a bulk pack of the vacmouse. Have fun :!:
Perhaps you misunderstood what I was trying to pass on to others who are thinking about getting into dry curing. My point was buy the bags its a lot cheaper than a curing chamber and all the extras that go into it.
I have been using the bags for well over two years now and only buy what I need. They can keep all their kits as I don't need any of their cures or spices. I have made many salami's in my curing chamber but really don't think they are any better than what you can make with the dry bags.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Nov 11, 2014 16:50

Hey Devo-

Did you use the same cultures and recipes for both methods?
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 18:00

Bob K wrote:Hey Devo-

Did you use the same cultures and recipes for both methods?
Yes I did. The only thing that bothered me was not being able to test the PH after fermentation. Once they are sealed in the bags you really don't want to mess with them. I understand Ph level is determined by the amount of sugar in the recipe and temperature you fermented at, and the culture used but I still like checking.

I had emailed Tub-Ex ApS to see if anyone other than the drybag people sold their product in Canada but I was informed they are the soul distributors unless you want over a 1000 bags :mrgreen:

Thank you for your e-mail.

UMAi Dry is our distributor in the US and Canada for sale to private consumers and smaller businesses (defined by customers purchasing less than 1000 bags per size per delivery).

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Dorthe Nielsen

Chief Operating Officer

Tub-Ex ApS

Industrivej 10

DK-9830 Taars

Denmark

Direct No.: +45 3175 9885

Phone No.: +45 9896 1122

Fax No.: +45 9896 2277

www.tub-ex.com
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Nov 11, 2014 18:28

Devo-
Just keep a sample in a separate bowl or (I use a baggie), in the same environment as the chubs while fermenting and check that sample for the Ph.

Did you cure (dry) them at normal refridge temps (around 35f) or use your curing chamber at higher temps :?: .
What culture did you use?
Sorry for the questions just trying to get a handle on the method.

Looks as if you have cheese in there also :cool:
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 19:39

Bob K wrote:Devo-
Just keep a sample in a separate bowl or (I use a baggie), in the same environment as the chubs while fermenting and check that sample for the Ph.

Did you cure (dry) them at normal refridge temps (around 35f) or use your curing chamber at higher temps :?: .
What culture did you use?
Sorry for the questions just trying to get a handle on the method.

Looks as if you have cheese in there also :cool:
Don't worry about questions, I'm retired now since June 1st and have plenty of time unless I'm drinking beer and I been doing lots of that too :mrgreen:
I have a small bar fridge in my basement I use to store smoked cheese in. Its big enough to use for the DryBag stuff also. On the UMAi site they do not recommend this type of fridge but I have no issues with it at all. I find it takes longer to dry meats and salami's but I think thats an advantage as you don't end up with case hardening.
For this Finocchiona Recipe I just followed their recipe on their site.
I used the Bactoferm T-SP starter culture as per the instructions.

Oh and I forgot to mention the fridge temp is set to 37° F just like any normal fridge might be
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Nov 13, 2014 17:07

Devo-

Have you ever tried curing (drying) at the temperatures recommended for T-SPX 54-60 f ?

That way you would reap the benefits of the color and aroma developing bacteria in the culture.

Otherwise they become inactive at temps below 50 f.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Lonzino Testing Time

Post by Devo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 18:00

Bob K wrote:Devo-

Have you ever tried curing (drying) at the temperatures recommended for T-SPX 54-60 f ?

That way you would reap the benefits of the color and aroma developing bacteria in the culture.

Otherwise they become inactive at temps below 50 f.
No I have not, my feelings on this is follow instructions from the UMAI bag people on their web site as they have way more experience than I.

Anyways I broke out the Lonzino this morning.

Took one of the Lonzino out of the UMAi dry bags. Man I am impressed for sure. Very creamy texture and excellent taste. According to my records the weight lose was 31% but I think it was probably closer to 35%. Just a guess on my part. This stuff is so good I could have sliced all of it up and ate it for lunch.

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 18:45

Bob K
After re-reading their instructions on their web site there was no mention about temperature. I just assumed to fridge them like most everything else they do there. So yes this might be a good idea for future trials. Thanks for the suggestion. The samples I had cut where very good so if your suggestions make them better all the better.
Thanks
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Nov 13, 2014 18:53

Wow Devo that lonzino looks tasty :!:

I really think that the UMAi bags are a great way to cure whole muscle cuts and age meats at refrigerated temps. They are pretty much fool proof.

Other than marketing I don't think a lot of experience or research went into commuted product.

This is my personal opinion :mrgreen:
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Coppa On The Go

Post by Devo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 04:19

Took the recipe from Len poli located HERE http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/coppa.pdf
Also doing these in the UMAi dry bags. I have made these using the traditional curing chamber and it was very good so doing them in the bags this time will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

This after 14 days of curing in vac sealed bags. I seal them just before they pull up tight, this gives room for the liquid.

Out of the bags for a wash & a soak and to get the cure off.

Mixed up the rub to be put on before going into the bags.

The recipe calls for ground up fennel seeds, I had some wild fennel pollen that came from Tuscany so I used that. (expensive stuff)

All rounded up, cleaned up, tied up and netted

All rubbed down and into the bags, fold the bags over so the sealing edge stays clean.

Vac sealed and ready for the fridge.

You need to have air flow around the bags so a wire rack is a good idea.

In just one day they lost 30 grams

I,ll keep you posted from time to time. Should be around 8 weeks I'm thinking.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 07:48

Hi Devo,
I have made quite a few products using the UMAi bags. I am impressed. Where I differ from you is that I put the elastic stretch netting on the outside if the UMAi bags for obvious reasons. Never had a bad result yet.
In Australia we can now buy the Danish bags that are suitable for smoking as well as drying.
My next plan is to make some salami and "smoked"salmon as shown on their website or YouTube.
Keep up the experimenting,
Cheers,
Jan.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:16

Jan
I was wondering what you mean by "I put the elastic stretch netting on the outside if the UMAi bags for obvious reasons." I see no benefit in your way over my way or am I missing something?
Thanks