How do you equalize a Lomo Embuchado w/o a chamber???

ronbo
Beginner
Beginner

How do you equalize a Lomo Embuchado w/o a chamber???

Post by ronbo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 22:31

Hello Everyone,
Im making my first lomo embuchado based on the recipe in Home Production by Marianski, but Im trying to adapt it to Umai since I don't have a curing chamber. So far Ive successfully made several salamis and one Coppa from this book using Umai and had great results.

Ive got a half pork loin weighing 1.5Kg green weight and Ive performed the curing step with the specified rub, placed in the fridge inside a ziplock bag for 11 days (a few days longer than the recipes 7-10). Washed off the cure/rub and put in a clean ziplock back into the refrigerator.

My garage fridge which I use for the Umai projects gets opened only about 4 times a day and is pretty constant at 35F and 40%RH (except when the RH shot up to 70% when I put in 25 eight inch long 32mm Umai salamis last February! LOL!)

MY QUESTION: How do I perform the equalization without a curing chamber? Recipe says "Hang loin at 46F, 72-80% humidity for one month. Do I just leave it in the fridge like this in a ziplock bag for a month and then go Umai for the drying stage? Or go right into Umai now? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for being generous in your sharing of knowledge in this forum. As a 2 yr sausage maker and a first year dry cure whole muscle and salumi maker you have been an invaluable resource to answer questions that have occurred while reading the M&S website as well as the Marianski and Kutas bibles! Thank you!

-Ronbo
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jun 24, 2017 00:52

I believe you are using this Marianski recipe? http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-ot ... -embuchado

If so instead of the 7-10 day cure time just leave it in the cure for 2-3 weeks and then go on to the UMAi bags.
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 06:26

This one piques my interest because I'm always seeing pork loins on sale for cheap. So...step 7.
Dry loins for 3 weeks at 68-72° F (20-22° C). Moisture removal and flavor development takes place at this stage.
Temp is no problem. Seems a bit high, but doable. No mention of RH% though...any suggestions? My chamber will likely hover around 50% if I don't do anything to adjust it. Will that work?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:52

Sleebus-
Lomo, Lonzino are the same thing. This a variation (method)of what you are doing.

Using that method you would have to assume that the Lomo had dried enough to become shelf stable during the equalization stage, otherwise the 68-72° Temp would not be safe.
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 16:01

Yep, I know that. Always like to do different regional preparations just for variety. I just don't know what RH is appropriate during the 3 week drying phase at 68-72° F. I can't imagine it would be up around 80% as that would likely turn into a mess. If I let it run down to 50% where it normally wants to sit, I'd probably run into case hardening...or not? Maybe 70%? I don't have enough experience to know what RH would be too high at those temps.
ronbo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ronbo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 18:31

Bob K, Thanks for the advice. Yes, thats the recipe Im using. If I understand you correctly, your basically saying cure it like I would for a Marianski Coppa (3% Salt, 0.6% Cure #2, 18 days cure time).

Since Ive already washed off the initial cure/salt/spices, would I be creating a risk of too much Cure #2 by reapplying a new batch for the remaining 7 days of the total 3 weeks curing? Knowing that the #2 has to break down over time, Im concerned that 7 days wouldn't be long enough.

Thanks,
Ronbo
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jun 24, 2017 19:49

Ronbo-
The cure will break down over the curing and drying time. Since you are using UMAi and the drying time is done at fridge temps. I would leave as is, let it equalize for the balance of the 3 weeks, then dry in the dry bags.
ronbo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ronbo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 20:32

Bob K
Thanks so very much for your input! Im going to leave it in the fridge as is till day 21 and then Umai till 40% loss.
Thx!