Looking forward to learning from Folks!

Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Looking forward to learning from Folks!

Post by Dave in AZ » Sun Dec 18, 2022 03:48

Looking good! But, what kind of salami? What culture did you use? Thx!
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sun Dec 18, 2022 05:41

It is the Calabrese Salami or style of. I am just using the t-spx, I am not certain if that is the best choice. But I only have it and Bactoferm F-RM-52, and I am going to try that with some Fuet later this week.
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sat Dec 24, 2022 03:05

Thought maybe I had done something wrong with the Mold 600, I guess not! Amazing what can happen in 24 hours, once it starts.

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 24, 2022 22:18

Definitely coming along. What is the casing on the larger sausage in the pic and what are the parameters in the chamber?
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sat Dec 24, 2022 22:55

Just a generic 3 inch Fibrous Casing from Amazon. The fridge part is 23x21x40 inch. It is a 2016 GE Profile and about 16 cu ft.

redzed wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 22:18
Definitely coming along. What is the casing on the larger sausage in the pic and what are the parameters in the chamber?
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sun Dec 25, 2022 17:41

The "traditional" method seems to dry or loose moisture faster then the UMAi. I am sure I am telling most of you things you already know. After 10 days in the bags I had about 13%-15% loss. With this batch I have from 16%-21%. The big ones don't worry me as they are on the lower end and I like a very dry salami. But am going on a 17 day cruise in less then 2 weeks and I wonder it the small one will be petrified when I get back! Who knowes, maybe it will be ready and I can take some!

Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Wed Dec 28, 2022 20:40

Does anyone have any input as to why the Fibrous Casing would grow the mold faster and with more coverage then the Natural Hog casing? Any reason why the Fuet on the right would only be covered in certain areas? Also, can there be to much mold? Should I have sprayed it with the 600 more then once?

Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sun Jan 01, 2023 19:25

Well the natural casing Calabrese is at 41% after 17 days. Seems awful early compared to the UMAi bag salami, but I guess it is 1/3 the size diameter.

I am going to go cut some and try it. If I live I will post some photos in a bit.

Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sun Jan 01, 2023 19:54

Now I have never had, nor even heard of a Calabrese salami till about 4 months ago. So I do not know why I am a little disappoint in flavor. It is kind of like a Spicy pepperoni. At least it has that going for it for when I make pizza.

Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Sun Jan 15, 2023 20:28

Bentley Meredith wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 05:41
It is the Calabrese Salami or style of. I am just using the t-spx, I am not certain if that is the best choice. But I only have it and Bactoferm F-RM-52, and I am going to try that with some Fuet later this week.
Yes, IMO T-SPX is the best choice for calabrese. I recommend avoiding cultures with Pediococcus Acidilactici when you use calabrian peppers becasue P. Acidi. is a very fast culture and the peppers contain sugars so it is easy to overshoot your pH target if you use it. I like T-SPX and SM-194.

SM-194 has the same mix of bacteria strains as B-LC-007 but without the P. Acidi.......
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Tue Jan 24, 2023 22:12

Well, I am not sure what either should taste like as I have never had them. I am surprised and disappointed that for as much chili as I put in it, it is not hotter or even hot. Research tells me the color is right. It does not have a lot of flavor to me. It also is not what I consider a salami texture. It will end up on pizza till it is gone.

The Fuet on the other hand has the exact texture I am looking for. It is a mild flavor, but I never understood why very little mold grew on it? Pleased for a 1st time go at what I call fermented dry aged salami.

My next effort will be Snack sticks with fermento, a shot at the Sopprasota again, this time not done in a 38° fridge. And I am going to try and make some All Beef Bologna. With out a Buffalo chopper, I doubt I am going to get it into the fine enough paste, but that wont stope me! Bologna & a Pimento loaf!