options in hot climate

sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

options in hot climate

Post by sambal badjak » Fri Dec 29, 2023 07:59

I've been away for a while.
Moving & building house etc etc

Anyway, I want to start making sausages again, except I got a number of limitations.
Most important one is the temperature and temp control.
I run on solar and have not enough power to control temperature, esp at night (lack of batteries)
Temp high/low in summer: 40+ / 26 oC
In winter 25 / 10 oC

I assume the only option are fresh sausages?
Any other possibilities?
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
michi
User
User

Re: options in hot climate

Post by michi » Fri Dec 29, 2023 08:44

I'm in a similar climate in Queensland, Australia. I've made lots of fresh sausage, emulsified sausage, dry cured ham, salami, dry-aged beef and pork, and so on.

For some projects, I'm limited to winter. In particular, cold smoking is not such a good idea once the temperature goes above 20 ºC or so. But dried projects are totally possible in your fridge. I can recommend products such as the Dry Aging Steak Wraps from The Sausage Maker. Similar products are available from other manufacturers and suppliers. The wrap is a semipermeable membrane that slows down moisture loss so you can mature things in a normal fridge without them drying out too quickly and getting dry ring.

I've also used the salami tubes from UMAi and Misty Gully. That's the same material but in tube form. I've made a bunch of different salamis that way in my ordinary fridge, up to 70 mm diameter, and had good success. You won't get the same traditional look as with natural casings because the artificial membrane won't shrink as the sausage dries, and you cannot use white mould with it. But the results were good, no dry ring, and truly tasty salami.
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: options in hot climate

Post by sambal badjak » Fri Dec 29, 2023 09:17

Thanks,
Thanks Michi

I've heard of umai bags and researched them a bit when they just got out.. I had totally forgotten about them. Sounds like a good option for me here
Time to look at them again!

Meanwhile, I gotta look at canadian bacon, bacon and fresh sausages (and biltong)
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)