Beginning Slaughtering & Butchering Technique

HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Thu Mar 15, 2012 17:54

Hey Sendin'! I just remembered downloading this awesome little guide to growing potatoes which won a $100 prize back in 1868. It still sounds relevant to a non-potato grower like me.

Here's the link to the free download....something to take a look at in all your spare time! http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25905
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
sendin

Post by sendin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 02:04

I just wrote A LONG reply and I got logged out! Its gone!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 16, 2012 02:37

I really hate it when that happens! makes me consider going back to pencil and paper.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 04:25

Hi Folks,
If you have the newer Windows, there`s an easy solution. I receive and answer so many PM`s and emails each day, I HAVE to use the "library". I simply keep about a dozen blanks available in each library. (I put the icon in the taskbar.) I simply highlight an email, right click "copy", open a blank library page using the quick rotation device (hold down the Windows button with my left thumb (its between the "Ctrl" and the "Alt"), then push the "Tab" with my left middle finger. While holding down your thumb, click the "Tab" independently - once for each page. If you hold it down, it will rotate too quickly. This will find the project you are working on, (or a new blank page) in a hurry! Next I just "paste" the email and write an answer below it. When I`m done, I just highlight my answer, "copy" it and rotate back to the WD page where I can "paste" my answer. This is the ONLY way to go when you don`t want to lose any correspondence. If something happens, I can always go back and "copy" and "paste" it again if I have to. Only then, (after it has been sent) do I go back and delete the email from my "working page". I don`t know what I`d do without the "copy", "paste", and the file rotation features. I've even "customized" blank pages so I can enter the date, time, member, and whether it is an email or PM. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Mar 16, 2012 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 16, 2012 04:34

There is so doggone much to learn about computers that if I devoted myself to that I doubt I would have time for much else. But I don't need to know all about computers, just enough.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sendin

Post by sendin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 05:06

This time I am writing my reply elsewhere; copy, log-in, paste, send.

HamnCheese - The old potato book is right up my alley. Thanks for that. I will try to read it tonight or tomorrow night because Sat I am doing my Potato Growing Class for about 8 people. I might find some tid-bits in there that would be interesting. Last year I filled up two classes with 20 people in each class. Not even close this year. Must be the economy.

Butterbean -

I think I will do 2 pigs and all the processing and then do the other two. I think I will learn more that way and it will be a little less hectic. I think I will have my bro-in-law retired Safeway butcher help the 2nd day and have my cousin-in-law help on both days.
My cousin does not have experience, but he says he`s good with a knife and I believe him. Cousin is reliable when on site and bro-in-law would be too. Getting them here on the desired days might be an issue.

I do have a meat saw and used it when I helped my friends up north. The cut was straight and I might even split the heads on mine.

BTW there are some pretty good videos on youtube showing the method using the roofer`s propane torch for removing hair. That is the way it is done in Montenegro and I guess anywhere else water is scarce or where it is difficult to heat a lot of water.

OK here`s the complete list of stuff gathered for this adventure. I did this over the last few months as time and my budget would allow. I have the walk-in cooler that I use for the potatoes primarily, then two old freezers in the patio. I have a chain hoist in the barn, the meat saw and two big sinks (cold water only). In the barn I have a home made 2` x 4` butcher table with an old formica top. Then I have one of those white plastic cutting boards, butcher paper, paper dispenser, freezer tape, but no string yet (I guess anything clean will do). I have a Kitchener #12 meat grinder, Morton Salt, SEA 90 Salt, Cure #1 and Cure #2, meat syringe, powdered Marjoram and Garlic and home grown dried and ground peppers, digital thermometer, salinometer, 35mm hog casings, the home-made filing cabinet cold smoker, home-made cold smoke generator and a good start on making a load of chips by using my chainsaw on some harvested fruit wood, an aquarium air pump, digital scale, a bunch of new 5 gal buckets, one new 30 gal plastic trash can. I still need to build a frame in the cooler so I can hang the halves. Guns and knives from good ole days and I am sure I forgot something. The good ole days were a while back!

I did start to write down the "plan" - but it needs some work.

I will try to post that next along with some pics of the cooler, the red barn and the pigs and where they are enjoying their lavish short lives. Thanks again for all the help and advice - y`all are helping me to get my ducks in a row and it is appreciated. Denny
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 16, 2012 15:01

Denny, it sounds likte you are golden and I appreciate the tip about the roofing torch. I'm going to try that cause as I say, I'm still learning and open to suggestions.

I don't know what you are planning on doing with the meat but what I've been doing lately is to work prepare "city" hams. (I have enough country hams and proscuitto type hams to last me a few years)

To do this, I simply prepare a barrel of 70% brine using either salt peter or cure 2 along with canning salt and spices and syrup and dilute some of this down to a 40% rate and artery pump or stitch pump a 10% volume (on weight) into each ham and submerge in the tank that has been chilled in the cooler before the slaughter day. I also put the bellies in there as well. This will allow you lots of flexibility as you can either make city hams or dry cured hams by simply controlling the length of time in the brine. I've also tweeked things and have notes on how much brine to prepare in advance. I'll dig this out of my notes if you wish. I found it helpful.

There is one thing I would highly recommend and that is make yourself some dry cured coppa. This is wonderful stuff and as you are butchering the front shoulder you will notice a piece of meat on the top side of the front shoulder running horizontal to the backbone. From the top of the back you can look down about four inches or so and you can make out a seam in the meat. Cut along this seam and pull this muscle out and you will see its a roll type muscle with nice marbling in it. This can be cured for Coppa then stuffed into 100 mm collagen casing and dried. It will take a month or so to prepare but I guarantee its worth the trouble.

Here is a picture illustrating what I'm trying to put in words. The shoulder is on left, the rib area in the middle and the coppa meat is on the right. Its a beautiful cut of meat and the seams are just begging you to take it out for something special.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 17, 2012 00:55

Hi Guys,
Butterbean, you are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

One of the slickest presentations I`ve ever seen, has been provided free of charge to us by the University Of Nebraska in Lincoln, Nebraska. These folks share their technology. Be sure to check out the following website. http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/page ... mal&hs=Ham
When the page comes up, click on 3-D Rotation in the left column. Then move your cursor over the cut of meat you`ve selected. You won`t believe what`s next and how much it helps. Be sure to poke around and learn how to use the slides and rotations. You`ll be amazed at the technology here and refer to it often. Thanks Nebraska! Go "Cornhuskers"! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Mar 17, 2012 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sendin

Post by sendin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 03:39

Cool site! My pigs look nothing like that ... yet.

OK Here's the embarrassing part. The Grand Plan ...

Butcher sequence

Day before (Friday night)
Feed pigs smaller amount
Prepare 4 - 5 gal buckets of 60 SAL brine w/Cure #1
Set up propane roofer`s torch
Pallets out for butchered pigs next to barn
Set up Buckets for offal, gut, fat, heads (me)
String for ties (me)
Tarp barn floor (me)
Set up hose and pressure washer near barn door

Day 1 (Sat.)

Feed pigs (small amount - line up for shooting)
Shoot 1rst pig (me)
Drag pig out (me and Geoff)
Bleed 1rst pig (me)
Shoot 2nd pig (me)
Drag 2nd pig out (me and Geoff)
Bleed 2nd pig (me)
Drag 1rst and 2nd pigs to barn w/truck (me and Geoff)
Hose off (pressure wash?) both pigs and place on pallets (me and Geoff)
Torch hair 1rst pig (Geoff)
Scrub & clean 1rst pig (me and Geoff)
Set up hooks and gambrel on 1rst pig (me)
Cut and tie bung (me)
Hang 1rst pig (me and Geoff)
Cut and tie esophagus (me)
Remove gut (me)
Torch hair 2nd pig (Geoff)
Split 1rst pig (saw) (me w/Geoff holding)
Save liver, heart, lungs
Take out small intestines
Remove split head of 1rst pig and move to cooler (Geoff)
Hose & dry 1rst pig (Geoff)
Remove 1rst pig from gambrel (me and Geoff)
Cut and tie bung 2nd pig (me)
Hang 2nd pig (me and Geoff)
Move 1rst pig to cooler & hang over drip pan (me and Geoff)
Scrub & clean 2nd pig (me and Geoff)
Wash small intestines of 1rst pig (Geoff)
Cut and tie esophagus 2nd pig (me)
Remove gut 2nd pig (me)
Split (saw) 2nd pig (me)
Save liver, heart, lungs
Take out small intestines
Remove split head of 2nd pig and move to cooler (Geoff)
Remove 2nd pig from gambrel (me and Geoff)
Move 2nd pig to cooler & hang over drip pan (me and Geoff)
Wash small intestines of 2nd pig (me and Geoff)
Salt and store small intestines of 2nd pig (me and Geoff)
Clean up (tarp, buckets, saw)
Set up butcher table
Set up propane burner for hot water
Set up 4 buckets for 1 waste, sausage meat; 2 lean meat, 3 fat meat, and 4 hi collagen meat

So Day Two (Sunday) is going to be more challenging for me because I still have about 6 ideas for each part of the pig. Time to narrow it down I think and commit.

Sheez - thought I did that already when I bought them!

Was thinking about using the pressure washer on them after burning the hair off with the torch. Don't know about that. Seems like it might work really well.

Cheers and have a great weekend. Raining like crazy here finally. Denny
sendin

Post by sendin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 03:41

Butterbean - Are you in Huntsville? I shall PM I think.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 17, 2012 14:31

Sendin, separate the pigs before you shoot the first one. Pigs are smart and the second will probably know what's coming for him if he watches the first one killed.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Mar 17, 2012 17:09

I prepared a nice post and hit send and I was logged off. What's the timer set at on this site? 5 minutes?

Sendin, I'm in what's called the flatwoods of Georgia just west of the Okefenokee Swamp.

Sounds like a good plan. Pigs are amazing animals and smart too. I'm amazed at all their uses so I understand your dilema.

I think the pressure washer is a good idea. Scraping does a real nice job of cleaning the hide and leaving a nice clean white looking skin. I was wondering about the scorch method but I think the pressure washer will do the trick.

What are you planning on doing with the heads? If you are interested I can send you my grandmother's recipe for hog head stew. Stuff is amazing but like butchering hogs its an adventure best not rushed into but well worth the effort. In the day she would make a pot during the slaughter and since one pot will feed an army this is what was eaten and the leftovers were canned for later in the year. Oh, and her recipe calls for lots of potatoes. Stuff is outstanding. People try to copy it but very few can duplicate it.
sendin

Post by sendin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 02:25

I am going to use the propane roofer's torch first and then follow up with the pressure washer to remove burnt hair and skin. I think it will work. If not I will have some hot water and stiff brushes ready.

I am also going to follow the advice given by a pig farmer recently in a Yahoo group which kind of fits with my limited experience with hogs so far -

"I put a line of food down for the pigs to eat and position themselves for a good shot.
I also put it right by the gate, so it is easy to shoot, get in quickly to stick and remove pig from pen.
The other pigs don't even lift their head when their eating buddy is shot, rather amazing.
Eating right next to their buddy, their buddy drops and starts flailing if I'm not quick enough, me in there straddling pig for the stick ... and they don't even look! Num num num...
So, I wouldn't worry about the other pigs getting excited.

Like Jerry said, don't feed them a huge breakfast. Maybe wait until the butcher shows up, and then just put a line of treats to position them for the shot.

Good Luck!
You'll have some tasty eats!

Julie in NW Oregon"

I think trying to separating one out for a shot is going to cause more stress and alarm than just shooting one in a feed line up and dragging him out of the gate quickly for the stick. When they are eating they are in the 'zone' and I've only seen a few things break their concentration - granted, a shot from a 22 might one of those things that would do it.

Butterbean - I sent you an email/pm.
For the heads -
I was going to do a country head cheese thing based on the Marianski recipe, but I would like to see the recipe because I still have POTATOES ! ! !

Thanks - Denny
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Mar 18, 2012 05:51

From what I"ve seen is the only thing that gets upset with the killing of a herd mate are the bulls. Here are some steers I was fixing to slaughter and you can see the red one was more interested in the turnip than why his buddy had dropped to the ground. Had a bull ben in the pen with them this would have become very dangerous though. I think it has to do with the pecking order but I don't know for sure. But bulls get terribly upset and will stay that way for days. BTW - within a second or so of this picture being took the red one had joined his friend on the ground and the black one in the background finished off the same turnip and then shortly joined them as well.

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Mar 27, 2012 04:37

Speaking of metal bathtubs. Here is the latest modification to the operation.