Bacon far to salty.

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:45

Yes, Thank you for your suggestions, I cracked it. I have just had a rasher of amazing bacon. I am so chuffed after the pork flavored salt that I produced last time. I am not sure, but fate in the way of roster changes may have played a part.

Here is what I did:
Dry Rub:
1 kg of pork loin skin on.
30g salt (I used locally produced sea salt flakes)
2.88g of Cure number 1
3 ground bay leafs
1 tablespoon of pepper corns finely ground
1 tablespoon of raw sugar.

I ground all the dry mix ingredients (except the cure) together until it was as fine as the cure (this may or may not have made any difference). Mixed in the cure. Then I rubbed about a 1/4 of the mix on the rind. The rest into the other sides of the pork.

Day 1 Wednesday afternoon). The cure was applied.
Day 5 (Monday afternoon) I scrubbed the joint (? right word) and soaked it in very cold water for two hours. Then changed the water and soaked the bacon for another hour. I then had a call from work changed my roster. Patted the bacon dry and put it into the fridge.
Day 7 (Wednesday) After getting up I cold smoked the bacon for 3 hours (temperature outside was about 10 degrees C. inside my smoker was a few degrees warmer). The bacon cam out at 15 degrees C. In the mean time I heated my oven to 70 degrees C and placed the bacon in the oven (this was at 4pm). I set the alarm on my digital thermometer at 56 degrees C. The alarm went off at 8pm. I then placed the bacon in a bowl of cold water for an hour (an important phone call pushed it out this long). Patted it dry and then cut and fried a rasher.

I have learned many things. Certain things like the amount of cure number 1 used is very important, but most other things are very flexible.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26

Hi Markjass,
Glad to hear that you finally succeeded to produce the best bacon you have ever tasted.
I always skin my bacon and after the curing time is finished I also soak it for around 2 hours for smoking.
My curing recipe also includes 4 ground up cloves of garlic and some jumiper berries.
Regards,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 15, 2012 13:04

Congratulations on your success. One of the reasons for blending the cure with the rest of the salt and spice is for the ease of uniform distribution. Spreading a small spoonful of cure evenly over a large piece can be difficult at best.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 15:03

Nice work Markjass. Now, do it again! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:54

Have just made a second batch and it worked. Next time I will make a much larger amount. Once again thank you for all you comments. Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 17:38

Good goin' ol' pal! :wink: Keep it up.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D