Skin on of off when creating smoked Chicken

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Skin on of off when creating smoked Chicken

Post by markjass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46

I want to smoke some chicken. I have been reading around the subject on-line and the book and have a couple of things to check out. the book (Home Production of Quality . . . ) suggests 18 hours of curing ant then after poaching and drying to smoke the chicken. Ok. Now am I right to assume that the chicken skin is left on? I realize that the skin will maintain the shape (I am sure there is a better word), but wont it act as a barrier to the wet cure (again I realize that the brine will enter from the cavity within the chicken) Also wont the skin act as a barrier to smoke penetration?
Last edited by markjass on Tue Sep 18, 2012 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 18, 2012 15:47

Mark, I stray from the book when I am smoking poultry. I split the bird down the back and apply dry cure to both sides and put it in a zipper bag for a couple of days. My cure schedule is about 1.5 % salt and .25% prague powder.(6.25% sodium nitrite) some brown sugar or molassas and white sugar and some black pepper. I don't poach. I leave the skin on. Smoked turkey leg Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Sep 18, 2012 15:58

Ross,

That leg looks beautiful. May have to learn to like poultry again.
Rudy
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Sep 18, 2012 16:15

Mark, have to agree with skin on. Any heat will dry out the meat but the fat in the skin will keep it moist. Don't know if you have heard of beer can chicken down under. Take a can of beer, drink about 1/4, put it in the cavity after seasoning. Stand it up and as the beer boils, it adds moisture to the bird. Also, you can add flavoring to the beer and put a potato or onion in the butt to keep the steam in.
Here's a recipe.

Ingredients

1 (4-pound) whole chicken
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons of your favorite dry spice rub
1 can beer

Directions

Remove neck and giblets from chicken and discard. Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken lightly with oil then rub inside and out with salt, pepper and dry rub. Set aside.

Open beer can and take several gulps (make them big gulps so that the can is half full). Place beer can on a solid surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, plunk the bird cavity over the beer can. Transfer the bird-on-a-can to your grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can like a tripod.

Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat (i.e. no coals or burners on directly under the bird), with the grill cover on, for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs clear when stabbed with a sharp knife. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 18, 2012 16:27

Just one thing wrong with that recipe. Don't discard the giblets! cook them and make gravy.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 17:00

Nuynai you're right on the mark with that recipe. For those who haven't tried it, you've got a treat headed your way. You can't believe what a half a can of beer will do to that chicken. The science behind it is marvelous and the taste of the bird is sensational and if done correctly, just plain out of this world. It's the best possible way to cook smaller birds. I like to brine a bird a couple of hours before it squats on a beer can. It's also a great way to cook chicken for a party.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D