frankfurters

orf
User
User

Post by orf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 15:13

2 cups soy protein concentrate
4 tblspns. powdered dextrose

I wanted to try some hotdogs this weekend but don't have the above ingredients,can I make them without or use a substitute of somekind. Thanks orf...
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 15:33

one guy's opinion: Leave out the soy protein concentrate and substitute sugar for the dextrose. Youl'll be fine.

I leave out soy whenever I see it, with no negative results. Any type of sausage can do without filler. For many years soy protein concentrate did not exist and somehow people made great sausages.

I usually drop the sugar content as well, out of personal preference. Unless it is for a dry cured sausage, and then I go with exactly what is called for (including dextrose) because it is important to the fermentation.

Cheers,
Jeff
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 15:43

thanks jeff,is there an equivalent for the dex?
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 17:17

You can use table sugar. Since dextrose is only about 70% as sweet as sugar, use less sugar. Dextrose is less likely to scorch than sugar, so maybe that is why it is called for in a recipe for hot dogs, which are likely to be grilled. It is also very fine and mixes well with the meat. I like to grind the table sugar I use because then I get a nice powder that mixes just as well.
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 19:43

orf wrote:is there an equivalent for the dex?
Dextrose is glucose. Also called corn sugar (dextrose monohydrate) or grape sugar. It's readily available at home brewing supply stores. It's even sold by Amazon. :-)

If you want to use table sugar instead, you could dissolve it in water and add a bit of vinegar, then boil it. The acetic acid will break the table sugar (sucrose into its two component simple sugars: glucose and fructose, both of which will be readily fermentable. Boiling (with an acid) will not only hydrolyse the sucrose, it will drive off the volatile acetic acid.

BTW, the Corn Refiner's Association tried to get high fructose corn syrup to be officially renamed as corn sugar. Fortunately, the FDA rejected that attempt. Mind you, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with HFCS, other than its over-consumption.

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 21:12

they also tried for "liquid sugar" :evil:
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

frankfurters

Post by ursula » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:01

Orf, how did you go with your frankfurters?
I had another go today, and finally got them well emulsified with my new 1400 watt food processor. I only smoked them for an hour, and they don't smell that lovely smokey flavour, but the jury is out. The taste test will tell.
Did you get a fine texture, and are you smoking them?
Best wishes Ursula
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Sat Oct 27, 2012 13:55

we're suppose to be having a hurricane come inland so the hotdogs will have to wait. I haven't got any sheep casings left either . I'll keep you'se updated. orf...
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 23:04

sandy has came and went and I still haven't done the dogs.waiting on casings.I have a couple feet of collogen but have my heart set on 22-24mm sheep which I have to order.no one in my neck of the woods seems to have them. all the old butcher shops use cologen for their stix,funny.unless someone from ne pa knows where I can get um.orf...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 04, 2012 23:19

View figure 167 in this web site: http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ai407e/AI407E12.htm They show the texture of a meat emulsion made in a bowl cutter. I had no idea that meat could be milled to that consistancy.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 08:02

Hi Ross,
I have seen it made to a consistency of real thick cake batter. I can never get that with my food processor.
My next wish is to obtain a single phase table top bowlcutter, then I am set for live and perfect frankfurters, leberkaese etc etc etc.
Jan.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Tue Nov 06, 2012 01:29

Thank you Ross for that excellent article. A really good read. I think there are alot of great points in there that I can use. The process was so detailed and well-described. Excellent.
Ursula
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Sun Nov 11, 2012 22:49

just got done with my hot dogs.I did the recipe from the mother site. I made a smoke generator and used my propane set up from my turkey deepfryer. the temp control was really easy and the generator worked great.the dogs are delicious I made them 100% beef. If you want to see some pics of my set up ask and I'll post them.orf...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 11, 2012 23:10

without pictures it didn't happen. :lol:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 07:32

If you want to see some pics of my set up ask and I'll post them.orf...
Hey orf,
We're asking, we're asking! :mrgreen: Post em' buddy. Glad they turned out well. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Lots of folks don't realize that many of the recipes are available to us. Stan Marianski's are at this link: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes
and to find the Polish site index, click on the flag at the top of our homepage. This will bring up the Polish site of Wedliny Domowe. You'll need to either speak Polish or have a translator on your computer.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D