covered or not in fridge

orf
User
User

covered or not in fridge

Post by orf » Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:18

I just finished stuffing my keilbasa stix and am going to smoke them tomorow. should I leave them covered or uncovered in the fridge overnite.
? thanks orf...
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:24

Uncovered (to start developing the pellicle). :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Sat Oct 20, 2012 23:00

thanks
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Oct 20, 2012 23:09

As CW stated, uncovered they'll begin to dry & form that firm outer 'skin' (pellicle)-as refrigerators draw moisture OUT of exposed food.

One note about leaving your fresh kielbasa uncovered ( :shock:) is make sure you don't have any other permeable food or pastries exposed or they'll often take on some of the garlicky 'taste' from the sausages. I had that happen to an angel food cake that, after 12 hours of sharing space with some garlicky sausage, took on a rather 'unusual' taste.... :sad:

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 20, 2012 23:54

I have an enduring problem with cold sausages being brought out for smoking. They are always well below the dew point and no matter how dry they may be in the fridge they sweat like a glass of cold beer when brought out into the free air.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 21, 2012 06:50

Ross, bring them to room temp before placing in the smoker. An hour or two won't hurt the sausage. I often stuff my sausage in the evening, let it sit overnight at around 15C. and I swear that the flavour is more pronounced .
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Oct 22, 2012 03:41

NorCal Kid wrote:...or they'll often take on some of the garlicky 'taste' from the sausages.
Maybe that's why I like a lot of garlic in my food (including sausage). It is rarely overpowered by anything else while in the refrigerator.
...but there have been a few battles with "She Who Must Be Obeyed," I admit. (We call it "Duck Breath.")
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 04:56

You mean.... Are you saying.... What? ....
I thought angel food cake was supposed to taste like garlic! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Oct 22, 2012 05:59

I had a similar problem when I stored about 20 lbs of smoked pork bellies in a covered container in the same fridge as my daughter's birthday cake (thankfully after the party). The next day my wife got a piece of cake and commented that it tasty smoky. I got all excited and she said, "Calm down, not smoky in a good way!"

:mrgreen: