Checking measurements/weight of components

Doug
User
User

Checking measurements/weight of components

Post by Doug » Wed Feb 13, 2013 02:57

Hello All,

I am making my 3rd attempt at dry curing bacon. First attempt was like salty roast pork (I ate it anyway), Second attempt tasted like Ronson lighter fluid (lesson learned) It was a windy day and could not light my AMNS - so I squirted Ronson lighter fluid up front near the hole. Don't do dat.

My specific question (checking on myself) is; Rytek Kutas recipe for making Hony Bacon calls for 4 tb. of Insta Cure No. 1 . Should I weigh it? - my scale does not have tb. on her.
On previous attempts I used measuring spoon. Is that acceptable?

The recipe also calls for 1 cup salt. Is it OK to use a measuring cup? I did on my previous attempts. I used DC Kosher salt; 1 cup minus 4 tb. of salt (accounting for cure salt).

Also, I cold smoked both batches for about 8 to 11 hours.

And very diligently using "aseptic technique" on all phases of the recipe.

Thank you all for the suggestions-

Doug
Last edited by Doug on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Feb 13, 2013 03:02

Weigh everything for at least the first time so that you know what your spoons and cups dip out. Sometimes they are very accurate and sometimes not so great. Mr. Kutas seems to tend towards the salty side so you can adjust for that. The weight of salt and cure depend upon the weight of the meat of course so weigh also the meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:56

Hi Doug,
That crafty ol' Ross Hill is amazing. I call him " 'rong-way" because he spells his name backwards all the time. He wrote:
Weigh everything for at least the first time so that you know what your spoons and cups dip out.
That is fabulous advice because many measurements including cups (and divisions) differ in many countries. Even here in America, today's standard muffin tin is almost twice as large as it was just a century ago. Sure you can use measuring cups but it`s always best to weigh ingredients for accuracy and uniformity. Lots of folks don`t have a scale for grams, but if you`ve looked lately, there are many models at very reasonable prices.

Here`s one way of looking at the Cure #1 in Rytek`s recipe.
1 ounce of Cure #1 = 2 Tblspns.
We need 4 Tblspns. for the recipe - that's 2 ounces of Cure.
There are 3 teaspoons in one Tablespoon.
1/4 cup = 4 Tblspns. (that`s 12 LEVEL tspns.)
4 Tblspns. = 0.125 lbs
0.125 lbs. = 0.566 kgs.
0.566 kgs = 56.6 grams.

That seems like a very large amount of Cure #1 but remember most of it is washed down the drain after the meat "picks up" only 120 parts per million if you are using a pickle cure, or 200 parts per million if you are using the dry-cure method as this recipe indicates.

In dry-curing bacon, it`s easy to finish with a product that is way too salty. Ross is very much correct in saying ol` Rytek was a little heavy on the stuff. However, salt in the cells of meat accomplishes many tasks and people often make the mistake of reducing the content as they deem necessary. Some folks even reduce it to the point where it may be dangerous in that is the only protection against pathogenic bacteria until the meat is cured by the nitrite. At that point, it is safe to soak the meat to reduce some of the saltiness.

You can have a "reduced salt" product by dropping Rytek`s measurement to 3/4 cup and following his instructions. Only after the meat has been cured, should the belly be soaked to reduce any excess salt. Soak it an hour in cold water, change the water and soak it one more. Waterhorse the bacon and hang it to dry completely before smoking it.

One last thing, Rytek`s recipe is at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4979
There are some beautiful photos if you scroll down the page. Rytek's recipe is for "hot-smoking" and although the final IMT never goes over 128 degrees Fahrenheit, the increased temperature does serve to protect against many types of bacteria. When the bacon is cooked, it of course exceeds 138 degrees where any possibility of trichinella spiralis is destroyed.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Feb 13, 2013 16:39

Thanks, CW. ...good, thorough post (as always). What kind of paint chips do you stir into your coffee as sweetener, mornings?
...and is waterhorsing the same as waterboarding?
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 16:43

Doug,

A friendly heads-up.
That recipe of Rytek's is a bad recipe.
It calls for significantly more than the recommended safe level of nitrite.
You'd be better off using the standard rule of thumb, one level teaspoon of cure #1 per 5 lbs. of meat.
Godspeed!

Bob
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 13, 2013 18:15

I just reviewed the whole thread that CW provided the link for above. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4979

What a treasure trove of info on making bacon! It was difficult reading it since I have not had breakfast yet! And I'm also saddened by the fact that it's difficult to find decent pork belly in markets these days and when you do, you have to pay through your teeth for it.
Doug
User
User

Post by Doug » Thu Feb 14, 2013 04:19

Thank you CW. The link is precious... I will use your recipe next time around. I'm not sure what I'm cooking this time around. I used the recipe from his book. Thanks for the heads up. Redzed - I rubbed in the spices salt/cure - then the honey, maple syrup abut - 9 hours ago - I just rinsed it off and used more honey/maple syrup - stuck it back in the zip-lok bag and into the fridge - Hope there is sufficient cure/salt absorbed to get this side of pork turned into bacon.

Thank you,
Doug
Doug
User
User

correction

Post by Doug » Thu Feb 14, 2013 04:28

CORRECTION; THANK YOU BACONOLOGIST FOR THE HEADS UP.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Feb 14, 2013 07:14

I really like the honey bacon idea and used the concept but then my own measurements for cure, salt and honey. I've found that the prescribed amount of honey will get you a solid honey taste but you can still taste it at lower amounts (I've moved down approx 1.5 cups per full 8-9 lb belly). I salt at 3% by weight and use the federal guidelines for cure #1.
Doug
User
User

Honey/Maple syrup Bacon

Post by Doug » Thu Feb 14, 2013 20:23

Hello Jerbear

I did an overkill regarding salt/cure, which is why it did not bother me to rinse the bacon
after curing at 38F for 9 to 10 hours. I did about 10 to 12 times the cure the federal guidlines recommended and gross overkill on the salt. After pat drying the bacon I poured Honey and Maple syrup back onto the bacon and slopped it around in a zip lock bag. Today is day 2 and
about 1/3 of bacon is covered with the exudate already. I manhandle it 2 to 3 times a day.
and chant a little bacon prayer while manhandling it. (hear tell that works) A little begging goes a long way.

Thanks for your input.

Doug
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Feb 14, 2013 23:38

I had some abysmal failures when I started making bacon, lots of products that were wicked salty. My typical cure time with salt, cure #1 and honey is about 7-8 days, 1 day to dry, 1 day to smoke, 1 day to freeze, last day slice and seal. It's a long process but worth the time.