General Question On Recpie Books

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

General Question On Recpie Books

Post by Krakowska » Thu Apr 18, 2013 15:29

I have been using Rytek Kutas Great Sausage recipes for many years, the original 1984 edition. Works well for the simple things I do. Was thinking of buying Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley Marianski. Question is: Does this book only come in a soft cover, I'm so used to using the Kutas hard cover that I wish I could get this in a hard cover. The Kutas book probably has more meat, smoke and spices on in and in it and is double the original weight lol :mrgreen: Question 2: Is there a lot more info in the Marianski book. I'm always curious and just wondered You pros takes on this. (Put it this way, I'm outside here in Florida in winter, smoker going with the Kielbasa brewing, having a cool one, reading and learning. I need some more info lol)
Thanks my Friends, Fred :cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 15:56

Don't even think about it, just get on Amazon and order it. Can't see anyone making sausage and not having it. Your questions will be answered as soon as you get it.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 16:47

As helpful as I initially found the Kutas book to be, the Marianski book is my regular 'got-to' reference book for all things related to meat, meat production, sausages & smoking.

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Thu Apr 18, 2013 18:41

Fred,

Trust me, the Marianskis' book is THE bible of sausage making. My only complaint is that it tends to go kinda light on spices for the numerous recipes it has. What this book has that the Rytek one lacks is the details of various procedures, ingredients, cures, starter cultures, etc. Rytek's book has lots of recipes, that's for sure, but if you want to understand sausage making and dry curing, the Marianskis' book is the best.
Rudy
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu Apr 18, 2013 23:33

Yep, Thanks Fellas, Book is "On order" Thank You Very much. Fred :cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Apr 19, 2013 02:02

The strong points of the Marianskis' book are that it tells you the science behind why you should do something, and it shows you how to calculate the right amount of salt/cure.

Don't get me wrong- - I have both books, and use them both. IdaKraut is right on the Marianskis being "light" on spices, compared with Rytek Kutas and other published recipes. That's their taste, and the comment about "perfumes" says it all.

You've ordered the book. Read and enjoy it- - you'll find the "perfume" comment, plus a whole lot of other wisdom. ...and you'll be glad that you have both books.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 19, 2013 02:08

I can't say that I have ever wasted money on a book. Some are much more useful than others but they are all worth the $$$.
Ross- tightwad home cook