Online Workshop: Project B2 (October 2013)

pignout
Beginner
Beginner

Post by pignout » Thu Dec 12, 2013 00:56

Shuswap, Thanks for the heads up
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Re: b2

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:59

pignout wrote: My smoker has the ability to ramp so when a recipe says raise temp from 130 to 145 how many min. should that take.
Just short of two hours. You want to raise your smoker temperature only 2-3 degrees every 20 minutes when smoking sausage. Otherwise the fat will liquefy and separate leaving you a puddle on the bottom of your smoker and sausage that's so dry the family dog will need a bowl of water to get it down. Nice and slow until you reach a high smoker temp of 165°, then just watch your internal meat temp. Seems the only way to speed up the process is to water-bath poach after a couple of hours of smoking. Heck, there's no rush. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
pignout
Beginner
Beginner

b2

Post by pignout » Thu Dec 12, 2013 20:43

Thanks Ray, So would that be the problem with the separation? I finish most of my sausage in a water bath depending on casing
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 12, 2013 21:24

Well, if you poached your sausages stuffed into collagen, then that is the problem with the separation.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 12, 2013 21:33

Poaching non waterproof casings:

After smoking you can vac-seal the sausage and then poach.
Nothing gets wet and the smoke flavor is not lost.

you do have to poke a hole with your probe/thermometer towards the end...but the seepage of water is minimal
pignout
Beginner
Beginner

b2

Post by pignout » Thu Dec 12, 2013 22:14

My bad! Should have said so. I don't bath sausage stuffed in collagen casings I should have mentioned that but I appreciate the shout. I certainly could have lol. thanks,kevin
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

First Smoke a Bummer

Post by Shuswap » Sat Dec 14, 2013 05:46

Prepared the loins for my first smoke only to lose the flame in the burner. Put the unsmoked loins into the oven at 200° and slow cooked until reaching IT 150°. Made a bacon sandwich to taste and found it very tasty even though not smoked. Now to solve the mystery of the flameless burner.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Dec 14, 2013 15:51

All was not lost, good job of improvising. You'll get 'em next time. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Semi-Dry Cured Summer Sausage Recipe

Post by markjass » Sun Dec 15, 2013 06:09

Hi All

Just finished some Semi-Dry Cured Sausage Recipe. I have made some dry-cured fermentated sausages before (use cure #2, more salt and there is no heat treatment involved). I lowered the curing temperature to 23 degrees and fermentated the sausages for 68 hrs. The ph dropped to 4.7 in this time. A couple of questions.

Is the ph drop as important with summer sausages as it is with dry cured fermented sausages?

When I make cooked sausages (same process except no fermentation) I usually leave the sausages to bloom at room temperature for 2 hours before putting them in the fridge. Is blooming important in cured cooked sausages?
Do I need to bloom the Semi-Dry Cured Sausage?

I am planning to eat some of the sausages in three days. I have set my chamber at 70% humidity and 14 degrees C.
How long will the Semi-Dry Cured Sausage keep at 22-16° C (60-70° F), 65-75% humidity?

Thanks
Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sun Dec 15, 2013 09:54

Here is a picture of the sausages. The sausages are adaptions and combinations of different authours ideas and my own tastes.

They are left to right. Hungarian Csabaii (snagman and crustyo44), Crespone (Rulman and Poli) and Pepperoni (Marianski).
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
trucktramp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by trucktramp » Sun Dec 15, 2013 21:21

Like many others here I too am WAY BEHIND on my sausage making. Sometimes life gets in the way of a great hobby. I am pretty current on the reading so this is good. Plus I am drooling at the great pics of all the sausage everyone has made thus far. I have learned one important lesson during this journey. Be careful of who knows that you make sausage. Once others find out they will want you to make some for them. I don't know how many pounds of the breakfast and biscuit and gravy sausage I have made for coworkers. I suppose I could blame CW for the tasty recipes. I have some time this week so it may be more fresh sausage...maybe chorizo or something else. I just know that I will have the grinder out making something good.
I believe in moderation in everything...including moderation
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 06:38

Wow, good stuff guys! Don't stop now. When we get all caught up on the reading, there's another couple of topics to go through. We'll get into that just after Christmas. Got some neat projects coming up.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Tue Dec 17, 2013 09:07

Sounds good!
I'll be enjoying all kind of new equipment after christmas and am rearing to go!
Merry christmas everyone
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
pignout
Beginner
Beginner

b2

Post by pignout » Wed Dec 18, 2013 03:16

Looking forward to it CW. Will be caught with everything by christmas. Thanks for everything. Kevin
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Dec 18, 2013 19:53

Bob K wrote:Like Duk said almost frozen meat grinds best. I would also check the sharpness of your blades and plates and also that they are making good contact ( tight enough)
Just ground the meat for CW's Beer Brats. What an improvement! I trued up the plates and sharpened the cutter. I also tightened the plate and cutter on the grinder. I, mistakenly, was not tightening for fear of putting too much load on the grinder motor. Another newbie problem solved thanks to B2 :mrgreen: