Best Pastrami recipe?

ped
User
User

Best Pastrami recipe?

Post by ped » Tue Dec 10, 2013 19:21

Can anyone guide me towards either the best pastrami recipe here on the forum or elsewhere, I'm a Brit who wants to make it as authentic and tasty as possible (New York deli type I assume?), oh, and if you can throw in a fantastic Salt/Corned beef recipe that would be even better :), trying to make something different and tasty for Xmas

many thanks
Ped
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Dec 11, 2013 02:20

I think if you try this recipe you'll come out pretty darned happy, haven't heard of a CW bum steer yet. Now that I've found it I'm going to try it out myself. RAY

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4886
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
lrdeer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lrdeer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 09:02

I have been making Venison Pastrami for many years, the process I use is quite simple. First I brine the meat with an injecta mix which I buy locally, I only leave it in the fridge for 12 hours otherwise it can become salty. Remove the meat from the brine and wash under running cold water, pat dry with paper towel, The rub I use is:
2TBSP Paprika
1 1/2 TBSP ground corinader
1 1/2 TBSP brown sugar
1TBSP coarse ground black pepper
1TBSP Yellow mustard seeds
2 TBSP garlic Powder
Mix the rub together and rub into surface of the meat (use food gloves to avoid staining hands), wrap the meat in cling wrap and refrigerate overnight to absorb the rub, the next day I smoke the meat in a Weber until the internal temp. is around 152F (67c), the finished product will be very moist and quite rich to eat, slice it thin. I use a variety of woodchips that have been soaked in water overnight, Hickory is the favourite.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 04:39

Irdeer, you wrote:
the next day I smoke the meat in a Weber until the internal temp. is around 152F (67c), the finished product will be very moist and quite rich to eat,
It looks like a great recipe but it breaks the first rule of sausage making - "If it can't be cured, it can't be smoked". Wouldn't you like to add the correct amount of sodium nitrite to the recipe?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 12, 2013 22:02

Looks to me from the color of the meat that the Injecta mix contained cure #1 and was injected into the meat.???

That is a light color for venison what type was it?
lrdeer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lrdeer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 01:29

CW, the Injectamix I use already contains the cure, the mix is added to water and salt, I always add a little Maple Syrup for sweetness, the brine mix is a locally made product from Downunder.
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Fri Dec 13, 2013 16:57

Thanks guys.