Casing size to sausage type reference?

HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Fri May 09, 2014 14:14

Hey Tasso,

I liked your question and it made sense to me that there might be a chart or guide of some kind out there for us newbies. I found this interesting article:
http://www.aamp.com/documents/BasicsofC ... andout.pdf

At the end of the article are two references that might be resources for you:

International Natural Sausage Casing
Association (INSCA)
1518 K Street, N.W. Suite 503
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: 202 / 639-4670
Fax: 202 / 347-8847

and

Jay B. Wenther, Ph.D.
American Association of Meat Processors
One Meating Place
Elizabethtown, PA 17022

In other news, there is as International Natural Sausage Casing Association (INSCA)!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Fri May 09, 2014 21:23

Thank you, HamnCheese.

INSCA has a website too. http://www.insca.org/index.php/en/

It a trade association for the promotion of natural casings, it appears, headquartered in Alexandria, Egypt, and with members all over the world. Founded in 1965.

From their home page.
INSCA is the only international association for the natural sausage casing industry. Members include producers, suppliers and brokers of natural casing products. Additional membership categories are available to manufacturers of equipment used in the processing of natural casings, general animal by-products or any casings related fields as well as for national associations representing sausage casing companies.

INSCA offers a diversity of member nationalities, backgrounds, casings businesses and geographic locations. This diversity is the backbone of the synergy and emergence of ideas, innovations and progress in the casings industry. INSCA was established in 1965. The founding members were predominantly American companies. As the association evolved, new members from other countries helped change the global representation of INSCA. Today INSCA's membership includes a balance of European, North and South American, Asian, Middle Eastern, New Zealand, and Australian companies -- there is an INSCA member on every inhabited continent of the globe, including a total of more than 200 companies!

INSCA is governed by an eleven member Board of Directors elected by the membership of the association. The administrative functions of the association are handled by management professionals who maintain the organization's headquarters office in Alexandria, Egypt.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Fri May 09, 2014 21:31

ssorllih wrote:WE must either make the sausage fit the bread or the bread fit the sausage.
[url=http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... 9bdc7f.jpg]Image[/URL]
Very nice looking sausage, ssorllih. What type of 3.5 inch casing did you use? Fibrous, maybe? You said previously that you precooked it by baking, so I think a fibrous casing would work for that. Then you slice it and peel off the casing before further cooking, right?

I'd also like to know what grinding plate hole size you used to get that even marbling of meat and fat.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri May 09, 2014 22:32

Tasso, I cut the meat into 1 inch cubes and picked out 1/3 of it as very lean pieces. The rest I ground twice first very coarsely and then through a 1/8 inch plate. Before grinding I seasoned all of the meat with 2% salt .25% cure#1 and 1% brown sugar. After grinding I mixed the mince with the chunks until the chunks thawed. ( started with soft frozen meat)I stuffed fiber casings very tight. Smoked with cold smoke for several hours over beech wood and baked to finish in a 170°F oven.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sat May 10, 2014 01:04

Thank you Ross. I really like the idea of making a sausage that way for sandwiches. I thought you must have used a cure too, since the meat stayed pink.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 10, 2014 02:42

That is what I say in my post.
Ross- tightwad home cook