Project KB (For Beginners)

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 23:26

dabrjn,
Your CB looks marvelous. Great job! I just pulled a couple out of my smoker and they don't look half a good as yours. Wanna trade? :lol: Nice goin' pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
SalP
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SalP » Mon Sep 08, 2014 01:28

Nice looking CB, David.
dabrjn
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dabrjn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 01:32

Yee haw, CW. I'll trade with you any day!

david
graybeard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by graybeard » Mon Sep 08, 2014 13:05

Nice looking CB dabrjn. Just got back from Florida so I am a little behind, I have the CB brining right now and getting ready to make my own sausage today or tomorrow. Looking forward to see how that turns out.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Sep 08, 2014 14:27

Chuckwagon wrote:A post by a non-registered member was deleted here according to regulations of Project KB.
Good goin', CW. Enough sniping, already, folks. (You know who you are.) We're here to learn, not "sharpshoot" each other, and especially, not take pot shots at the leaders/moderators. If you're unhappy with the leadership, go somewhere else. If you can't contribute in a positive manner (which includes mistakes as well as successes), you don't belong here. ...especially in the KB thread.

Now, pass the Arbuckles, Chuckles, and let's all get on with the topic at hand. How's about sharing some of your "secret ingredient" items, folks? "Inquiring minds want to know." (...not "no"!)
Duk
:mrgreen:
P.S. Yee Haw! ...and why does this stupid iPad spelling corrector keep changing it to Eye Haw??? There's another one for the Inquiring Minds. ...Cupertino conspiracy?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:26

Graybeard wrote:
Nice looking CB dabrjn. Just got back from Florida so I am a little behind, I have the CB brining right now and getting ready to make my own sausage today or tomorrow. Looking forward to see how that turns out.
Go Greaybeard! Nice to hear from you. We're looking forward to seeing your projects. When you get that beautiful Canadian Bacon out of your smoker, please be sure to take a few pictures and post 'em right here.
Question... Have you ever made CB before or is this your first go 'round? Good luck pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
graybeard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by graybeard » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:37

This is my first go 'round with CB. I am looking forward to trying it out. It will be ready for the smoker on Thursday morning.
graybeard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by graybeard » Tue Sep 09, 2014 13:53

Yesterday is was able to make my fresh sausage so here it is.

Brooklyn's Jamaican Breakfast Sausage

pork butt 1000gr.
salt 20gr.
pepper 2 gr.
allspice 1.5gr.
cardamom 1gr.
coriander 1gr.
thyme 1gr.
water 100gr.

This recipe comes from a little girl named Brooklyn from Jamaica that just made it out of Port Royal in 1692 right be fore the big earthquake hit. She was picked up by a bunch of pirates and forced to cook for them on their voyages all over the Caribbean. She finely escaped from them after many years and made it to Florida. Now in some way out of the place areas down there still serve it to this day. When I was down there I was lucky enough to get the recipe for it.

Here is the meat partially frozen ready for the grinder

Here it is after grinding

All stuffed and ready to go

I made a small patty out of the meat left in the stuffer.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Sep 09, 2014 14:32

Here's my Canadian bacon. Sorry for being so late. ...been traveling.
This had two hours of apple wood smoke on it. The granular material is coarse-crushed pepper mix. Oops- - I guess I should have trimmed the non-uniform-looking portions, left-top and right-bottom. (...next time.) Time in the oven at 200 degF was nine hours. ...but boy, was it worth it!

This is really good! Beloved Spouse and I had some on an English muffin with an over-easy egg on top. Delicious. (It's been a long time.) We can't do the Hollandaise sauce bit, due to gluten sensitivity, but with that delicious CB taste, who cares?

The CB was barely pink when first sliced, but the pink color deepens with a little air exposure. This, I'm guessing, is due to the low level of nitrite. However, injecting the brine really paid off. The color is uniform throughout the meat.

...and now we have about a two-year supply of Canadian bacon! (We'll have to invite friends and family for brunch.)

THIS is what I enjoy about WD- - every time we do one of these projects, I learn a whole lot of new things. ...admittedly, some the hard way, but that's okay. (This one, however, was easy, and a real treat.)
Duk
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 22:10

Yikes! Both those projects look marvelous! Good going guys.
Graybeard, I can hardly wait to try Brooklyn's Jamaican Breakfast Sausage. It looks terrific and your links look very nice. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Say, did I ever tell you about the time that Whiplash McGillicuddy and I drove 50 of those vicious pirates back into the Yukon with nothing but bullwhips in our hands? It started snowing and .... well... that's another story... :oops:

Duckster, I think that great Canadian Bacon will disappear sooner than you think! You've just got to try one of my favorite tricks. Open one of those large 24 oz. cans of Bush's beans and add a half-teaspoon of liquid smoke and a tablespoon of brown sugar. Cube some of your Canadian Bacon into small dice just less than 1/4" and add it to the beans. Add just a shake of coarsely ground black pepper and bring the mixture to simmer. Yum!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
graybeard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by graybeard » Wed Sep 10, 2014 13:55

Very nice looking CB el Ducko! How is it with the apple wood smoke? I was wondering what type of wood would work best for smoking it. I was thinking of either apple or maple.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 14:16

To be honest, apple smoke isn't strong enough to bring much taste to the party after two hours. ...maybe four? That's what I would try next. However, with enough CB on hand, now, for a year or two for just Beloved Spouse and me, I plan to try apple on something else. ...say, a mild sausage of some type. ...any ideas? ...maybe one of those Bruce Aidelles "Apple and something" recipes?

My other problem- - I couldn't find any mapleline, and mail order would have delivered a twenty year supply, so I substituted the real stuff. As our ol' buddy CW says, don't substitute for ANYthing, not even real maple syrup, so without the concentrated flavor, it got lost. To quote Chuck Berry, "Oh, Mapleline... Why caint' cha be true? Ya done started back doin' thuh thangs ya used ta do." ...like being hard-to-find.

...hope yours turns out well. We certainly are enjoying mine. Keep us posted.
Duk
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Sep 10, 2014 14:55

Duk - great looking CB :!: I'm still not satisfied with my pepper coating - please share how you got so much to stay on the CB - I'm envious :shock:

Phil
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Wed Sep 10, 2014 15:22

I just picked up my piece of pork loin today. It look more like a slab of belly pork than the nice pieces shown here.
Luckily Duck's looks more like mine......

Should be able to put it in the cure tonite and then I have a couple of days to figure out why my proQ csg keeps going off.....
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 15:41

Shuswap wrote:
Duk - great looking CB :!: I'm still not satisfied with my pepper coating - please share how you got so much to stay on the CB - I'm envious :shock: Phil
That crazy redneck Duk uses Elmer's Carpenter Glue and a mallet! Don't be envious... be nervous - very, very, nervous! :shock: