Project KB (For Beginners)

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Aug 11, 2014 03:16

Chuckwagon wrote:We are going to inject 10% of the meat`s weight in brine so the next step is to weigh out 1 pound of brine. That`s 453.5 grams (16 ounces) of solution.
It wasn't stated outright, but just to clarify for everyone, we are starting with a 10 lb. piece of meat in his example, not 14 pounds. (See the info in CW's quote, above.)

The 14 lbs refers to...
Chuckwagon wrote:Generally, only hams of 14 pounds or less are selected for this type of water-cooked ham.
...guess our ol' buddy was salivatin', just thinking about the outcome. (...that, or he was jes' havin' a rough day.)

The next question that comes to mind is, "What is the nitrite concentration in the ham?" Well, that's a bit complicated. We can estimate it but, as you will see, salt takes up volume, just like water does, so your starting 1/2 gallon swells to approximately {1/2 gal}*(8.33 #/gal)*(454 gm/#) = 1890 gm water, plus an additional 60 grams cure #1 + 227 gm salt + (2/3 cup dextrose)* (236 ml/cup * 1 gm/ml) to get roughly 2335 grams of total brine. Converting back and forth between pounds and gallons, weights and volumes, is pretty tricky. Volumes are hard to estimate, so I've done this on a weight basis. To be more accurate, people use the brine tables. (Notice that the pounds of salt per gallon of water and per gallon of brine begin to diverge pretty rapidly.) What I outline here is only a rough estimate, but it serves to illustrate the thinking behind brining.

Assuming 10% of the meat weight is absorbed (injected), that 1 pound of liquid contains 454/2335 = 0.19 or 19% of the brine material. 19% of 60 grams of cure is about 12 grams. Since cure #1 is 0.0625 nitrite, the nitrite content of your ham is approximately 0.0625 * 12 grams/{10 lbs) * 454gm/lb} which is about 165 ppm. The bulk of the cure #1, over 80%, remains in the bulk brine and is thrown away.

Is this accurate? No, not really, because densities of powders like cure #1, salt, and dextrose vary considerably. (Don't forget that a powder has quite a bit of air in it). Also, meat most likely won't absorb exactly 10% of its weight in liquid. You must take into account what was injected by those greedy pork producers who might add up to 14% liquid, or not, and depending upon how lean the cut of meat is, absorption may be even higher. That's why stitch pumping is such a powerful technique: ham producers can make sure that the amount of cure added to the meat is fairly accurate, and that it is consistent.

So, my apologies for getting all mathematical on you. You don't really need to get this complicated. Just use tried-and-true recipes, and scale the amount to the amount of meat. As it turns out, the small amount absorbed works as a safety factor in your favor- - a wide range of excess brine can be used with very little impact on the amount of cure left in the meat, due to that 10% factor. 90% of what you add gets thrown away!

Confused? ...don't blame yourself. Instead, ignore all this claptrap and follow the recipe, scaling to the amount of meat used. ...and enjoy the fruit of your labors, a week or so down the road.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
spud
User
User

My lean Butt

Post by spud » Mon Aug 11, 2014 05:34

CW - have to confess up here.
Pork I will be using is not a Butt but a small leg half.
Bought 3 of the suckers going cheap and straight into freezer to await the start of this project.

So I was thinking for the recipe of 1kg of meat wouldnt it be best to trim the meat from fat, weigh that then add % fat if it is short of the normal 20% odd.

I know its assummed that we would be all using "Butts or Picnics" but as in my case, shes mean & lean on fat. :cry:

Rgds Spud
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:42

Spud, the flavor of pork products has very much to do with WHERE on the carcass the meat was taken from. For instance, the rear leg produces the product we know as ham. The belly makes bacon. "High on the hog" is the loin, while the shoulder is perfect for sausage because of the fat to lean ratio. However, many other fine sausages use meat from virtually everywhere on the piggy. This of course, produces the various flavors we enjoy. It has to do with the density of the meat and the oxygen supplied to it during the porkies growth. The dark red meat has been supplied with plenty of oxygen because the muscle was "worked" and active during life. The working muscles are also a little tougher than those that don't work so hard and become "fatty". Of course, in pork, the fat is where the flavor is. A nicely marbled and "fatty" piece of shoulder is just perfect for sausage. The front leg is known as the picnic and makes a terrific roasted leg of pork. The rear leg is ideal for making ham.

Do you wish you had some sort of guide? Maybe some graphics to help you understand the different cuts and their uses? Well, get ready for something incredible. Please click on the following link and discover one of the slickest presentations I`ve ever seen.
See the link here... http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/page ... mal&hs=Ham
Select the 3-D Rotation for some real fun. These graphics have been provided free of charge to us by the University Of Nebraska in Lincoln, Nebraska. These folks take their meats seriously and share their technology. Be sure to check out the following website too. I`ve got it set to come up on the ham page but I`m sure you`ll also wish to click on the home page as well. Move your cursor over the various diagram parts and words. Poke around and learn how to use the slides and rotations. You`ll be amazed at the technology here and you'll refer to it often. Thanks Nebraska!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Mon Aug 11, 2014 14:51

Chuckwagon wrote:Mix the meat with all the ingredients, including the water, and then stuff the mixture into 22-26 mm sheep casings or 28-30 mm hog casings.
CW, since this is a learning experience can you comment on the procedure of mixing the ingredients after the grind as compared with mixing the ingredients with the chopped meat and then grinding. Recently I've been reading a few threads here that follow the latter steps.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 18:04

I will be picking up some pork butts on Wed over here and be giving the breakfast sausage recipe a go. I'll be sure to post pictures and comments on the process. Everyone be sure to post pictures and comments as well. It's more fun that way :mrgreen:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Mon Aug 11, 2014 18:48

rgauthier20420 wrote:I will be picking up some pork butts on Wed over here
Didn't Carl Sandburg call Chicago the "hog butcher for the world"? Should be easy to get pork butts in the Windy City, eh!
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 20:55

Shuswap wrote:
rgauthier20420 wrote:I will be picking up some pork butts on Wed over here
Didn't Carl Sandburg call Chicago the "hog butcher for the world"? Should be easy to get pork butts in the Windy City, eh!
We do have some nice pork butts walking around here.... :twisted:

The local Aldi just happens to have them as they 8/13 special fresh meat buy for $1.89 a lb! I'm going to call the one right here by the office to make sure they're on the list to put these out, and I'm gonna go pick some up in the AM.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Aug 11, 2014 22:12

A year ago ago I would have thought 1.89 lb was high for pork butts (i was paying 1.39)....I just got some for 2.39 and it was a bargain. Pork loins however are at 1.99 so go figure!!
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 23:29

2.49 is a deal for pork but up here in NH .
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Tue Aug 12, 2014 00:43

On the breakfast sausage. The sage should be rubbed sage, almost positive. I used ground once and it was to strong. I also use this stainless gizmo to flush the casings. Used three stainless rods, weld the ends spread apart and buff.

trucktramp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by trucktramp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 02:25

Hey CW, thanks for posting your ham recipe. I can't wait to try it. I have one of those huge ice chests sitting in my living room full of ice and two bags of what I can only assume are hams and bellies. I guess I have my work cut out for me in the next few days. Things have been busy here. I've been running around like a duck...err...ah chicken with my head cut off. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I do have a question before I start. Do I need to remove the skin and trim the fat before I put it in the pickle or just blaze forward and start? My plan is to smoke one and just make the other like the recipe shows.
I believe in moderation in everything...including moderation
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 05:50

Shuswap wrote:
CW, since this is a learning experience - can you comment on the procedure of mixing the ingredients after the grind as compared with mixing the ingredients with the chopped meat and then grinding. Recently I've been reading a few threads here that follow the latter steps.
In good time Swap Shoe! The process of making sausage can be done in less than an hour... however, we can spend months figuring out what we`ve done and why we did it. There are so many facets to the hobby that we must consider one at a time. Shucks pal, it seems like we abandon a topic or two while we do it. Eventually, we get around to all the processes that go into sausage making and try to make sense of it all. When we finally get to the point where we`ve ground it perfectly, stuffed and cased it flawlessly, smoked and cooked it faultlessly (or not), we can sit back and talk about it with others. Then we repeat the procedure all over again and learn from our mistakes and experiences. We eventually learn that HOW we make sausage is actually just as essential as what we put into the product. For example, we know that sausages are NOT made of random, left-overs, and "junk" meat. Not at all. It is however, made of prime shoulder called "butt". Old Rytek used to say, "junk meat makes junk sausage"! And he was right. So... if we finally learn the rules of the processing of sausage and follow those rules exclusively, we can`t help but make a superior product.

I`ve found over the years, that most beginning sausage makers believe they can "fudge" on the rules just a little. They think that they can make it "their own" way. When things don`t work and their sausage turns out like sawdust, these hubristic folks often quit, blaming the original recipe for their failure. The patient people who study and learn the rules... the unpretentious people who follow those rules... the persistent folks who don`t "fudge" or cheat on the recipe.... THEY are the folks who succeed. They make sausage that has been tested for centuries! They make sausage that has been time-tested by millions of people down through time. I`ve gathered some of those rules together in a list. I`m going to post it here. Let`s have a look at it and discuss any questions you may have.

Shuswap, I feel (and the Duk does too), that you and the Trucktramp will be a couple of those folks who succeed with this craft because you are interested in depth. (Mike the "Grasshopper" has already passed the last course!) He's an "ace". :lol:

Your questions are welcome and they are vital to understanding the process. Please remember how many "facets" this hobby has. Allow me to present it to you in sections that we can put together in a final product. Have some patience my friend and we`ll get all the information posted and available to you. A few months from now, you`ll be making better sausage than you can buy in any supermarket. You`ll be making a sausage that rivals Jimmy Dean or Hickory Hill. Stick with the project pal. We`ll get there!

Trucktramp asked:
I do have a question before I start. Do I need to remove the skin and trim the fat before I put it in the pickle or just blaze forward and start? My plan is to smoke one and just make the other like the recipe shows.
Blaze forward and start! Inject the piggy in lots of places with the brine. Down the side of the bone and into the hard to reach places. Give that porky lots of short shots! The skin will protect the meat and the fat will lend flavor. However, remember that fat cannot be "cured". Don`t try to inject it. We`ll talk about that later on. Right now, weigh the entire piece before you start. Move the decimal point and find ten percent of its weight. Weigh out that much brine (10% of the weight of the pork) and inject that brine in "short shots". You`ll do fine pal. You`ll have sweet ham in no time at all. Remember to refrigerate the thing!

Grasshopper wrote:
I also use this stainless gizmo to flush the casings. Used three stainless rods, weld the ends spread apart and buff.
Mike, that is ingenious! Should be patented. That thing could save hours and hours in prep time! :wink: Nice goin' pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Aug 16, 2014 20:31, edited 3 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Tue Aug 12, 2014 05:58

Thanks CW for the very interesting technical tutorial of Miss Piggy.
Have to say we here in, dear I say "a quite technical area" are really inpressed with that site.
A lot of thoughts and ideas came together to produce that pictorial.
Good on ya University Of Nebraska.

U have convinced me that my lean & mean purchases arent up to scratch.
I will sourse with your advice in mind. :lol:

So for me, in the future when I see a Recipe that doesnt list Fat as an ingredient it would be expectant of me to think that "Butt" is the product to use & if more Fat was required it would have told me so. :oops: OK have that stencelled to the forehead.

Ok on me bike out of here..
Spud
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 06:24

Spud ol' bud,
You'll be fine pard. You've got the recipe for success also. Hey, I've got to tell you where the word "butt" came from. In colonial America, in Boston, Massachusetts, butchers would pack barrels full of pork shoulder to be placed into the holds of ships bound for England. The pork barrels, full of pork shoulder cuts, were called "Boston butts". Thus, pork shoulder came to be known as "pork butt". There is a joke (about 300 years old now)... "do you think those guys in Boston know their shoulders from their butts?" :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 06:27

Chuckwagon's 32 Sausage Making Tips To Save You Grief

1. Always use good meat to make good sausage. If you toss junky meat into the hopper, you`ll have junky sausage to contend with. Good Boston Butt (pork shoulder) is the first choice for sausage making. Incidentally, have you ever wondered why pork shoulder is called "Boston butt"? Meat cutters in the eighteenth century seaport Boston, Massachusetts, packed cuts of pork shoulder into wooden casks called "butts" to be placed aboard ships... which brings up the question, " Do folks in Boston know their shoulders from their butts? :wink:

2. The meat MUST be kept as cold as possible throughout the entire mincing, mixing, and stuffing process. I cannot stress this point enough as is it will inhibit bacterial growth. Place the grinder blade and plate into the freezer 20 minutes ahead of time. If the plate and knife heat up, it can affect the mixture in all sorts of ways. Don't be afraid to add a little softened crushed ice chips now and then, but never try to grind hard-frozen ice cubes with your grinder.

3. Work with small batches of meat at a time and never miss an opportunity to refrigerate the meat at any time during the process.

4. Always cut the meat into chunks about an inch in size before they go into the grinder. This prevents long strands of sinew from wrapping around the auger, binding it down. When this happens, the meat is usually pushed through the die and is torn rather than being cleanly incised.

5. Freeze fat before putting it into the grinder to prevent "smearing". Meat should be nearly frozen to prevent "mushing".

6. Freezing ruptures meat cells as ice crystals expand. When the meat is thawed, it exudes a mixture of proteins, minerals, blood, water, collagen, and other meat juices we view as simply blood. This liquid should be saved and added to the sausage. Quick freezing produces less rupturing of meat cells.

7. Avoid using beef fat in sausage as well as the fat of wild game. Beef fat is yellow and the taste is inferior to that of pork fat. Also, avoid the fat of sheep or goats unless specified in a particular ethnic sausage.

8. The most important reason for not stuffing casings as the meat leaves the grinder, is that minced meat needs to develop myocin and actin, (proteins) that makes a sticky "meat paste". This is done either by hand or by using a mixer, but must be done in order to have proper texture in sausage. An investment in a vertical, geared, stuffer will keep you sane and made short work of stuffing casings.

9. The texture of sausage may be improved by freezing the fat then cutting it into larger dice by hand, rather than passing it through a grinder. The frozen fat is then folded gently by hand, into the primary bind.

10. Sausage must contain salt for a variety of reasons. Never reduce the amount of salt in a sausage recipe without professional advice. How much salt is needed in sausage? About 2% in fresh type sausage or 2 grams per 100 grams of meat. However, 2% used in fresh sausage, is simply not high enough for safety in a fermented "dry-cured" sausage requiring up to 3%. Dry-cured sausages without starter cultures (called "traditional" sausage), require even more... anywhere from 3 to 3.5%. Four to five per cent salt is unpalatable.

11. Follow recipe directions precisely. Observe established rules in method, procedure, and technique. You cannot make your own rules in sausagemaking and expect them to work. In other words, you cannot "fudge" on established, time-honored, and proven sausagemaking regulations. The inexorable rules in place in the sausagemaking world today are the summation of knowledge throughout centuries of world history. Most people who substitute ingredients, alter the technique, or alter the recipe, have a disaster for an end product. Nearly all of these people will blame the recipe.

12. Good sausage contains 20 to 25% fat. Fat lubricates the meat and gives it flavor. It also serves as a binder and although the content may be lowered, without it, a sausage`s texture becomes almost unpalatable.

13. Make sure the grinder blade is not on backwards. It must be pressed up against the plate with just a little pressure. You should be able to adjust the pressure as you detect just the slightest bit of resistance on the machine.

14. Never attempt to sharpen the flat side (plate side) of the blade. The contact surfaces must remain flat within a few thousandths of an inch. (Think of the two "flat contact sides" of a scissors. A cutler never touches them. He does however, grind the beveled edges to sharpen them.

15. After grinding, add the cure mixed in a little water for even distribution. Mix the spices and cure into the meat and continue mixing until the myosin develops a sticky meat paste.

16. Always use sterilized (prepared) spices in sausage. Non-sterile fresh spices and herbs from your garden may contain various bacteria from the soil and can spoil a batch of sausage within hours.

17. The purchase of an electronic scale is a solid investment you`ll never regret. Use it for precisely measuring salt, cures, and ingredients of all types.

18. To get the last bit of sausage out of the grinder, put a slice of bread down the hopper and continue grinding until the meat has cleared the plate.

19. If you use wine in sausage, be sure it is not a fruity sweet wine, and then limit the amount used. More is not better; too much wine makes the texture crumbly because it denatures the proteins, including the very importatnt binders actin and myocin. Please use only "dry" wine. The best way to add it is using an atomizing "spritzer" to spray it in while it is very cold during the mixing step.

20. Always preheat the empty smokehouse, add the sausage, then raise the temperature gradually - only a few degrees at a time at twenty or thirty minute intervals over several hours. I have yet to meet a sausage maker who didn`t ruin his first batch by cooking it too quickly. If the fat "breaks" (melts) and grease runs out onto the bottom of the smoker, you may as well toss the batch and start again. Cooked too quickly or too much, it is impossible to salvage.

21. Trichinella Spiralis is destroyed at 138°F. (59°C.). Prep-cooked sausages such as "brown n` serve" are often cooked to the temperature of 148°F. (64°C.) for later heating to a final serving temperature of around 155°F. (68°C.). Sausages smoke-cooked to this temperature are guarded against most spoilage and pathogenic bacteria including salmonella, listeria monocytogenes, and toxoplasma - responsible for 1,500 deaths annually. However, it is critical that internal meat temperatures above 168° F. (76° C.) in "smoked-cooked sausages" be avoided as fat starts breaking (melting) at this point and will melt in pockets inside the sausage, eventually running out of the sausage. If this occurs, the sausage's texture will invariably replicate sawdust! You may as well throw it out and start again from scratch. And don't feed it to your dog! He deserves better. During prep-cooking, always heat and smoke sausages "low n` slow

22. Always use non-iodized salt in sausage making. Iodized salt leaves a metallic taste behind.

23. After grinding, add the cure - mixed into a little water or cold stock - for even distribution throughout the meat.

24. Having ground meat for sausage, we must remember the simple task of developing a "sticky meat paste" that sausage makers refer to as the "primary bind". Cold meat (just above the freezing point) must be mixed and kneaded well enough to develop the proteins myosin and actin. As this occurs, the mass will become sticky and develop soft peaks when pulled apart. The proper development of myosin and actin is critical for good texture in the finished product, although the meat should never be overly-mixed, as this may result in the sausage becoming "rubbery" in texture.

25. It is a good idea to develop the primary bind before vinegar, tomato, or any highly acidic food are added. In chorizo, blend in vinegar, but do not over-develop the mixture. Too much vinegar in the recipe will denature proteins and create other problems.

26. If you are making a "semi-dry cured" sausage that requires prep-cooking to an internal temperature of 150°; F. (66°;C.), be aware that cooking in an oven with slightly lower heat, will cause a sausage to dry out more as it cooks longer.

27. If you have used vacuum sealing bags, you`ve probably experienced smashing sausages that have lost their shape. A simple solution is to place them into a deep freezer an hour before placing them into vacuum sealed plastic bags for longer storage. The quicker the meat is frozen, the smaller the ice crystals will be which will rupture meat cells affecting the texture of the sausage.

28. If your emulsified hot dogs and sausages are tough or rubbery in texture, you may be over-extracting the actomyosin myofibrillar proteins. In other words, you may be mixing the sausage a little too much, especially with the addition of salt or water. This elasticity may also be perceived as toughness or stiffness in texture. Most often an "insufficient amount of water" is bound to receive the blame for this elasticity or toughness when it is not.

29. Grind fresh black pepper just before it goes into the sausage. Use a coarse "butcher`s grind" for fresher aroma and better taste. Store bought pre-ground pepper has lost its taste. Leave it on the shelf and grind your own peppercorns for great tasting sausage.

30. Collagen casings cannot be linked by twisting them. They must be tied off using string, or simply cut to length using scissors if using smaller diameter casings like those for breakfast sausages.

31. Avoid air pockets in sausages by firmly packing the meat into the stuffer using your fist. Make certain the pressure relief valve is working properly. Trapped air pockets in casings are pierced deeply with a needle in several places immediately following stuffing.

32. Moisten hardwood sawdust well ahead of burning time, and do not soak it to the point it is dripping wet. Turn the hot plate to high until smoldering begins, then turn the heat down until it only produces constant but very little smoke. Moistened wood is not as acrid. Smoke penetrates meat much faster at higher temperatures. A case in point may be a sausage perfectly smoked at 120° F (50° C) for 4 hours. The same sausage may acquire a bitter, over-smoked flavor if smoked at 250° F (120° C) for the same length of time.

Best Wishes, :smile:
Chuckwagon