What's In YOUR Polish Kielbasa?

redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 05, 2014 17:45

Chuckwagon wrote:Why are we here? On March 11th, 2006, Stan Marianski wrote:

"The aim of our web site is to make meat products and sausages the traditional way without any binders, fillers, fat replacers, soy protein concentrates, phosphates etc. All our Polish sausage recipes come from 1958 Government archives and at that time we used only meat, salt, pepper, spices and nitrate for curing. The era of those great meats and sausages is gone in Poland and elsewhere in Europe, Germany included. We try to preserve the traditional art of making meats and we try to stay away from any kind of chemicals. If we were a meat processing plant we will have to use them to stay alive in the market, but we do it for ourselves so we try to make products of the highest possible quality."

Gosh Stan, That just about sums it all up. Thank you from a multitude of sausage-loving folks everywhere!
Exactly! I once counted 27 different ingredients in a supermarket sausage that was fraudulently named Polska Kielbasa.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 23:02

I guess I shouldn't have asked about soy protein concentrate! SORRY!!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 06, 2014 00:00

cogboy wrote:I guess I shouldn't have asked about soy protein concentrate! SORRY!!
Hey, nothing wrong with soy protein used in some some sausages. It helps to hold the meat together and keeps the sausage moist. I always have it on hand an use it when appropriate since I make not only "traditional" sausages. Stan's point is that you can make a fine sausage without all the additives, many of which are used by the meat industry to cut costs and extend the shelf life of the product. Next time you are at WalMart, take a look at the ingredients in their sausages.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 06, 2014 06:51

Gee, all of a sudden a new thread! All right, I'll bite!

Take a look at this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eckrich-Polsk ... z/20934695

Can anyone enlighten me as to which region of Poland this sausage [sic] comes from?
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Wed Aug 06, 2014 07:35

All corners of the globe by the looks of it ! I wouldn't even know what half that stuff is lol

All i ever use apart from pork is salt, pepper, garlic, marjoram and if smoked cure #1
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 09:49

Red,
I bet that this Polish Sausage has it's fair share of "pink slime" in it. Completely legal in the EU due to it being 100% animal tissue.
From what I have heard from the horses mouth in The Netherlands, this pink concoction is in big demand by sausage making conglomerates.
It's derived from super high pressure water blasting of all the animal bones from the days slaughter and than treated with certain chemicals for colour, smell etc. etc.
The only left overs are the BARE!!! bones themselves which are crushed,ground, bagged and sold.
Cheers,
Jan.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:43

That sausage looked delicious ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:11

Yup, the stuff looks a little "hinky" to me! And it contains yummy additives such as Sodium Diacetate (also called Sodium hydrogen acetate and Sodium acid acetate) and its formula is written like this: NaH(C²Hm3O²)². It gives food a "vinegar-and-salt" flavor and enhances the acid in acetic acid. It is a solid without color and placed in seasonings as an anti-microbial agent. What's wrong with good ol' vinegar and salt? It's more expensive! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:32

crustyo44 wrote:It's derived from super high pressure water blasting of all the animal bones from the days slaughter
Maybe that's what they mean on the label "mechanically separated" chicken and turkey
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 06, 2014 19:19

I have a fundamental rule about commercial food preparations. If I can not buy all of the ingredients in the preparation in the grocery store I don't buy the product.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 10, 2014 04:03

Here is another one. If that stuff they are peddling as Kielbasa Polska, then Barack Obama's birth certificate can be found in Warsaw! (Don't tell Rush Limbaugh)
http://www.silverstarmeats.com/products ... a_Kielbasa
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 02, 2014 16:14

Another entry into the journals of the Sausage Police. :grin:

An acquintance bought these Johnsonville Kielbasa links and I had two bites of it. It tasted like a piece of sweet salty rubber.

http://www.johnsonville.com/products/po ... lbasa.html

Look at the ingredients and tell me which Polish sausage asks for corn syrup, potassium lactate, monosodium glutamate, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate?

I feel sorry for the people that buy and eat this chemical potpourri thinking that it's Polish sausage. :cry:
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 17:02

Knowing how much I love Andouille, My other half brought home 3 packs of Johnsonville's new andouille product. Now she meant well so I had to let her figure it out, but if I was to serve that to my family & friends in Louisiana I would be laughed out of the state. Their andouille is nothing more than big hot dogs. :cry:
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 23:38

Darwin wrote:Knowing how much I love Andouille, My other half brought home 3 packs of Johnsonville's new andouille product. Now she meant well so I had to let her figure it out, but if I was to serve that to my family & friends in Louisiana I would be laughed out of the state. Their andouille is nothing more than big hot dogs. :cry:
You would have some "Rajun Cajuns" after you if you served that stuff ! :smile:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 01:15

Cogboy, have you ever seen a Rhinocerahorse? They are certainly a horse of a different color... because they are half rhinoceros. And it`s not because a horse and a rhinoceros decided to "mate" one day. No, no, no... It is because of two different stampedes here in the west, both at the same time. You see, some ol` time cowboy was sittin` around his campfire drinkin` beer and eatin` beans. Well, nature took its revenge on his gluttony by calling for "relief" in two different ways. The "earthquake factor" plus his simultaneous belch, simply produced a ten-second roar above 295 decibels! A nearby herd of horses stampeded northward, while a local herd of rhinocerosesesesesszzz became startled and stampeded southward. Many animals ran smack dab into each other... some at such a speed as to combine their molecules when colliding. In the west, this became known as the "super collider" of Arizona, and in fact, the action continues to this day, where modern cowpokes may pick up a "rhinocerahorse" of their preference simply by paying a few more dollars and adjusting their saddles! Today`s modern rhinocerahorse, of course, stomps out campfires by repetitively jumping straight in the air on all fours, as well as climbing trees - a mighty handy talent when one of our western flash-floods comes a` roarin` down the canyon! Cogboy, if you just can`t locate any rhinocerahorse meat, go ahead and use pork butt.

"Rhinocerahorse Andouille"
Garlic Cajun Sausage

9-1/2 lbs. fatty pork butt
1/2 lb. pork fat
2 level tspns. Prague Powder #1
2 cups soy protein concentrate
4 tblspns. salt
Six cloves of garlic
1 cup onions (diced)
1 tblspn. paprika
1 tblspn. sugar
2 tblspns. frehly cracked black pepper
1 tspn. cayenne pepper
1 tblspn. dried thyme
1 tspn. sage
1/2 tspn. mace
1/2 cup flat lager beer to adjust consistency

Proper Cajun-style andouille may be so coarsely ground the grain of the meat may be seen in the final product. This particular recipe skips the usual cloves, mace, and allspice incorporating more... you`ve guessed it - garlic! Shucks, don`t even bother peeling or chopping the garlic. Simply drop it into the grinder`s hopper in whole cloves and grind it with the meat. Be sure to grind the pork coarsely. It`s best ground through a 1/2" plate then mixed thoroughly with the seasoning. Mix the Prague Powder #1 with a little flat lager beer (or a little water) and distribute it thoroughly throughout the meat. Mix the meat well until a sticky "meat paste" is formed. Stuff the sausage into large 38-42 mm. hog casings.

Hang the stuffed sausage on sticks at room temperature to dry for an hour. Next, space the sausages, as to not touch one another, inside a 130-degree pre-heated smokehouse with the damper wide open to further dry them. Close the damper to 1/4 open and use your choice of moistened sawdust to introduce smoke. It`s always a good idea to use a heat diffuser to promote indirect heat, and a drip pan to avoid flare-ups. After an hour, gradually, only a few degrees at a time, raise the smokehouse temperature to 165 degrees over the period of several hours. Insert a probe-type internal meat thermometer and remove the smoked sausages when the internal meat temperature reaches 150° Fahrenheit. Note that the smokehouse temperature should never exceed 170°F. Immediately shower the sausage with cold water and refrigerate the sausages.

Hastening the procedure by introducing more heat to the smokehouse will only shrink the sausages, dripping grease all over the floor of your smoker, and will produce a dry, wrinkled product resembling sawdust! Slow smoking produces moist, tender, sausage, having skins delivering that special "bite". Although this product has been cured, it is perishable and should remain refrigerated.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D