Can someone clear this up for me

redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 11, 2014 01:27

Butterbean wrote:Speaking of bellies, you might want to look around and price some now. Cheapest I've bought them in a long time. Corn is cheap this year.
Pork prices in Canada are considerably more expensive than in the US. At the end of the month we are heading to Arizona for a couple of months. I will be taking along a couple of large ice chests to bring home some low cost Yankee pork. :lol:
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 02:01

redzed wrote:
Butterbean wrote:Speaking of bellies, you might want to look around and price some now. Cheapest I've bought them in a long time. Corn is cheap this year.
Pork prices in Canada are considerably more expensive than in the US. At the end of the month we are heading to Arizona for a couple of months. I will be taking along a couple of large ice chests to bring home some low cost Yankee pork. :lol:
On your way back drop on by my place and I would be very happy to lighten your load :)
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 11, 2014 04:57

Devo wrote:On your way back drop on by my place and I would be very happy to lighten your load :)
Yeah, I'd be happy to but the detour to your place would add about 6,000km to my return trip. She's a big country my friend! :lol:
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Nov 11, 2014 05:17

In general pork is reasonably cheap in NZ. Pork belly was so cheap, but then it became trendy. Lamb is ridiculously expensive here considering how much farmers get paid for it. Lamb shanks use to be very cheap, but as they became more trendy in cook books and on TV shows the price went up. Lamb flaps, known more formally as breast of lamb is cheap. I have noticed that recipes using it are becoming more common online. I hope that the food shows on TV continue to ignore it, otherwise its cost will rocket.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 06:54

Hi Mark,
Lamb flaps can be bought here by the bucket load. Cheap as chips as nobody buys them apart from all the Islanders here.
No wonder they have serious health problems and are 6 ft across the rear end.
I used to buy lamb shanks for my dogs, now it's a luxury food and twice the price as a leg of lamb. Go figure.
Cheers,
Jan.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:36

redzed wrote:
Am surprised the low corn prices haven't driven your costs of pork down as well. Corn was really high last year and bellies went through the roof. Bone -in bellies I got last week were $2/lb which was considerably less than the last I got. I think this time last year they were around $3.50/lb.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Nov 11, 2014 21:31

FYI to westerners - Cash and Carry is selling whole lambs for 3.29 lb. Yes, you have to cut them up, but it's a great learning experience. :smile: You need a meat saw for the bones. They're not too expensive.

Frozen rind on bellies are 2.32 lb (I like the rind-ons because the rinds after smoking are great flavor enhancers for beans and stews). There are a lot of these stores in the West - CA, NV, OR, WA, and ID.

Redzed - there's a Cash and Carry in Bellingham.

Cheers,
Jeff
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 22:07

Cabonaia wrote:Redzed - there's a Cash and Carry in Bellingham.
Thanks Jeff, I will check them out next time I swing by Bellingham. I see on their current flyer that they also have boneless chicken thighs on sale right now, but you have to buy a 40lb. box!