Anyone poached sausages in a croc pot?

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Anyone poached sausages in a croc pot?

Post by markjass » Tue Jan 06, 2015 09:14

I am smoking some of my cured garlic and cognac sausages. After smoking I am going to poach them. They will be too long for my pot unless I use my fish poacher across two elements. I was wondering if I could use my slow cooker/crockpot. I was wondering how long it would take? There must be enough heat as it cooks a leg of lamb on high in about 6hrs. Has anyone done this?
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jan 06, 2015 16:32

Mark
If you want to poach them to finish for later consumption you would want to regulate the temp of the water bath to around 160 - 165f and cook till desired internal temp....around 150 -155f for most products. Time would vary depending on the caliber of the chubs
ajwillsnet
User
User

poaching

Post by ajwillsnet » Tue Jan 06, 2015 19:01

Hi Mark: Getting the right poaching temperature is the key here. I use a turkey roaster filled with water and an external in line thermostat that I can set a specific temperature of the water, such as 180 degrees and then monitor the IT of the chubs to a final temperature of 152 degrees.
Hope this helps.

Bert
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Jan 07, 2015 09:44

Thanks. I used my fish fish poacher and kept a track of the stocks temperature. Next time I use my slow cooker I will measure the temperature when it is set on high and low.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime