Hot Italian Today

William O Young

Hot Italian Today

Post by William O Young » Wed Dec 11, 2019 00:34

Playing around with one of my latest hobbies again today .
Made a eight pound batch of hot Italian sausage and they taste awesome. The patties are from cleaning out the bottom of the stuffer and the tube. .

Butterbean

Re: Hot Italian Today

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 11, 2019 00:37

Those look terrific. I love Italian sausages. Very nice flavor and useful in so many dishes.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 11, 2019 05:53

One of my perennial favorites. Today I had lunch at an Italian restaurant in Phoenix. I ordered a pasta dish that included a whole Italian sausage. It was awful. Reafirmed my reasons why I make my own.

What recipe did you use William?
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 14:24

Yesterday I made 8 kilos of Marianski's Sweet Italian. I make a lot of salsiccia con rabe (sp?). Basically bitter greens like broccoli raab with sausage and orrechiette pasta. I have come to the conclusion that since I always use Italian sausage as an ingredient there is no point casing it for me. I put it into one and two pound ground meat bags like commerical breakfast sausage comes in. No reason taking the time and expense to case it simply to decase it when using.

When I tasted it, I was surprised that it was a bit salty to me and then even more so when I realized it was 1.8%. Maybe I didn't blend it as well as I thought? I did mix the spices with 800 ml of water as directed so it should have blended well. I double checked my calcs were accurate. I used 144 grams for the 8 kilos. I'm wondering if for fresh sausages to be fully cooked if I shouldn't drop back to 1.5%. Heck when I cook I can add salt if needed similar to what I do by adding calabrian peppers to the mix when cooking.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Jul 21, 2020 21:07

I think it all has to do with your personal preference.