Mixing salami meat

bluc
Frequent User
Frequent User

Mixing salami meat

Post by bluc » Thu Sep 10, 2020 07:07

Another newbie question. When mixing meat for salami should I :
A) fully cure meat, grind then add spices and starter culture mix and then stuff and ferment
B) mince meat, mix through salt and cure let stand 24hrs. Then mix spices starter culture and then stuff and ferment
C) mince meat add all ingredients while Mixing stuff and ferment.

I am aware of methods for mixing grinding and re hydrating starter /cases and mould 600. Just wont to know best practise to tie it together.

Also what risks in salami making are natural casing. And in this case are dehydrated cases safer then fresh?
One more parcel and I can start 8)
redzed

Re: Mixing salami meat

Post by redzed » Sun Sep 13, 2020 19:10

You can do A or C. I would not do B because there is no benefit in doing that and you are further exposing the batter to unwanted bacteria. By using method A, your meat will firm up after cubing it and curing for 48hrs, it will grind better and you wont need to to mix it for as long to extract the myosin since the salt has been already absorbed by the meat. Therefore you have less chance of fat smearing, which is one of the biggest reasons for salami failure. You can also add the starter culture at the same time as the spices right after the grind. In doing the C method wait until the salt and cure is well distributed in the farce before adding the starter culture. Before grinding. freeze the fat in small cubes, semi freeze the meat, grind both together and keep the batter cold up to the stuffing.

There are no risks in using natural casings. They adhere better to the meat and shrink as the salami dries, they take on mould better and they contain desirable gram positive bacteria. And natural casings give the salami that rustic artisanal look. What do you mean by fresh casings? Are you referring to casing freshly cleaned from a freshly slaughtered animal? Most casings available to us are partially dehydrated and packed in salt.
bluc
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bluc » Mon Sep 14, 2020 02:00

Yea by fresh I meant soft casing packed in salt like you use for fresh sausage. These natural ones are fully dried not in salt. Need to be rehydrated..
bluc
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bluc » Mon Sep 14, 2020 04:41

Joe Wood

Post by Joe Wood » Sun Sep 27, 2020 16:06

Hello,
I think I'm about two months ahead of you on this same subject... Very new ... I've read everything I can find on salami curing {charcutiere}... I've picked up some good tips along the way... Here are a few...

1.Use an 80% meat to 20% fat... Hold the fat aside...
2. Mix the meat, spices, pink salt and regular salt together
3.Kosher salt should be 3% of the total batch weight... This does not include the pink curing salt
3. The fat will not absorb the spices so add it in LAST,
4. Now is time to stuff the casings of your choice...

NOTE : the meat can be all beef, all pork or any blend of meats... I use 50/50 pork butt and lean beef & 20% pork belly fat
LASTLY.... I AM NOT BY ANY MEASURE AN AUTHORITY ON THIS... IF I'VE STEPPED ON ANYONE'S TOES PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES...
Joe Wood
bluc
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bluc » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:04

I have actually thought doing just this. Mix meat spice culture till it just goes tacky add backfat mix till even profit. First lot in two days :shock:
bluc
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bluc » Fri Oct 02, 2020 22:57

Does liquid smoke effect starter culters? Thinking of experimenting with it in pepperoni. As I cant cold smoke at moment..
bluc
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bluc » Fri Oct 02, 2020 23:19

Also am ai supposed to rehydrate starter culture? Following the book "home product of quality meats" for pepperoni it uses tspx but it doesnt mention mixing with water just says mix all ingrediants?