Bydgoska and Polska kielbasa wedzona Questions

BlueMonkey
User
User

Bydgoska and Polska kielbasa wedzona Questions

Post by BlueMonkey » Fri Oct 02, 2020 03:45

Hi All,
I have a couple of questions regarding the above Salamis I am hoping people could help me out on please.
Referring to Marianski recipes.
Í have some butchered Pork turning up tomorrow, and some of it was earmarked for either 1 of the above ( not yet decided), but I have just noticed I don’t have any natural casings in the required size left.
I do have some tubes of collagen casing that I keep for sausage emergencies, so I was wondering if this would make a suitable replacement, or should I freeze the pork to a later date ( in this climate it is taking a minimum of a week to 10 days to get butcher supplies – so cant just start curing and wait)
Would the collagen be tough enough, shrink correctly (I usually go to about 20% weight loss - though it is technically ready after 13%), and would it take in smoke okay?
Second part of the question relates to the 2 salamis, which are near identical in ingredients, both require the same weight loss ( 13%) same diameter hog casing, but have different cures.
Polska Kielbasa Wedzona has cure #2, and Bydgoska has cure #1.
Is this an author mistake, and they should both be #1? ( Typically I find it takes less than 2 weeks to get to the 13% required loss), or should they both be cure #2 ( and wait for a few months before eating)? Or is the indicated cures in the books correct?
Thanks so much for your input.
so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Bydgoska and Polska kielbasa wedzona Questions

Post by so_not_rad » Fri Oct 02, 2020 09:25

Hi there BlueMonkey!
Interesting, I just looked at my book and they both had Cure #1 written for both.
As to the casings, you can most definitely use collagen casings, I've been using them for when I make Semi dry- cooked pepperoni and they work out just fine. They take smoke in, and they shrink accordingly with the meat.
As to the cures, by my experience cure #2 should be applied to any products, that are not going to be cooked, and will be consumed raw.
So I would use cure #2 for both of the sausages since you're going to cold smoke them.
But then again, there might be something that i'm not aware of. So hopefully one the more experienced guys on this board will respond to your question!
Good Luck!
Rad
redzed

Re: Bydgoska and Polska kielbasa wedzona Questions

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 04, 2020 07:45

Hi Antony,
Looks like I aready answered your question regarding the cures on another group page. As to the collagen question, no one can answer that because collagen casings are not all the same. Many have discovered that some collagen casings are not suitable for fermented dried sausages since they don't adhere and shrink in tandem with the meat. Some are sold as being suitable for both smoked/cooked products and dry cured sausages. You will have to get an answer to that question from from your supplier or the manufacturer. I use a type of collagen casings made especially for salami type products.